Covid And The Rest of Us

Status
Not open for further replies.
BC issues orders restricting people’s abilities to leave their health authorities; BC Ferries will no longer permit recreational vehicles to travel to and from the islands

Premier Horgan says the province is restricting travel to health regions, effective this Friday. Residents will no longer be permitted to travel beyond health regions for non-essential reasons.
Random stops of individuals will take place with the new restrictions to assess travel reasons. Fines will be levied to those breaking new rules.
Tourism organizers are being asked to restrict bookings and transport/travel plans. BC Ferries will no longer permit recreational vehicles and campers to board vessels headed to or from Vancouver Island and the islands, as of this Friday.
The province will also install signage at borders advising individuals from out-of-province of the new restrictions.
The current phase of restrictions are planned to remain through at least May Long Weekend.
Those measures are quite startling. It sounds like it will take a great deal of manpower for enforcement.

Update From Ireland Vaccination Procedure

My mom got her first dose this morning at one of the big vaccination centres in a hotel convention centre. She arrived about 5 minutes before her appointment time and then had to join a queue. There were about 3 queueing pens and at the end of each one, there were stewards checking her name and vaccination time. At the end of the 3rd pen, she was directed to a registration desk where her ID was checked on a computer and she was asked about any previous reactions to a vaccine. She was then told to go over to the vaccinator. The vaccinator again checked her ID and asked about her current medications, which were logged into the computer. The vaccinator was surprised that she had brought her most recent prescription and that she was wearing a top with loose sleeves which could be rolled up easily.

After the injection, the vaccinator filled out the card and told her to expect the second appointment within 12 weeks. This is very interesting, as the current information is that second doses are at 3 weeks. The Irish Government are in talks to extend the time, but at the exact same time as my mom was in the vaccination centre, the Deputy Prime Minister gave a press conference and said the decision about extending the time will be announced next week. My mom being told 12 weeks instead of 3 weeks kinda suggests to me that unofficially they have made the decision to extend the time.

After the vaccinator gave my mom the card, and the information leaflet, she was directed to the waiting area.

I just want to update that there was enough uproar to back down on some of our new restrictions.

One of the changes is that playgrounds are no longer under siege!

------------

And that regions are pushing back, by not waiting on our province to do it, on warehouses/companies that keep open with high Covid positivity. Finally. With a certain number of positive cases, they must close for ten days.

And there is even more pressure for paid sick leave.

And our premier has been in direct contact with a colleague that has tested positive for Covid.

Hope he continues to test negative, during his quarantine. I may joke about him, but that would be worrisome given his weight. Hope all goes well for both of them and all those exposed.

Last edited:
I just want to update that there was enough uproar to back down on some of our new restrictions.

One of the changes is that playgrounds are no longer under siege!

------------

And that regions are pushing back, by not waiting on our province to do it, on warehouses/companies that keep open with high Covid positivity. Finally. With a certain number of positive cases, they must close for ten days.

And there is even more pressure for paid sick leave.
I wish there was as much effort for vaccinating people. I'm not talking about the supply issue. It's concerning that many 50+ are not filling appointments for AstraZeneca. For those 40+ it's hard to get an appointment now that they are available.

After the injection, the vaccinator filled out the card and told her to expect the second appointment within 12 weeks. This is very interesting, as the current information is that second doses are at 3 weeks. The Irish Government are in talks to extend the time, but at the exact same time as my mom was in the vaccination centre, the Deputy Prime Minister gave a press conference and said the decision about extending the time will be announced next week. My mom being told 12 weeks instead of 3 weeks kinda suggests to me that unofficially they have made the decision to extend the time.

Interesting.

We are just under four months here. Here's hoping it all works out.

I wish there was as much effort for vaccinating people. I'm not talking about the supply issue. It's concerning that many 50+ are not filling appointments for AstraZeneca. For those 40+ it's hard to get an appointment now that they are available.

I would have taken the AstraZeneca, no issue, if that what was offered to me (I got Pfizer). But I have a few people around me that will avoid it like the plague. Figure out how to get Moderna or Pfizer, if they can. And another that uses the AstraZeneca issues as their reasoning to not get any of the vaccines.

I don't judge anyone who is on the fence or a straight nope, but I do not hesitate to correct erroneous information or give counter arguments to their thought process.

One person has told me that I am the only person that he can discuss it all with, as he never feels judged. That surprised me, as I can be rather mouthy.

-------

Also, I truly believe we will start to go at record speed soon. I have always thought that. And become more organized. Seniors, unfortunately, had outrageous wait times. I was through in mere minutes, it was so well run by the time I got mine.

And hopefully soon they will get those hotspot pop-ups online to help that situation.

But then again my sister was shut out of her online booking pop-up hotspot in minutes this morning. Her region has gone rogue, has always been separate from the provincial site.

Also, some people do not know all their options. I could have got a shot at three hospitals with their own programs, two booking options. And through the Ontario site, a third booking option - all at the same time.

So all options need to be clearly promoted. They are failing in that area.

Last edited:

I think that a lot of the 55+ didn't want the AZ vaccine for whatever reason and were hoping for something else. I was lucky to get an appointment when the 40+ opened up. But while waiting to get it and then the 15 minutes after, there were a lot of people coming around to sign up. It seems a lot of people in that age range are eager to get vaccinated which is actually really great to me. I do hope everyone can get it sooner than later. The more the better. Ironic to me that my 74 year old parents have an appointment for next week (for Pfizer or Moderna I guess) because they didn't want to go to the pharmacy for whatever reason. I think it had to do with the parking lot and my mom has more limited mobility. Any way! I am happy they got appointments.

I have no follow up appointment but a note that they will contact me, expecting the 16 week wait, which puts it in August? So I'm ok with that too. I am sure by then it will be easier to get, at least I hope so!

I'm in BC, 40+ opened up and I'm on 7 or 8 waitlists so far :rolleyes: :headache: I also follow this Vaccine Hunters group that lets you know if appts are available at various pharmacies but you gotta act quick. I was out this morning and just checked, some appts opened up at a Walmart about 20-25 minutes from my house so I went online and BOOM, all appts gone. Sigh. And the Walmart that is less than 10 minutes from my house isn't doing the shots.

In the Netherlands we are still doing test events. My brother is currently at his second (he did go to the ballet a week ago, and now to a stand up comedian)
But two events got cancelled.
The first one was for King's Day on the 27th (our national day, King's birthday, big feast). It was planned as a 10.000 people dance/festival event. People had to get a negative test in advance etc. 1 million people signed up to attend, however, there was also a petition against it. Our figures are not that great, and the event was planned next to a hospital...almost 370K people signed the petition. Official story, it was about security with anti-Covid protestors (we have a few, but nowhere near the numbers to be concerned).

The second was at our national theme park Efteling. The backlash started when the event was announced that everyone had to get tested, including babies! That already didn't go down well. This was later changed to 5 years and older. Second, the park announced that a very limited amount of rides would be open. Maybe one or two big rides, but mainly smaller rides. For testing, there would be no measures in the park, except for queuing. There they still had to keep distance. It also came with testing before and after the visit, downloading three apps etc.
The official story, only 4.000 out of 8.000 spots were taken, so not good enough for a decent test. However, they scared off people with all the steps they had to take, and there was some hate by protestors.

At the moment there are tests at zoos, and other smaller themeparks. All come with testing before upon arrival. The backlash from protestors is that it turns us into a testing society, it's not about actual testing, it's about government control, etc. I haven't heard yet that it's Bill Gates injecting microchips into your blood when you get vaccinated, but I'm sure these protestors are not far off ;-)

I think that a lot of the 55+ didn't want the AZ vaccine for whatever reason and were hoping for something else. I was lucky to get an appointment when the 40+ opened up. But while waiting to get it and then the 15 minutes after, there were a lot of people coming around to sign up. It seems a lot of people in that age range are eager to get vaccinated which is actually really great to me. I do hope everyone can get it sooner than later. The more the better. Ironic to me that my 74 year old parents have an appointment for next week (for Pfizer or Moderna I guess) because they didn't want to go to the pharmacy for whatever reason. I think it had to do with the parking lot and my mom has more limited mobility. Any way! I am happy they got appointments.

I have no follow up appointment but a note that they will contact me, expecting the 16 week wait, which puts it in August? So I'm ok with that too. I am sure by then it will be easier to get, at least I hope so!
I had Astra Zeneca yesterday, my return date is Aug 5th.

Yes the 40+ really came out when they changed. I was on fence I’m 58 was happy I made an appointment last week. I heard there are people, students I think that go on the internet to find appointments for people. It’s was all the blood clot talk and places stopping using this one that made me wait. But better have this one than none at all.

Mind you my husband and I had chills and headaches last night. I’m fine to my husband got his fever back this afternoon.

I'm in BC, 40+ opened up and I'm on 7 or 8 waitlists so far :rolleyes: :headache: I also follow this Vaccine Hunters group that lets you know if appts are available at various pharmacies but you gotta act quick. I was out this morning and just checked, some appts opened up at a Walmart about 20-25 minutes from my house so I went online and BOOM, all appts gone. Sigh. And the Walmart that is less than 10 minutes from my house isn't doing the shots.

Hope your luck comes soon! :thumbsup2pixiedust:

I felt like I was in Las Vegas a couple of weeks ago with it all, trying to nab one. I was lucky enough to get one at a hospital site and then an earlier date on the Ontario site.

Cancelling and changing was a breeze. So some things are smooth.

...there were a lot of people coming around to sign up. It seems a lot of people in that age range are eager to get vaccinated which is actually really great to me.

Yay for you. Wonderful you got an appointment.

Isn't it great? When they show those pop-ups they are filled with younger people in line.

It makes me happy to see.

I know a lot in the over seventy age group - they didn't flinch to get it. Over forty opened up somehwhat and all hell broke loose! So wonderful to see.

I don't want to make assumptions but I think I rest in the age group that has some splainin' to do! :drinking1;)

Hope your luck comes soon! :thumbsup2pixiedust:

I felt like I was in Las Vegas a couple of weeks ago with it all, trying to nab one. I was lucky enough to get one at a hospital site and then an earlier date on the Ontario site.

Cancelling and changing was a breeze. So some things are smooth.
My husband and I now both have appointments for May 8th!! I'm going to keep us on the waitlists though in case something closer to home/sooner comes up. But yay!

In the Netherlands we are still doing test events. My brother is currently at his second (he did go to the ballet a week ago, and now to a stand up comedian)

It is so interesting to hear about, Karin.

-++++++±++

The backlash and thought process behind it, is fascinating to me as well.

I am not a suspicious person by nature but I remember when The Handmaid's Tale first came out. And a friend questioned me why the heck I would watch it ie. It is so disturbing. I said. "Really I find it fascinating because this is when things happen, when we are not paying attention." I never thought it all was far from reality. And then some reality actually happened. Eek.

I actually loved the scenes where people were just living their lives, from a past perspective and you can see subtle signs. And then suddenly it is too late.

i am suddenly sounding like I am truly a suspicious person! :drinking1:laughing:

Last edited:
Here in Quebec we are vaccinating 45 and older with AstraZeneca, walk-in or with appointment. At certain points today there was not a soul 🤷‍♀️. It is still 60 plus appointment only with Pfizer, along with certain medical conditions. I believe, ( could be mistaken, as they change so often) they are opening up tomorrow for more medical conditions. I am off tomorrow 😍, and going to Tremblant for a long weekend of relaxation and hot tubbing! And they have a 930 curfew lol.

We all had Pfizer in this household. My father died of a pulmonary embolism, he had many of them in his lifetime, my sister has had 3 or 4, we carry the factor V Leiden gene.

I had the first dose of Pfizer yesterday, woohoo! My return date is August 10th. No side effects at all, just a bruise at the injection site which is fine. My husband is still waiting and does not want the AZ vaccination. I don’t agree with that but really trying to not push him. They are supposed to have pop up clinics in our area since it’s a hot zone, but Peel hasn’t made that happen yet. I’m hoping by the end of next week they will have things going for those.

And Lisaviolet, people can be very harsh if you show hesitancy towards the AZ one. Your friend is right about that! I have kept my mouth/fingers quiet about my husbands hesitancy because man, people can get worked up! He isn’t refusing vaccination period, just not AZ.

Our Dutch version of Dr. Fauci has announced that we entered a new phase. Vaccinations work, hardly any of the elderly/vulnerable get ill anymore. It's mainly the younger groups. Now the virus gets less chance because of vaccination/immunization instead of measures.

They are also discussing the ban on flights from South America etc. if we enforce the quarantine of people from these countries.
They are also thinking of adding India to the list as apparently things are not going great there.

Our Dutch version of Dr. Fauci has announced that we entered a new phase. Vaccinations work, hardly any of the elderly/vulnerable get ill anymore. It's mainly the younger groups. Now the virus gets less chance because of vaccination/immunization instead of measures.

They are also discussing the ban on flights from South America etc. if we enforce the quarantine of people from these countries.
They are also thinking of adding India to the list as apparently things are not going great there.

That's putting it mildly. Over a million new cases last week (admittedly, they have a massive population, but still).

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter