• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Covid And The Rest of Us

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not the only non-US DIS'er that marvels at some of the threads here where it is apparent that much of America has been left free to decide for itself what measures will or will not be taken. The "After You've Been Vaccinated" thread is particularly astonishing. Here (and in most other countries) it doesn't matter what you feel safe or comfortable doing - the restrictions decide what you will actually do, vaccinated or not.

I certainly agree with you and @lisaviolet about the proposed crack-down on outside activities. Outdoor meetings of groups of 6 or less are the only kind that have been allowed here for the past 6 months and the problem with that is the impracticality of it during harsh Canadian winters. As of now, only Ontario has imposed a ban on that and frankly, they are currently in "throw anything at it and see what sticks" mode.
The vaccine passport that's coming will solve that. They have already been talking with other countries on how to implement it.

The vaccine passport that's coming will solve that. They have already been talking with other countries on how to implement it.
What are you talking about? Reference please. And I'm not sure how it will make a difference. Being vaccinated doesn't get you a table in a restaurant that's closed by law or get your kid's youth soccer league back up and going when the restrictions prohibit it. :confused3

I'm not the only non-US DIS'er that marvels at some of the threads here where it is apparent that much of America has been left free to decide for itself what measures will or will not be taken. The "After You've Been Vaccinated" thread is particularly astonishing. Here (and in most other countries) it doesn't matter what you feel safe or comfortable doing - the restrictions decide what you will actually do, vaccinated or not.

I know what you mean. In my neighborhood, none of the neighbors wear masks outside, but I do. I don’t mind when they are working in their yard, or walking the dog. I do mind when they see me take out the trash can and want to come over to talk and insist on being a couple feet away from me. If I back up, they step forward. One time of that, with it being two other households converging at once, and I started taking the trash out after dark. I don’t plan to change my behavior now that I have been vaccinated. I don’t want to be rude to neighbors, but I don’t want to get sick either. Sad thing is, if they had been masked and kept their distance, I would have been happy to have someone to talk to.

What are you talking about? Reference please. And I'm not sure how it will make a difference. Being vaccinated doesn't get you a table in a restaurant that's closed by law or get your kid's youth soccer league back up and going when the restrictions prohibit it. :confused3
The plan is a vaccine passport will be coming for travel and businesses will probably use it as well. Right now the vaccine doesn't end restrictions but once the majority are vaccinated restrictions will start dropping. That was always the end game.

The plan is a vaccine passport will be coming for travel and businesses will probably use it as well. Right now the vaccine doesn't end restrictions but once the majority are vaccinated restrictions will start dropping. That was always the end game.
Whose plan? Again, please provide a reference. Here in Alberta, the only thing that's ever been discussed in relation to local restrictions is the lowering of hospital and ICU numbers. Presumably the vaccine will result in that but until it does, any individual being vaccinated means nothing to his/her level of restriction.

Whose plan? Again, please provide a reference. Here in Alberta, the only thing that's ever been discussed in relation to local restrictions is the lowering of hospital and ICU numbers. Presumably the vaccine will result in that but until it does, any individual being vaccinated means nothing to his/her level of restriction.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/can...s-could-be-new-point-of-contention-at-canada/
That's an article I found to do with vaccine passport coming.

I know it's frustrating that once you're vaccinated it doesn't change anything right now. The hope is to end up like Israel where many are vaccinated and most restrictions are dropping now. They do have a vaccine passport and its required for concerts, hotels, gyms and theatres.

I thought that idea was thrown out due to some people not being able to take the vaccine for some reason.

They are so strict on us today is because of the hospitals , think N.Y they are starting to put up tents outside to handle over flow. Heck they are even putting COVID patients in Sick Kids if needed . That is scary. They are moving people out of Toronto because of no bed. So your family is far away sometimes. They even said today if we don’t get things under control they may have to triage patients who gets an ICU bed.

We have been on stay at home orders for a week and people really didn’t listen and gathered etc. so they took away the parks. If you live in the middle of Toronto there is a lot of apartments and live on top of each other so it is sad they can’t use the green spaces. But they are the hot spots. Lots of essential works too.

Last edited:

Say What? I have been working 6 or 7 weeks ( I’ve lost count, I’m exhausted) in the afternoons after my morning shift at the vaccination center. This is a constant question, I have never heard of it being ”the end game”. Countries can certainly choose to implement required vaccines. BusinesseS?. Can you imagine the legal ramifications with this. You can’t fire someone who can not possibly get one.

On another note, I’m feeling for all of Ontario, as our neighbours, we are practically in the same situation, although we can go outside I think? At least until our curfew of 8pm, which we have had since Jan 6. 🥴 I just can’t imagine the policing of our borders.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/can...s-could-be-new-point-of-contention-at-canada/
That's an article I found to do with vaccine passport coming.

I know it's frustrating that once you're vaccinated it doesn't change anything right now. The hope is to end up like Israel where many are vaccinated and most restrictions are dropping now. They do have a vaccine passport and its required for concerts, hotels, gyms and theatres.
Sorry I can't read it without registering but thanks anyway for posting it. Honestly though, commentators and pundits can speculate on anything they want - I have not heard a peep from actual government representatives about Covid passports and I do pay quite close attention to these things.

Say What? I have been working 6 or 7 weeks ( I’ve lost count, I’m exhausted) in the afternoons after my morning shift at the vaccination center. This is a constant question, I have never heard of it being ”the end game”. Countries can certainly choose to implement required vaccines. BusinesseS?. Can you imagine the legal ramifications with this. You can’t fire someone who can not possibly get one.

On another note, I’m feeling for all of Ontario, as our neighbours, we are practically in the same situation, although we can go outside I think? At least until our curfew of 8pm, which we have had since Jan 6. 🥴 I just can’t imagine the policing of our borders.
We didn’t do the curfew because we didn’t want riots like we were seeing next door. The outside thing really was a finally straw for people not listening to the stay home orders put in place last week. You would never know we were under one, people are just over it I think.

We didn’t do the curfew because we didn’t want riots like we were seeing next door. The outside thing really was a finally straw for people not listening to the stay home orders put in place last week. You would never know we were under one, people are just over it I think.

Yes, I read that, I think it was wise. The rioting downtown was disgraceful. ☹
it’s a shame it wasn’t peacefully done, because I agreed with the point.

To be honest, it’s the same here.

I thought that idea was thrown out due to some people not being able to take the vaccine for some reason.

They are so strict on us today is because of the hospitals , think N.Y they are starting to put up tents outside to handle over flow. Heck they are even putting COVID patients in Sick Kids if needed . That is scary. They are moving people out of Toronto because of no bed. So your family is far away sometimes. They even said today if we don’t get things under control they may have to triage patients who gets an ICU bed.

We have been on stay at home orders for a week and people really didn’t listen and gathered etc. so they took away the parks. If you live in the middle of Toronto there is a lot of apartments and live on top of each other so it is sad they can’t use the green spaces. But they are the hot spots. Lots of essential works too.
:sad1: It is very troubling. And ironic in a way. I heard on talk radio today (although admittedly I haven't personally checked the math on this) that both BC and Alberta have more cases per capita than Ontario but due to our smaller populations, the sheer numbers are not close to exhausting our health resources. That said, we do not have much to spare. Alberta has declined to compel AHS employees to deploy to Ontario, as has been requested by Doug Ford. One thing I wonder about that though; we've heard since the beginning about how many thousands of Ontario residents are employed as medical professionals in the States - they even have their own special category for crossing the border every day. Why doesn't the Province of Ontario try to recruit some of them? :confused:
https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/alberta-says-no-to-ontario-request-for-health-care-workers-1.5390489

I know what you mean. In my neighborhood, none of the neighbors wear masks outside, but I do. I don’t mind when they are working in their yard, or walking the dog. I do mind when they see me take out the trash can and want to come over to talk and insist on being a couple feet away from me. If I back up, they step forward. One time of that, with it being two other households converging at once, and I started taking the trash out after dark. I don’t plan to change my behavior now that I have been vaccinated. I don’t want to be rude to neighbors, but I don’t want to get sick either. Sad thing is, if they had been masked and kept their distance, I would have been happy to have someone to talk to.

Are you truly that fearful of the virus? It’s a pretty minimal illness for the majority of people and hard to spread outdoors in fresh air and sunlight.

Are you truly that fearful of the virus? It’s a pretty minimal illness for the majority of people and hard to spread outdoors in fresh air and sunlight.
I have had two relatives die from Covid, so I am a little more conservative than most when it comes to prevention. I would not have an issue with the neighbors if they would mask or social distance, but they aren’t doing either. I also do not know if any of them have been vaccinated. I agree it is more difficult to catch Covid outdoors, but it is not impossible, at least, not yet.

Here in BC hospitalizations are rising as are cases but we don't seem to be getting more restrictions. We're being told get outside, it's good for you, just stick to your family bubble. Oh but it's ok to have a gathering of up to 10 people. But maybe you shouldn't.....talk about mixed messages :rolleyes: The weather has been absolutely gorgeous this week so you bet your sweet beeeehind I've been getting outside! It will soon be raining here again in Vancouver so I'm going to enjoy all the Vitamin D I can!

As for vaccines, they ARE vaccinating in hotspots here. Whistler is a good example of that. Teachers in Surrey and now, Coastal Health will be getting vaccinated (Surrey is done). Police and fire in Surrey and White Rock are being prioritized. So they are trying to do hot spot vaccinations while running the age cohorts simultaneously. Oh and the 55-65 group can walk into a pharmacy to get the AZ vaccine. Talk about being all over the map. DH and I are all registered, just waiting for the call/email to book our appointment, hopefully before the end of May.

Here in BC hospitalizations are rising as are cases but we don't seem to be getting more restrictions. We're being told get outside, it's good for you, just stick to your family bubble. Oh but it's ok to have a gathering of up to 10 people. But maybe you shouldn't.....talk about mixed messages :rolleyes: The weather has been absolutely gorgeous this week so you bet your sweet beeeehind I've been getting outside! It will soon be raining here again in Vancouver so I'm going to enjoy all the Vitamin D I can!

As for vaccines, they ARE vaccinating in hotspots here. Whistler is a good example of that. Teachers in Surrey and now, Coastal Health will be getting vaccinated (Surrey is done). Police and fire in Surrey and White Rock are being prioritized. So they are trying to do hot spot vaccinations while running the age cohorts simultaneously. Oh and the 55-65 group can walk into a pharmacy to get the AZ vaccine. Talk about being all over the map. DH and I are all registered, just waiting for the call/email to book our appointment, hopefully before the end of May.
Do you know how the up-take of the AZ vaccine is going? Here, not so good. The pharmacists and mass vaccination centres are basically twiddling their thumbs and wishing for people to show up. :(

Update from Ireland on my moms vaccination registration.

She got a text notification this morning that she has an appointments for her first dose on Wednesday April 21 at our local large vaccination centre. She has to bring photo ID and her Social Society Card. She will be getting the AZ vaccine.

The Irish media are reporting that 50,000 people aged 69 and 68 have registered using the website. Today registration opens for people aged 67.

Apparently the vaccination phone line is super busy (like a 3 hour wait). At times like these I do find some of the ways other counties do this so much better. We do have a website for appointments, but it's only for people who are eligible for Pfizer vaccine due to their age, and those people probably prefer to call.

Do you know how the up-take of the AZ vaccine is going? Here, not so good. The pharmacists and mass vaccination centres are basically twiddling their thumbs and wishing for people to show up. :(

I know you're not asking me, but we have the same issues here in the Netherlands with AZ. Here mainly physicians give AZ, and a lot of people don't show up. A physician in my hometown send out a tweet at the end of the day how they had a load of AZ left and that people aged 60+ could come and get a shot and he managed to vaccinate away his supply :D

I know you're not asking me, but we have the same issues here in the Netherlands with AZ. Here mainly physicians give AZ, and a lot of people don't show up. A physician in my hometown send out a tweet at the end of the day how they had a load of AZ left and that people aged 60+ could come and get a shot and he managed to vaccinate away his supply :D
Is that any age over 60? In this province it is not being administered to anyone over the age of 64 but all those people are currently eligible for Pfizer or Moderna. On that front, many appointments are available but alas the supply is not so a lot of them are being deferred.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter