Covid positive more than 10 days prior to cruise.

dtk07

Mouseketeer
If a person were to test positive three weeks before their cruise they would likely test positive on the port despite being past the point of being contagious. Many venues allow a person to attend with the above scenario to attend events with proof of the above. What is Disney's policy on this? Would it be beneficial to test a couple weeks early to weed out an early asymptomatic case?

I can't seem to find a clear answer for this. Sorry if I missed it here somewhere.

No positives here, just seeking clarification on a realistic scenario.

Safe Passage will accept a clear to travel note from your doctor if you had a positive test within 90 days but you've since recovered. Numerous posters on this forum have done that recently.

There's probably not much point in testing a few weeks out, though, unless you plan to keep on testing every few days.

I was wondering this as well. My plan is to test a few weeks out so that if there is a positive (one of my daughters had Covid so I'm worried she will still test positive), we have time to "recover" and submit the 90 day recovered exemption to Safe Passage.

I figure it also covers my bases if one of us has been a non symtomatic positive in the last 90 days - which also may produce a supreise positive a the port.

Last edited:
I tested positive a month before sailing and was still positive when I tested 10 days later. There is a place on Safe Passage for a 90 day exemption so you just need to upload a note from your doctor saying that you recovered and also upload your PCR test that shows you tested positive. It can't be a rapid antigen, so make sure you take a PCR test if you didn't. Within a day, I got the green light that it was approved. When I arrived at the port, they handed me a testing kit because the staff who administers the test doesn't know who has the exemption. I simply showed them my Safe Passage info and I did not have to test. It was easy.

I tested positive a month before sailing and was still positive when I tested 10 days later. There is a place on Safe Passage for a 90 day exemption so you just need to upload a note from your doctor saying that you recovered and also upload your PCR test that shows you tested positive. It can't be a rapid antigen, so make sure you take a PCR test if you didn't. Within a day, I got the green light that it was approved. When I arrived at the port, they handed me a testing kit because the staff who administers the test doesn't know who has the exemption. I simply showed them my Safe Passage info and I did not have to test. It was easy.
Did your safe passage switch over to "clear to sail" when your exemption approval came back? Or was there an additional step you needed to do at port?

Did your safe passage switch over to "clear to sail" when your exemption approval came back? Or was there an additional step you needed to do at port?
Yes, once I downloaded the documentation, it was reviewed and then I got the green "clear to sail." At the port I just showed them this and that was it, pretty easy.

Do you know what the letter your doctor wrote said? Is there specific wording we need?

thanks.

I have done some internet research...nothing conclusive but it seems between 10% and 30% of people test positive on a PCR up to 12 weeks past infection. That is what worries me. People who are asymptomatic, recovered, didn't know they had it and then test positive at the port. You can test negative on a rapid test which shows active infection but positive on a PCR.

MJ

Hi.

We are not symptomatic. For peace of mind we will PCR test 12 days out on 1/11/22. (Safe Passage mentions 11-90 days from date of sailing for the window where the 90 day pre-cruise test exemption might be considered.). We sail on 1/22/22.

If test shows positive 12 days from sailing, does the doctor letter need to be dated a minimum of days from the PCR test?

Hi.

We are not symptomatic. For peace of mind we will PCR test 12 days out on 1/11/22. (Safe Passage mentions 11-90 days from date of sailing for the window where the 90 day pre-cruise test exemption might be considered.). We sail on 1/22/22.

If test shows positive 12 days from sailing, does the doctor letter need to be dated a minimum of days from the PCR test?

That's probably a question best directed to your doctor. Some doctors aren't comfortable writing these letters at all. Others might have a minimum time frame in mind or might require an examination before writing the letter.

Are vaccines still required if a positive test and clearance is presented within that 90 day window?

My grandson got Covid in November and they took him got him tested it was positive. Like the next day my daughter started showing symptoms. She took an at home Covid test and was positive,but it’s like a pregnancy test so she really doesn’t have proof of when she initially tested positive. Can she still get a 90 exemption if she has a note from a doctor clearing her?

My grandson got Covid in November and they took him got him tested it was positive. Like the next day my daughter started showing symptoms. She took an at home Covid test and was positive,but it’s like a pregnancy test so she really doesn’t have proof of when she initially tested positive. Can she still get a 90 exemption if she has a note from a doctor clearing her?

Yes, they require a note but no test results..
If the doctor is willing to write the note based on the home test, she will get the exemption. (Nevermind I might be wrong... see below)

Last edited:
Yes, thry require a note but no test results..
If the doctor is willing to write the note based on the home test, she will get the exemption.

This is incorrect, at least according to Safe Passage. You need a POSITIVE PCR test and a note from your dr. that you are now recovered in order to claim 90 day recovered option. I actually emailed Safe Passage to get it from the horse's mouth and they emailed me back.

Check post #20 in this thread....it has the response from Safe Passage and it states you do need a positive PCR test result and a note. Post #8 in the thread also says the test has to be from a lab or clinic.

90 day recovery status? | The DIS Disney Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

MJ

Last edited:
Ok I’m confused lol so if you are having Covid symptoms and you want to get tested you HAVE to take a PCR test and NO other form of test just to confirm Covid. Then you should take ANOTHER PCR test a couple weeks before you cruise in case you need a 90 exemption? Why won’t they accept ANY other kind of test to verify initial Covid positivity? What if the person is so sick they can’t go somewhere to get a PCR test?

Ok I’m confused lol so if you are having Covid symptoms and you want to get tested you HAVE to take a PCR test and NO other form of test just to confirm Covid. Then you should take ANOTHER PCR test a couple weeks before you cruise in case you need a 90 exemption? Why won’t they accept ANY other kind of test to verify initial Covid positivity? What if the person is so sick they can’t go somewhere to get a PCR test?
Some folks are simply testing closer to embarkation to see if they still pop a positive on the PCR test after recovery. It isn't required. SafePassage will accept the original PCR test from when your DD had symptoms -- up to 90 days prior to embarkation. If your DD didn't take a PCR test at that time, she would need one now if you want to avoid the embarkation test due to prior infection. Safe Passage requires a PCR test result along with the recovered letter from the doctor.

Some folks are simply testing closer to embarkation to see if they still pop a positive on the PCR test after recovery. It isn't required. SafePassage will accept the original PCR test from when your DD had symptoms -- up to 90 days prior to embarkation. If your DD didn't take a PCR test at that time, she would need one now if you want to avoid the embarkation test due to prior infection. Safe Passage requires a PCR test result along with the recovered letter from the doctor.

ok so just one positive PCR test and a note from doctor?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter