Cozumel pier with mobility issues

yorkieteacher

DIS Veteran
My husband can’t walk long distances ( over about 50-75 feet) without resting a bit due to back issues and sciatica. How long a walk is it from the ship to the end of the pier? Are pedicabs around to hire for this? He doesn’t want to use a scooter or wheelchair, and would probably just stay on the ship.

The walk from the ship itself to the port building at Punta Langosta Pier isn't that long at all; the real distance comes in getting through the port building itself (which is like a big outdoor mall with two levels) to the area where transportation is. That said, there were a handful of places that he could sit along the way.

Here is a photo of the walk from the end of the pier back to the ship taken pre-covid. There is usually a ramp at the forward deck 1 to get on to give you an idea of how long the walk might be.

There appears to be pedicabs available.

My husband can’t walk long distances ( over about 50-75 feet) without resting a bit due to back issues and sciatica. How long a walk is it from the ship to the end of the pier? Are pedicabs around to hire for this? He doesn’t want to use a scooter or wheelchair, and would probably just stay on the ship.
That area is "scooter friendly" if he has one on the ship.

My dad is 80 and just on Magic at Cozumel on March 1 (10 days ago) yes the pedicab is available and they run frequently. We did not use them we had to borrow a wheelchair for my mom and then while she was sleeping we put him in it to get to the port and he chose to stay in at the entire time we were at the mall.

We were in Cozumel in June. The pedicab is free but a tip is appreciated. If you are just planning to shop once you get off of the ship there are plenty of places to sit at the open air mall. I've traveled with my parents who both have mobility issues and are unable to walk long distances. Has he considered a rollader walker? It has a seat so my parents can sit as needed so they don't need to find a seat. It folds pretty compactly.

If using a folding manual wheelchair, is it easy to get a taxi that it fits into? There would be 2 adults and 3 teens.

If using a folding manual wheelchair, is it easy to get a taxi that it fits into? There would be 2 adults and 3 teens.
If the first cab can’t take you the next should. But 5 people might have to be a van and of course that shouldn’t be a problem at all. More expensive but more cargo space.

There are complimentary pedicabs that will take you from the ship to the port building but tips are appreciated.

We were in Cozumel 2 weeks ago today and saw these.

If you expand this picture you can see some up near the buildings. There are also others out of the picture but right where our ship was docking.

A4B93CAE-66B7-41FD-9169-7AA6E47C0E5B.jpeg

The walk is quite a distance for someone with mobility challenges and I don’t believe I see places to sit.

That area is "scooter friendly" if he has one on the ship.
This answers a question I was going to post. Thank you.
I am assuming then there is an elevator to get you to the 2nd floor and across the street for shopping?
Also have you tried the scooter on the main drag at all? I know it is pretty tight but we thought MIL might want to do a little shopping close to the pier.

I am assuming then there is an elevator to get you to the 2nd floor and across the street for shopping?
Also have you tried the scooter on the main drag at all? I know it is pretty tight but we thought MIL might want to do a little shopping close to the pier.
Yes, we've gone down the street in both directions. Curb ramps and store ramps are obviously not as well designed as they are in the US, but they are usable with some caution.

Yes, we've gone down the street in both directions. Curb ramps and store ramps are obviously not as well designed as they are in the US, but they are usable with some caution.
Great thank you! One more question if you don't mind, do they allow them on the tender? MIL is mobile but a scooter in port will definitely make her life easier

We were there 5 months ago. You go up a ramp on the right at the end of pier. Pass one shop of jewelry I think then scope out the second floor.
Make time to take a picture on 2nd with Cozumel sign. There’s a line.
Second elevator is available on mall side so you never have to cross the street.

We were there 5 months ago. You go up a ramp on the right at the end of pier. Pass one shop of jewelry I think then scope out the second floor.
Make time to take a picture on 2nd with Cozumel sign. There’s a line.
Second elevator is available on mall side so you never have to cross the street.
Thanks. We have been to Cozumel a dozen times but it is always just me and DH so we just go - having MIL with us adds a new dynamic and we realize the things we never noticed before. DH and I will probably head out to Mega on our own before we do anything. I think we will try to do an excursion with her this trip. She likes crafts so probably the pinata tour. It's her trip so whatever she wants.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter