Costa Rica Trip Report

Momof3greatkids

Mouseketeer
My husband and I, along with our children, just returned from Costa Rica. Here are our overall observations: 1.) Disney does an excellent job with this tour. Every thing is first class and the service is mostly excellent. 2.) Our airline flight was diverted to Liberia, Costa Rica due to fog in San Jose. The guides told us that this has happened before, so you might want to consider arriving at least a day early. Fortunately, we were supposed to arrive a day ahead of time, and did not miss the start of the trip. 3.) Costa Rica is covered with 80% mountains, and the roads are curvy and rough. There is a lot of time spent on the bus, during the first few days. We had several people get bus sick, so you might want to bring Dramamine if this bothers you. The airline flight to Manuel Antonio was also bumpy and caused some to have motion sickness. There are Disney Movies shown on the bus to help pass the time, along with commentary about C/R by the guides. One guide is always a naturalist. 4.) There where also several people who got upset stomachs, due to exposure to germs our American stomachs aren’t used to, so you might want to come prepared for this also. The food and drink is all considered safe. 5.) Costa Rica is a very humid country, as you would expect. So, be prepared for some hot and humid times. C/R’s version of a/c varied from place to place. Our room at Arenal was very cool, but at Manuel it never got much below 76/78 degrees. All dining, except in San Jose is outside. 6.) This adventure has a very busy and exhausting itinerary. You are constantly on the go, and there is a lot of living out of your suitcase. 7.) Ziplining was very fast, long, and high. It was a great experience but not for the faint of heart. The children are all given a guide to go with them. The children must be 8, and no exceptions are given to this rule. Whitewater rafting was a big hit with everyone. The rapids only go up to Class 2, so the children can go along. The guides point out wildlife along the way, including poison dart frogs. The Pineapple plantation was more fun than it sounded, and the fruit and juice there are the best we have ever had. La Paz was an excellent experience. The waterfalls are amazing, and they also have a butterfly house, aviary, monkeys, snakes, and frogs. The trails are curvy and steep on the way to the waterfalls. They have naturalists there that do excellent jobs explaining all about what you are seeing. We had one lady who had a parakeet steal an earring right out of her ear in the aviary. They will warn you about this, and obviously aren’t kidding. 8.) The food overall was very good. The only exception was at Hildago Hot Springs. The steak had so much grizzle you could not cut it. There are always kid friendly offerings. The food at the Intercontinental in San Jose was very expensive, as in $100.00 for lunch, so you might want to consider eating at the mall across the street. 9.) The hotels where all beautiful, and the views at Arenal and Manuel Antonio, where to die for. The service was good, with the exception of Hotel Arenas del Mar. The front desk did not speak English well at all, some of the rooms never did get their a/c to work, and the restaurant took 2 ½ hours to serve dinner. I think they try very hard, but the hotel is new and the language barrier seems to cause a problem. The rooms at Arenal and Manuel both had Jacuzzi’s. The deck at Manuel, which is where the Jacuzzi is located, was the biggest and best we have ever seen. 10.) The only bad experience we had was on the walk through the national forest in Manuel Antonio. It was miserably hot and humid, with no breeze at all. You had to carry your personal belongings with you, including a big beach towel, so you could stop at the beach for an hour swim during the hike. After the swim, you had to hike another 20 minutes to get out of the park. You have to cross a stream and it is rocky. So you need to be careful. The other thing, I think they could improve on, is the fact that you must stay at the beach about 4 hours the day you arrive in Manuel Antonio. The beach is great, but some people where tired, and didn’t want to stay that long, but you had no option. 11.) We loved seeing all the animals, monkeys, sloths, toucans, coatis, bats, lizards, and even a boa constrictor hanging up in the tree above the beach. They have a telescope so you can see them up close and personal. 12.) We all had a good time, and would highly recommend this adventure to you. Please let us know if you have any questions. It is hard to cover everything. Happy Travels!!

I am researching the Costa Rica trip as my DD 20 would like to visit the country.

I think she is more interested in the local flavor than eco. Was there any excursions involving the local villages/people or was this mostly a flora & fauna type of trip? Do you feel you came a way knowing Costa Rica or just its landscape?

To try and answer your question, here are the things we did that let you learn about the country and its people. There is one afternoon at Arenal, that you have a local C/R tribe come, and help you paint gords (?spelling). While you are painting, they tell you about their life and customs. For example, they bury their dead in the floors of their houses. They also have a local dance troup and band play for you while you are eating a traditional C/R dinner at Arenal. They tell you all about their food and diet. The guides also have talks while you are riding on the bus. The topics included the history of C/R, its politics, and customs, health care sytems, tax system, school system, etc. They are a very eco friendly country and they emphasize that aspect. However, I think the guides are so well informed you can learn just about anything you want. The people are very warm and friendly. I hope this information helps.

Thanks for the report! We will be on the 7/22 trip. Thinking about packing - anything you took that you should have left behind? Or- something you didn't take that you wish you would have. Guess just wondering if the packing list they give covers it all.

SOunds like you had a wonderful time!!

This trip was a little hard to pack for. We wanted to pack light because we knew we would be living out of the suitcase. However, it is also hot and humid, and we wanted to have fresh clothes. I would make sure I had motion sickness and stomach medicine, just in case. Most people didn't need them, but you never know. And, there are no pharmacies readily available. You don't need anything dressy at all. The restaurants in the Intercontinental look formal, but they are not. You also don't need any beach towels, as they are always provided. All the hotels had blow dryers, shampoo, and conditioner. So, you can skip packing them, if you don't mind using what the hotel provides. I would make sure I had good walking shoes and water shoes for rafting and the hike in Manuel Antonio. A lot of our group also had the quick dry shorts and shirts on for comfort. A rain coat is a also needed. Disney does has poncho's at La Paz, but not at all locations. All hotels have laundry service, if you need it, and it was about the same price as on a cruise.

How is cell phone coverage in Costa Rica? I'll be on vacation and don't really want to call anybody, but I would like to let the family know if they will be able to contact me by cell in case of emergency.

The only place we had no coverage was in Manuel Antonio Area. We use AT&T. The final documents you get from Disney, wlll have an information sheet to give to your family with all the hotel phone numbers, and emergency numbers. The guides also have cell phones, and will give you a copy of them. Their cell phones seemed to work all over C/R.

Thanks for the info, Momof3.

Our airline flight was diverted to Liberia, Costa Rica due to fog in San Jose.

How did you get to San Jose? Did someone from Disney pick you up, or did you have to take care of it yourself? One of the reasons I'm taking an ABD trip is that I want someone to take care of everything for me. I'm desperately hoping nothing like this happens to us.

A BIG thank-yyou for the trip report. We're going on this tour the first week of August - so your report is very timely!

A few dumb questions:

- Did you need much spending money while you were there? We're thinking of taking a few US dollars and exchange them in C/R. Any thoughts?

- We're flying into San Jose a day early. Assuming we don't get diverted to Liberia ;) - we plan to just hang out at the hotel for a day. Any advice for killing time before the tour actually starts?

- Do you have any advice/insights on how to spend the free afternoon on Day 6? It sounds like some folks head into Quepos for shopping.

Thanks again! Sounds like you had a great time.

We were on Continental and they arranged hotels, breakfast, and transportation for us in LIberia. The same crew spent the night in Liberia, and flew us to San Jose in the am. The flight was only about 20 minutes. Disney has an 24/7 emergency number so you can contact them if there are problems, and they will help you get to your tour. I think that travel insurance would probably be needed to pay for the transportation to catch up to the tour, but Disney would help you arrange it.
We did not need much spending money at all. The small gift shops at the hotels can have charges put on the room. Whitewater rafting and zipling both try to sell you pictures, and La Paz has gift shops. However, they all took US currency. The only place you might need C/R money is in Quepos after the hike in Manuel Antonio. They take you to an ATM before your hike, and you walk back into town from the national forest. The bus will either take you straight back to the hotel, or give you a few hours to eat lunch and shop in Quepos. Most people stayed in Quepos until about 2:30, and then came back to the hotel to swim, pack, get a massage, or relax. The first day in San Jose we just hung out at the hotel. There are a few musuems in San Jose, including a gold museum. We didn't go, and they are supposed to be OK. You can also shop at the mall across the street, or see a movie at the mall. The movies are shown in English.

If you don't mind me asking, when were you at Arenas del Mar? My DH and I just returned from there last week (not with Disney) and our A/C never worked at all. We arrived on June 27 and they said it went out the night before. They also said it was out in the entire place, but no one else seemed put out by it. Our room also had very little air circulation from the ceiling fans, but no breeze at all from the windows. We actually had to check out early because it was so miserable. The rest of the trip was fantastic, however.

Yes, we where at Arenas del Mar. I do believe they have a/c problems. Two of our group never did get there a/c to work at all, and some only worked slightly. It was very hard to communicate with them what the problem is because of the language barrier. They sent some of our group fans to their rooms to try and help. But, they where still hot due to the heat and high humidity. I find it odd that the whole place would be out, and they can't fix it. The buildings all had individual units and are spread out. I wonder what was going on. I think Disney is aware there are some problems at this location, and may be able to express some concern to the management at some point. Sorry, you trip was so hot. I know that is frustrating, to say the least.

We had no problems communicating with the staff. They knew of the problem. We never even received fans though. They told us they couldn't get them because the stores were closed on the weekends. We were there Friday-Monday (june27-30). One of the managers also told us it would be at least 2 weeks before they got it working again. Fortunately, they refunded our last night's stay so we could return to San Jose early. As much as we enjoyed the hotel and the setting we couldn't stand the heat.

When did you check in/out? It seems like you would have been there before us and they told us the A/C had just broken the night before due to a storm. I didn't see any other storm damage and am really wondering if they were lying to us.

We where there June 21st - 23rd. The a/c was on in most people's rooms at that time. I think in our rooms, it was just undersized for the job it had to do. However, there where at least 2 families that had no a/c while we where there, and they could not get it fixed. I am glad you where able to communicate with them. They had alot of trouble understanding us at the front desk, and the maintence people spoke no English at all.

Very interesting. So it was broken about a week before we got there. :mad: First they acted surprised that it was broken. Then they said it would be on very soon. Then they said a few hours. It was finally the 2nd night they admitted it wouldn't be fixed anytime soon. Well bummer, I gave them a really good review on Trip Advisor despite the A/C problem.

Okay.... now I'm flirting with becoming a pest, but just one more question for anyone who's done the C/R trip: Did you happen to book more than 1 room for your family - e.g. a family of 4 booked as 2 doubles? If so, I'd be interested to know how successful you were with getting adjoining rooms at the hotels in C/R.

For my family - Mom, Dad, Daughter (15), and Son (12) - we booked as 2 doubles this time around (based on our ABD experience in Paris last Summer where we got adjoining rooms). The ABD folks assured us that all attempts would be made to give us adjoining rooms, but I'm still mildly anxious about it.

Thanks again...

We had rooms across the hall in San Jose. In both Arenal and Manuel Antonio, we had adjoining rooms. In Manuel Antonio, we had the same front door, and shared our living space. In Arneal, the rooms had a door between them we had unlocked. It worked out great.

Momof3greatkids.... Thanks again! I think I'm now less anxious about booking the 4 of us as 2 doubles.

Cheers...

I hope you have a great time on your trip. I had previously read your Knights and Lights report, and really enjoyed it. That is a trip we are thinking of taking in a year or two ourselves.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter