Crazy babies

twinmomplus2

DIS Veteran
anyone have an answer for this? My two year old twins Painted an entire wall,That was painted last week by the way, and Part of the rug, and the window and themselves, with a large jar of Vaseline Nursery size.....Have scrubbed and scrubbed but as it's water soluable there is still a thick sheen on everything including the babies. Any ideas at on how to get it off the walls , eventually it will wear off them, but the walls aren't in the tub twice a day. I might add this is the third time they have painted my walls, First with craft paint pens. (while mom was in the shower) The second time balmex, This time mom was peeling potatoes for dinner, Any advice would be appreciated. ITs such a mess.

No advice but you gave me a good laugh. Did you laugh or cry???

Hang in there, its get better! At least for a while and then they will be teenagers!!!!

jordan's mom

My DS did this when he was 1 1/2. He had it on himself and almost every toy in the toy box, plus the wood floors. Vaseline + wood floors = slippery :D

I think most of it just had to wear off, with occasional wipings with paper towels or towels. It will take a while to go away totally, but I promise it will be funny in a few years.

Do your children have an easel?

You mean you weren't sitting on the couch eating bon-bons when they did this? LOL. I can sympathize. I have a 2 yr old who gets into everything as soon as I turn my back. She is only quiet for two reasons: she is sleeping or getting into trouble. I use Lestoil on oily stains it seems to cut grease the best. Try it undiluted on the stain. You may have to repaint. If you do treat the walls first with a good primer/sealer like "Kilz". I often refer to this website: ehow.com for cleaning and laundry advice. I already checked for anything on vaseline and found nothing. They did, however, have tips on getting wax off of things. Since wax is basically an oil, you could try some of those ideas. At any rate, it is a good website. Check it out.
When my 1st was about 18 mo old he got into a bottle of vegtable oil in our basement. Along with getting it all over, he put his greasy handprint on the unpainted wooden stair. As he grew that handprint stayed there and everytime I pass it I remember that little boy. He is now 13 and 1/2.:D

Yes, I laughed it was either that or cry. and they were pretty proud of themselves.and on to part 4 while I was cleaning the vaseline on the walls again this am. They got a jar of craft paint from the master bedroom closet from like 4 years ago, and painted the rug I caught them in the act, as to the bon bons, I wish I had the time. In response to the Query do they have an Easel. After the last wall episode we actually ordered a Classroom blackboard from a teachers supply warehouse mounted it on the wall. This is a real blackboard, 4 feet by 3 feet, Bought real school erasers, and Funky chalk, Icecream shapes, Animal etc.... Cleary being destrucive is more fun....Todays mission is toys r us. to buy those door knob covers that babies can not open.We have them in several places, I hate to have to put them everywhere, But it looks like its the only way to stop them> I do after all do have to take a shower......Now I wish I used a crib so I could time them out in it... But alas I did not.... Off to Toys R us.

The best trick my sister taught me for time out is to do it in the bath tub! It's cold and boring!!! My kids hated time outs more than ever after that! Amazing how we ended up with fewer time outs!
Another suggestion is to lock everything up in cabinets that can cause a mess. Put baby locks on the cabinet doors. I had to do that even with markers and crayons with my son after he colored the sofa. Bundles of joy!!!!

If you have avid scribblers, it is actually not a half-bad way to cope. You do it like wainscoting. Basically, you take particleboard sheets and paint them with chalkboard paint, then attach them to the lower walls. Put moulding along the top, and also some reversed crown moulding along the bottom, to act as a chalk-rail.
My mom loved his solution, she just ran a vacuum hose along the chalk rail to pick up the dust, and I could draw on walls to my heart's content without getting in trouble.

Of course, vaseline would have been something of a problem, but you can't have everything. BTW, did you try full-strength Joy dishwashing liquid on the walls? That's what most professional cleaning services use to remove grease; let it sit for awhile and then take it off with a wet sponge.

It might work. It cuts through lots of greasy stuff. I buy a brand at Home Depot but most stores now carry orange cleaners. Several years ago my friend's kids at ages 4 and 3 slipped into the basement and turned over several paint cans. Two of them opened and the kids had a ball splashing and rolling in the mess.

Try Pine-Sol or Murphy Oil Soap. Hey, those doorknob things work really well, too! We just took ours off--the three-year-old graduated to using the stairs whenever she wants!

Oh My God!! I am laughing so hard I can hardly type.

Why, you ask? Because my twin brother and I did the same thing to my parents when we were 18 mos. old. We even added the decorator touch of baby powder and 5 lbs. of sugar. I, of course, remember nothing of this incident, but the mere mention of it is enough to get my father's BP up!

I would recommend some heavy duty de-greaser and lots of kilz over the offending (offended??) area.

Just so you know, the "mother's curse" (I hope you have kids just like you!) has come home to roost. I have a 3 yo who thinks that the wallls were put up for him to color on!

Good luck to you.

Amy:D

Try Dawn dish detergent. I got vaseline in my hair years ago. This was the only soap that would remove it. Not sure what it would do to the paint. So, I would test it in a small corner first.

No advice. Just be glad the twins used something nice like vaseline for the painting. My sister's twins used something that didn't smell nearly as nice and I'm not going to tell you what it was because it makes me gag to discuss it. Just use your imagination and think "diaper".

Katholyn

I just found this thread due to a link on the CB that was posted because of my DS. Last year he got into Desitin and I came to the boards for help. I was told a lot of things, but the best was Goo Gone. Coincidentally I had just bought a big bottle a week earlier. It really worked through that tough grease feeling...even in DS's hair.
Good luck!

Originally posted by CamColt
I just found this thread due to a link on the CB that was posted because of my DS. Last year he got into Desitin and I came to the boards for help. I was told a lot of things, but the best was Goo Gone. Coincidentally I had just bought a big bottle a week earlier. It really worked through that tough grease feeling...even in DS's hair.
Good luck!

I have used the goo gone too and it works pretty good. I have also heard that babypowder can help remove oil type stains. Good luck!

No advice, but I am laughing so hard and being very thankful that my son is 12!

:teeth: :teeth: :teeth: You have managed to make me feel better about my 18 month old. She has been getting into everything and the house always looks like a bomb hit it lately but your guys took the cake! Sorry I don't have any advice but just know that you have my sympathy.

Would TSP take it out? I haven't read the container - but we use it to prep the walls before we paint, so it might help.
Hang in there Mom!

OMG! I was laughing so hard at this thread!!! WHY?? because when my DS was 2 he got into my......ok I can say this!!!!!....my PREPARATION H!!!! He had it smeared everywhere in the bathroom, the floor, rugs, sink, shower, tub you name it. My bathroom was tiny!! I think it was smaller afterwards!!! lol anyway to make it worse I sat on the toilet seat just looking around at the mess that I had to clean up and I didn't check to see what I was SITTING on!!! Yuppers you guessed it but I didn't KNOW it till later that night when I was getting undressed and noticed that the seat of my PANTS was kinda wet and greasy!!! So the next a.m. I wound up "hunting" down every place I had sat the night before!!! What a mess I had!!! My mil thought it was hysterical!!! I just chalk it up to another thing I can tell my DS's girlfriend/wife in years to come!!!!

My DH used to work at an Ace hardware and paint store. He suggested that, if all else fails, try WD40 to get the vaseline off and then put on an oil-based primer before you repaint. Hope you don't have to go that extreme, tho. Good luck and thanks for the laugh.:)

I didn't know weather to laugh or feel bad. :D When my twins were 2 I had to put EVERYTHING out of little hands reach and every cabinet had a lock on it. On the positive side: it looks like your twins work well together as a team. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter