Costco Cash Card Percentage for Transfer?

Shanti

Momketeer
Okay, so I just called Costco to ask about transferring my new cruise reservation to them, and they only spoke of 2 amounts I could potentially receive: 2% if I'm an executive member (I'm not), and 3% of what I paid with a special Costco credit card (my cruise is close to being paid off, and none of that amount was paid with a Costco credit card). The agent left it at that & never mentioned getting 8.5% of our cruise cost on a cash card, which I've heard so much about on these boards.

I don't want to transfer my booking without a good financial reason. Was this agent just uninformed or a poor communicator? Is the 8.5% cash card in addition to the 2% and 3% listed above?

Last edited:
Yes. I am getting $680 on $9000. I think it’s a little under 8% (they don’t include taxes in the calculation). Mine was transferred from an on board booking. I can also get an additional 2% off if I’m an executive member when we cruise. Not getting the 3% because I use gift cards to pay. I’d call back.

Were you specific about which cruise and which line it was? They give different deals for different lines. For DCL bookings, they give cashback, but if you didn't say that, you might not have gotten the full answer. Also, you could have had an inexperienced person. Call again.

Yes, they knew it was Disney. It sounded like they were reading from a script. I'll call back.

Are you within so many days of booking? I thought you had to transfer it within a limited time period after booking.

Look at Costco travel.com. Pick the cruise you are interested in, the stateroom type and see what reward is offered. That should give you an idea.

We booked our May, 2018 cruise onboard in October. I then transferred it to costco. We get all the onboard booking perks and all the perks of booking with costco, including the costco gift card.

Last edited:

Look at Costco travel.com. Pick the cruise you are interested in, the stateroom type and see what reward is offered. That should give you an idea.

We booked our May, 2018 cruise onboard in October. I then transferred it to costco. We get all the onboard booking perks and all the perks of booking with costco, including the costco gift card.
I am going to book a cruise for next year for the first time. Can you tell me more about transferring a reservation to Costco? I was planning on booking through costco, but if i can get double perks I'd love to hear how. Thanks!

Something I did not know until trying to transfer a booking to Costco recently is that in addition to being within 30 days, your cruise cannot be completely paid off. Since we booked so late we had to pay in full at time of booking and was told we were not eligible for the cash card.

I had never done it before so was not familiar with all the details.

I am going to book a cruise for next year for the first time. Can you tell me more about transferring a reservation to Costco? I was planning on booking through costco, but if i can get double perks I'd love to hear how. Thanks!

Since you haven't booked yet, you can just book directly with Costco. There's no double perks from transferring. The onboard perks PP mentioned (which I assume is what prompted your question), is from booking a cruise or placeholder while they were on a cruise. They must not have had Costco as their TA when they did that, which was why the transfer was needed to get the Costco benefits (in addition to the onboard booking benefits).

To get all the extra perks of transferring to costco, you have to book your cruise initially while onboard a Disney cruise. We booked our upcoming May cruise while onboard the fantasy in October. By booking onboard, we got 10% off the cruise fare and a $200 onboard credit for each stateroom. We told the cm that we were transferring the booking to costco.

When we returned home, I called costco and transferred the booking. By doing so, we get almost $800 in Costco gift cards, 2% back from costco for being an executive member and 3% back from paying with our costco citi card. That all adds up to about an extra $500 back.

Pretty substantial discounts when you add them all up.

Okay, so I just called Costco to ask about transferring my new cruise reservation to them, and they only spoke of 2 amounts I could potentially receive: 2% if I'm an executive member (I'm not), and 3% of what I paid with a special Costco credit card (my cruise is close to being paid off, and none of that amount was paid with a Costco credit card). The agent left it at that & never mentioned getting 8.5% of our cruise cost on a cash card, which I've heard so much about on these boards.

I don't want to transfer my booking without a good financial reason. Was this agent just uninformed or a poor communicator? Is the 8.5% cash card in addition to the 2% and 3% listed above?

Some of the Costco agents are more knowledgeable than others. The cash card is in addition to the possible 2% and 3%, and I have received it after transferring an onboard booking within 30 days.

To get all the extra perks of transferring to costco, you have to book your cruise initially while onboard a Disney cruise. We booked our upcoming May cruise while onboard the fantasy in October. By booking onboard, we got 10% off the cruise fare and a $200 onboard credit for each stateroom. We told the cm that we were transferring the booking to costco.

When we returned home, I called costco and transferred the booking. By doing so, we get almost $800 in Costco gift cards, 2% back from costco for being an executive member and 3% back from paying with our costco citi card. That all adds up to about an extra $500 back.

Pretty substantial discounts when you add them all up.
Oh wow. Thank you for the information. I appreciate it.

Yes. I am getting $680 on $9000. I think it’s a little under 8% (they don’t include taxes in the calculation). Mine was transferred from an on board booking. I can also get an additional 2% off if I’m an executive member when we cruise. Not getting the 3% because I use gift cards to pay. I’d call back.

Did you purchase your cruise while onboard? If so did you use Disney gift cards to do so?

Did you purchase your cruise while onboard? If so did you use Disney gift cards to do so?
Yes. I booked a placeholder initially because Alaska wasn’t out until about six months after we cruised. I used my Disney vacation account (which sadly no longer exists) to put down the deposit. I’ve also used my credit card and replaced the deposit later with gift cards.

Just reporting back that the transfer went through and it was verified in the paperwork that I will be getting the 8% cash card after the cruise. Thanks, everyone! Given that I can combine that with my onboard booking benefits, that is an excellent deal. I'm always going to transfer our cruises to Costco from now on, and I will probably upgrade to an executive membership and get their credit card before booking my next cruise, so that I can save an additional 5% more. I don't shop at Costco much, but I will use the cash card for all of my gasoline purchases. So basically, I'll be getting free gas all year as a reward for booking Disney cruises. Win win!

I book on opening day with DCL (I want to get a specific room) and transfer to Costco. We only have sailed in concierge, so the cash card worth ~8.5% really adds up! Ive never had them decrease it because I transferred to them. I email the form myself to DCL. I upgraded to the executive membership, they said that I will get the 2% even though I upgraded after I booked the cruise because it has not sailed yet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter