Crazy to drive from SJ to LA by myself?

cooniez

Mouseketeer
I will need to meet DH at the E3 Expo @ the LA Convention Center, which means that I'll be driving w/a toddler and a tween by myself...is this crazy? My girls don't fight (too much) and I was confident that I could do this...until I told my mom our plans and she made me second-guess myself. She told me "It's a long drive...someone should go with you!" I asked her who could go with me if DH is already in LA? :confused3 I told her if she wanted to volunteer to drive down w/me I'd pay for her ticket back, but of course she can't. Is it really going to be that bad? We're leaving June 17th (a Thursday), so I'm sure we'll be right in the middle of traffic...in the heat, but I just don't see any other way. FWIW, when I was pregnant with DD2 we drove from SJ to Seattle (16 hours?) and I even attempted to take turns driving (didn't work)...now THAT is a long drive! I'm just thinking it's another game completely now that I have a spunky toddler in the mix.

I think it's up to you.

I've made several drives by myself with two young children. I used to take my kids to Yosemite (7-hour drive) when they were 4/5 years old, and back in those days my ex-mother-in-law told me that she didn't like the idea of me driving by myself. I told her if I waited until there was another adult to do things I would never get anywhere -- I have since driven to San Francisco by myself, and El Paso (12-hour drive) by myself several times, with and without my children throughout the years.

If you think you can do it, then do it. :)

I would just make sure you have a couple of stops to stretch your legs & let the little one out, too - maybe stop at a cafe along the way. Give your tween the map & the responsibility of making sure you turn at the right places (I would make sure myself, but give the tween the impression you are relying on her). Give a map to the toddler, too, and if she doesn't get bored, have the tween help her mark down the places you pass. On the way back you can have them mark off the spots again & they will see how much more to get home.

I think it's up to you.

I've made several drives by myself with two young children. I used to take my kids to Yosemite (7-hour drive) when they were 4/5 years old, and back in those days my ex-mother-in-law told me that she didn't like the idea of me driving by myself. I told her if I waited until there was another adult to do things I would never get anywhere --

I was thinking it would be no picnic, but that I could do it...until mom got me wondering whether it was a good idea or not. I just really don't want to be stuck in a hotel for 3 days with the girls while DH is at the E3 Expo. That was what we were considering at first, but then figured it's less money if we don't go with him and just join him for DL later. My worry is that I won't have enough rest and won't have another adult/driver to take turns with. I'm not much of a coffee/energy drink-er, but it looks like there may be some in my future!

I don't drink coffee, but would take apples on the trip (they are great for energy). I've also taken a couple of Exedrin for the caffeine boost.

You know best whether you can drive it or not. I think it's really up to the individual. I think nothing of a weekend trip to Yosemite or San Francisco as the sole driver. But, it might be different for you.

If you feel tired, you can always stop and stretch your legs a bit.

I find this question a little funny. But I live in the middle of nowhere and half day drives are nothing to me. To give you an idea, I live about 100 miles from a Walmart.

I've driven long distances with my son and the only problem is stopping often for the bathroom. but for the most part he sleeps. I try to get half of it done before lunch. Let him run around a bunch, play on a play ground and eat. Then the second half takes a little longer.

I really liked what Mary Jo said about giving your tween the map. That will give her some purpose if for nothing else seeing how much further you have to go.

You can do it!:cheer2: You can do it! :cheer2:

Have you made the trip before? If so, you should be able to know exactly how long it will take you and maybe where the best places to stop are. If not, research!!! Giving your tween some responsibility for the trip may make it go by faster for her, and and far as your spunky toddler goes... does she still nap? If so, can you try to time the trip so that she can at least get a good nap in? My kids don't nap anymore, but will occasionally sleep in the car, so we try to plan our trip down hoping they will sleep at least some of the way.

I would say that you should get yourself some good music that you can all listen to together, maybe pre-plan some verbal car games that you and your older can do together (looking for certain things on the trip down, counting different license plates, etc.), and make sure to stop before you feel it necessary. Bring lots of snacks, water, etc. and maybe even a few new toys for your little one to help keep her entertained, and everyone else happy!

And if your mom is concerned, tell her that you will call and check in with her every couple of hours, and that if she doesn't hear from you to send out the search party! :goodvibes

You can do it!
My only suggestion would be to leave by 9 am, at the latest. That way, you can get to LA around 2:00, and hopefully miss the commuter traffic. I have left from San Jose around noon before, and it took me a couple of hours to get to Disneyland from LA. Not fun!

I don't drink coffee, but would take apples on the trip (they are great for energy). I've also taken a couple of Exedrin for the caffeine boost.

You know best whether you can drive it or not. I think it's really up to the individual. I think nothing of a weekend trip to Yosemite or San Francisco as the sole driver. But, it might be different for you.

An hour or so drive is not so bad, but since it can be 7-8 hrs (maybe more) if traffic is bad I'm starting to worry about falling asleep or the girls going crazy (esp. w/the seeds of doubt my mom planted!) ;) DD has been sleeping at 4 in the morning ever since she got sick about a month ago, but hopefully we can train her in the next 2 weeks to sleep a bit earlier so I can get some sleep!

I find this question a little funny. But I live in the middle of nowhere and half day drives are nothing to me. To give you an idea, I live about 100 miles from a Walmart.

I've driven long distances with my son and the only problem is stopping often for the bathroom. but for the most part he sleeps. I try to get half of it done before lunch.

Yes, I suppose I am a bit spoiled living here in the Bay Area where there are 50 Starbucks and 10 Target stores within a 50 mile radius ;)

You can do it!:cheer2: You can do it! :cheer2:

Have you made the trip before? If so, you should be able to know exactly how long it will take you and maybe where the best places to stop are. If not, research!!! Giving your tween some responsibility for the trip may make it go by faster for her, and and far as your spunky toddler goes... does she still nap? If so, can you try to time the trip so that she can at least get a good nap in? My kids don't nap anymore, but will occasionally sleep in the car, so we try to plan our trip down hoping they will sleep at least some of the way.

And if your mom is concerned, tell her that you will call and check in with her every couple of hours, and that if she doesn't hear from you to send out the search party! :goodvibes

Thanks for the tips! Yes, DD2 still naps so hopefully she will be tired and sleep most of the way. My fear is that all of us may fall asleep on the drive (it's possible...happened to someone I know!) :scared1: I should go one step further than you suggested and give my mom a map of my planned stops or maybe just put one of those Lojack tracking things on my car so she can find me ;)

You can do it!
My only suggestion would be to leave by 9 am, at the latest. That way, you can get to LA around 2:00, and hopefully miss the commuter traffic. I have left from San Jose around noon before, and it took me a couple of hours to get to Disneyland from LA. Not fun!

Thanks for the tip...I forgot to ask what's a good time to leave. I heard the traffic is always bad in LA, but I'm sure it will be doubly so when people start getting out of work around 3!

...(esp. w/the seeds of doubt my mom planted!)...

My fear is that all of us may fall asleep on the drive (it's possible...happened to someone I know!) :scared1:

I think you need to forget the seeds of doubt. This is not a huge drive. And you're not alone.

DH used to fall asleep while driving, but it turns out that it was a reaction his body has to sodas with HFCS in them. No Cokes etc, no more falling asleep.

I grew up in SJ, and when there, I felt like southern CA was a continent away...now I feel silly for having thought that (and having bought in to my parents acting like it was a million miles away). Did Tacoma to Santa Cruz many times in college, and did Santa Cruz to Anaheim without a problem (though we hit quite a bit of random traffic, and it took us far longer than it should have taken).

My dad once drove us from SJ to Yellowstone (not all in one day, but still), and he was the only one driving, with me and my brother (I was probably 10, brother was 8), and our 1 year old half-brother. Not a problem at all.

An hour or so drive is not so bad, but since it can be 7-8 hrs (maybe more) if traffic is bad I'm starting to worry about falling asleep or the girls going crazy (esp. w/the seeds of doubt my mom planted!) ;) DD has been sleeping at 4 in the morning ever since she got sick about a month ago, but hopefully we can train her in the next 2 weeks to sleep a bit earlier so I can get some sleep!

Yes, I suppose I am a bit spoiled living here in the Bay Area where there are 50 Starbucks and 10 Target stores within a 50 mile radius ;)
!

I know how nice it is to be down the street from anything I lives in SD for a bit. Just enough time to get used to driving in cities. Then I went rural again. :confused3

Still though, If you time it for the middle of the day so leave at 9 arrive at 4 you could miss the rush hours. Or hop on the road early before traffic begins. It will be hours your normally awake.

DH used to fall asleep while driving, but it turns out that it was a reaction his body has to sodas with HFCS in them. No Cokes etc, no more falling asleep.

Has he tried the Pepsi kickback or Dr. pepper made with sugar?

I agree with the others who said you can do it! :thumbsup2 I've driven from our home (Nevada County) to LA alone with the kids several times, and it's been fine. (DS10 and I even drove to San Diego alone when he was 5.) As long as you plan ahead for a potty break or two, and time your travel so you miss rush hour leaving home and arriving in LA, it's not a big deal. Oh, and don't let them fill up on juice or other drinks; give them just enough to stay hydrated! I try to stop in places that I know are clean and fairly busy, like Harris Ranch, or a Starbucks. Also, as the others said, a supply of snacks is essential. And quiet toys. Go for it! :goodvibes

If I can do it you can! Our drive is about 6.5 hrs, I did with just the girls and myself once when DBF couldn't get a couple days off for DD13's casting call. I just drove it, made sure I had gum, sunflower seeds and plenty of water to drink and it was no big deal. I thought for sure I would fall asleep (I usually do when DBF is driving) but no, I didn't, it wasn't "fun" but it wasn't "that bad" either. You can totally do it!

And quiet toys.

Amen to quiet toys!!! :thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:laughing:

My kids once had one of those electronic key rings that made noises like a car and it had a siren noise on it. They pressed the button while we were on the road and I panicked because I thought a cop was pulling me over! :laughing:

Thanks everyone for the vote(s) of confidence! Can't believe we'll be leaving in a little over a week from now...there's so much that needs to be done! :scared1: DD2 still hasn't changed her napping/sleeping habits...the suddenly warm weather has almost assured she won't nap during the day :sad2: I think I will try to take the advice of those from my area who left around 9ish to beat the bulk of the LA traffic. If anyone has any tips for navigating the area around the Los Angeles Convention Center...I'll be picking DH up on Thursday the 17th from the E3 Expo. I'm sure it will be crazy since he gets out around 5 or 6pm when everyone's off work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Jo

I just wanted to clarifiy -- I was talking about me driving to San Francisco & Yosemite (7-8 hours) for the weekend as the sole driver. :) I live a little south of the LAX airport, and have driven to both for the weekend with young children, and had no problems.

I agree with the others, put the seeds of doubt away, and think positive. :)

You'll be hitting LA during a busy time, so just take a deep breath and plan for the extra time on the freeway.

You'll do great! :thumbsup2

Amen to quiet toys!!! :thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:laughing:

My kids once had one of those electronic key rings that made noises like a car and it had a siren noise on it. They pressed the button while we were on the road and I panicked because I thought a cop was pulling me over! :laughing:

:lmao: Yes!!! DS10, when he was little, had a toy steering wheel that made that siren sound. We drove to Washington and back with that thing in the car. Every time we hid it, he retrieved it, only to spring that sound on us again!

If you have a GPS use it....we LOVE our Garmin for driving thru LA. It's re-routed us a time or two and really saved us some time and our sanity. LOL

My girls have Nintendo DS's that they take with them, they also have MP3 players that they take with them. DD13's broke so for her 8th grade promotion she got a new iTouch, I'm sure that will entertain her to no end when we head to Vegas in 2 weeks. LOL
We also have a minivan and a DVD player built in, if you don't have that then maybe a portable DVD player or a laptop with headphones? They can watch movies and the headphones will keep it quiet. Our DVD players has headphones for the girls to use if we dont' want to listen to the movie.
Coloring books (I suggest colored pencils or the twistable crayons as opposed to regular crayons or markers), story books, card games they can play together. Bottles of water, snacks (we love goldfish!), and if they get antsy just stop when you can and let them run for a while. Taking a 15-30 min break every few hours isn't that bad in the overall scheme of the drive. :)

I just wanted to clarifiy -- I was talking about me driving to San Francisco & Yosemite (7-8 hours) for the weekend as the sole driver. :) I live a little south of the LAX airport, and have driven to both for the weekend with young children, and had no problems.

Is LAX close to the Los Angeles convention center? I believe pp's mentioned if I left around 9am that I might get to LA around 2pm...is it really bad around that area at that time or should I try to arrive earlier?

:lmao: Yes!!! DS10, when he was little, had a toy steering wheel that made that siren sound. We drove to Washington and back with that thing in the car. Every time we hid it, he retrieved it, only to spring that sound on us again!

:rotfl:

If you have a GPS use it....we LOVE our Garmin for driving thru LA. It's re-routed us a time or two and really saved us some time and our sanity. LOL

My girls have Nintendo DS's that they take with them

Yes, we have a GPS that we got as a gift & DD1 also has a Nintendo DS. I'll have to make sure to remember to bring those two...our toddler will probably be entertained for a bit watching big sis play on the DS (or by trying to take it from her)! :lmao:

I'll pass on you some valuable advice we received when we were travelling down to the mouse in Feb/09. I would leave around 8am and get there around 1pm. Any time after 2:30pm the I-5 becomes a parking lot with commuters. So it couldn't hurt to leave even an extra 30 mins early, as it could mean avoiding heavy traffic in the afternoon, and would give you an extra cushion of time if you decide to make any unexpected pit stops along the way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter