Crazy to drive from SJ to LA by myself?

I'll pass on you some valuable advice we received when we were travelling down to the mouse in Feb/09. I would leave around 8am and get there around 1pm. Any time after 2:30pm the I-5 becomes a parking lot with commuters. So it couldn't hurt to leave even an extra 30 mins early, as it could mean avoiding heavy traffic in the afternoon, and would give you an extra cushion of time if you decide to make any unexpected pit stops along the way.

Thanks for the tip. I'll be stopping by the Los Angeles Convention Center to pick DH up from the E3 Expo (he's out at 5pm so I guess I'll have to find something to do until then) :) I have not yet mapped everything out...does the I-5 also take me to the LACC or is there another freeway I would take that branches off of it?

You are not crazy.
I did this drive from the Bay Area last year...twice with my two kids..no other adult to share in the driving:laughing:

It was fine.
The kids watched a DVD and after stopping for lunch halfway down they fell asleep and woke up after we passed magic Mountain.
The worst part is the loooong stretch once you get into LA and sit in traffic crawling at 10 miles per hour with kids asking how much longer.

Before departing on your solo driving trip I would suggest going to the library and checking out some books on CD. That saved me!!
I still listen to audio books even while just driving on everyday errands.

Next time we will stop for a potty break before the grapevine so nobody is doing the pee pee dance (me)while sitting in that LA traffic.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter