Coronavirus and DCL Megathread - Suspension of Departures for the fleet until early November. Booking only available from early December.

Well for passing in hallways, that’s not really different that passing others in a narrow grocery aisle or so on a city sidewalk. The goal is to try to avoid close contract for more than 30 seconds
Not sure where you got that information but the goal is to not be within six feet of someone. As for narrow grocery aisle's, our stores are now marked with arrows on the floor, you can only go one way down them.
We normally sit at the back of the theatre and I have never been to a performance that at least one parent doesn't leave with a child for what ever reason. I have a four year old grandchild and he will only tell you he has to go to the bathroom WHEN he has to go, he will not plan in advance. He would be the child needing to leave in the middle. I do like your idea though of if you leave you don't get to return. Not sure that would be enforceable though.

I cant recall, do they run the theater shows on in stateroom TVs? If not adding that option would take the sting out a little. Ditto for the in theater movies...allowing them to be viewed in the staterooms would be better than nothing.

Im not saying this totally makes up for seeing them in the theaters but for those that would be uncomfortable viewing them in the theaters this could be an option going forward.

I cant recall, do they run the theater shows on in stateroom TVs? If not adding that option would take the sting out a little. Ditto for the in theater movies...allowing them to be viewed in the staterooms would be better than nothing.

Im not saying this totally makes up for seeing them in the theaters but for those that would be uncomfortable viewing them in the theaters this could be an option going forward.
They play an older replay of the show in the room around 15 min after the current live show starts.

Not sure where you got that information but the goal is to not be within six feet of someone. As for narrow grocery aisle's, our stores are now marked with arrows on the floor, you can only go one way down them.
We normally sit at the back of the theatre and I have never been to a performance that at least one parent doesn't leave with a child for what ever reason. I have a four year old grandchild and he will only tell you he has to go to the bathroom WHEN he has to go, he will not plan in advance. He would be the child needing to leave in the middle. I do like your idea though of if you leave you don't get to return. Not sure that would be enforceable though.
Well six feet is kind of a joke anyway because the virus spreads much further distances, but setting aside that, when you get to checkout, how do you pay and still remain 6 feet away from the cashier? The day before I got sick, I was at a Sam's club stocking up and I was pretty surprised that I still had to physically hand my membership card to the cashier, they still had someone helping me unload my cart onto the conveyor belt thingie standing a foot away from me and reaching into the cart the same time, they weren't sanitizing the credit card keypad between customers, and I still had to give my receipt to the guy who checks it before you leave the store. So even if you "social distanced" in the aisles (which wasn't really possible they way they had it set up, although your store's idea of one way lanes is a good one), you still got exposed to three staff members at the end plus every customer that had touched the "okay" button on the credit card machine. Admittedly that was a while ago, since I've been sick for several weeks, and maybe they've gotten better over time, but at that time the guidelines weren't any different than they are today.

Where I got the 30 seconds is that the CDC is treating exposure time as a few minutes, which seemed high to me, so I revised it down to 30 seconds. Per the CDC website:

"Data are limited for definitions of close contact. Factors for consideration include the duration of exposure (e.g., longer exposure time likely increases exposure risk), clinical symptoms of the patient (e.g., coughing likely increases exposure risk) and whether the patient was wearing a cloth face covering or facemask (which helps block respiratory secretions from contaminating others and the environment), PPE used by personnel, and whether aerosol generating procedures were performed.

Data are insufficient to precisely define the duration of time that constitutes a prolonged exposure. However, until more is known about transmission risks, it is reasonable to consider an exposure greater than a few minutes as a prolonged exposure. Brief interactions are less likely to result in transmission; however, clinical symptoms of the patient and type of interaction (e.g., did the patient cough directly into the face of the HCP) remain important. Recommendations will be updated as more information becomes available."

Like I said before, the only way this would work is if EVERYONE had a negative test result prior to embarkation and the ONLY way that would work is if they had a plentiful supply of those Abbott Labs tests. Since those will be going to Hospitals/Nursing Homes/First Responder sites first, I think it will be awhile before they can get there. At least 2-3 months at the earliest I would think...

Well six feet is kind of a joke anyway because the virus spreads much further distances, but setting aside that, when you get to checkout, how do you pay and still remain 6 feet away from the cashier? The day before I got sick, I was at a Sam's club stocking up and I was pretty surprised that I still had to physically hand my membership card to the cashier, they still had someone helping me unload my cart onto the conveyor belt thingie standing a foot away from me and reaching into the cart the same time, they weren't sanitizing the credit card keypad between customers, and I still had to give my receipt to the guy who checks it before you leave the store. So even if you "social distanced" in the aisles (which wasn't really possible they way they had it set up, although your store's idea of one way lanes is a good one), you still got exposed to three staff members at the end plus every customer that had touched the "okay" button on the credit card machine. Admittedly that was a while ago, since I've been sick for several weeks, and maybe they've gotten better over time, but at that time the guidelines weren't any different than they are today.

Where I got the 30 seconds is that the CDC is treating exposure time as a few minutes, which seemed high to me, so I revised it down to 30 seconds. Per the CDC website:

"Data are limited for definitions of close contact. Factors for consideration include the duration of exposure (e.g., longer exposure time likely increases exposure risk), clinical symptoms of the patient (e.g., coughing likely increases exposure risk) and whether the patient was wearing a cloth face covering or facemask (which helps block respiratory secretions from contaminating others and the environment), PPE used by personnel, and whether aerosol generating procedures were performed.

Data are insufficient to precisely define the duration of time that constitutes a prolonged exposure. However, until more is known about transmission risks, it is reasonable to consider an exposure greater than a few minutes as a prolonged exposure. Brief interactions are less likely to result in transmission; however, clinical symptoms of the patient and type of interaction (e.g., did the patient cough directly into the face of the HCP) remain important. Recommendations will be updated as more information becomes available."
At the stores by me they have one-way aisles and stickers 6 feet apart that you have to stand on when you’re lined up to pay. They’ve installed plexiglass between the cashier and the customer. At my small grocery store you are 6 feet away from the cashier when you’re putting items in the belt, at the local pharmacy store where there’s no belt the installed plexiglass with a cut out at the bottom that you have to shove your items through. At both stores when you are paying, the cashier steps back. The machines are sanitized in between each person using them and the cashiers are no longer allowed to bag anything, you have to do it all yourself with plastic bags (can’t bring your own anymore). Both stores also have sanitizer and/or a hand washing station set up at the entrance to the store!

We go for walks every day in our neighborhood and we’ve never had difficulties keeping 6 feet apart from others that we pass! Usually one party will move off the sidewalk to the road while they’re passing.

So we’ve definitely gotten creative with ways to keep 6 feet apart from people!

It’s been interesting reading through the posts here.

I just don’t see how you can remain six feet apart. As much as we WANT to say we can, I don’t think in reality it would happen.

One of the reasons that people have been advised to stay in their homes is the human nature element. We say we are six feet away as we talk to one another, but over time probably start to move a bit closer. Not everyone, as some are very mindful. But looking at the protests going on across the US right now and the lack of social distancing, these are the very people who could be on your cruise.... if they don’t believe in it, they won’t do it. it’s a logistical nightmare.

I, for one, sure hope they can figure something out that would work, and work well but be logical and practical.

I don't see where it is saying the goal is to try to avoid close contact for more than 30 seconds. I see it says an exposure greater than a few minutes is considered a prolonged exposure. Big difference. I'm not reading this the way you are.
And of course brief interactions are less likely to result in transmission. Standing six feet away makes it less likely to result in transmission as well as opposed to standing two feet apart. Not going out will make it less likely to result in transmission as opposed to going to the grocery store. Lots and lots of things will make it less likely. Doesn't mean close contact for any period of time is a good thing.
I think we just see different on this issue and that's okay. We can agree to disagree.

Well for passing in hallways, that’s not really different that passing others in a narrow grocery aisle or so on a city sidewalk. The goal is to try to avoid close contract for more than 30 seconds

Its very different though. If you and I pass in the grocery store or pass on the city sidewalk it’s a one time transaction (and still not completely safe). If you and I are locked in the grocery store together for 7 days we’re going to have many more cases of moving by each other -increasing our risk if one of us is sick. That’s one big reason why cruise ships are such germ factors didn’t get someone to touch the germs you left on the elevator button? Dont worry you’ll be touching the pool deck door, soda machine, sitting in the theater, and in line for characters together over the next two days, you’ll get them one of those time. Multiple that by 2000 people.

Shanghai Disneyland is in the planning stages of reopening. For theatre seating, they are using every other row and leaving spaces between parties to allow for distancing. I would image the first cruises that start operations again would have to make modifications such as this.

Hopefully, the world will reach a point of herd immunity and hospitals will not be overrun with COVID19 patients. Then we can look forward opening up travel, ports, and eventually cruises.

We are booked on the Greek Cruise on the Magic scheduled June 13th from Rome. I can't believe that Disney canceled all the cruises up to June 13th, but not our cruise. If they canceled it now, I would consider the cruise credit for the same cruise next year, but there are only a few rooms (of the same type) open. If they wait and cancel this cruise in May and no rooms are available we won't be back next summer. Is anyone else booked on the Magic in Europe this summer? Their current plans would assume the boat would sail empty across the Atlantic to Europe and the very first cruise would be ours. That is crazy. I'd be surprised if they did an empty relocation cruise to Europe, but I guess they have to start sometime. I have been watching a few indicators. They are not currently selling any rooms for Europe this summer, until late July 25th. That is a strong indicator that they plan to cancel the cruises before July 25th. They also have an earnings call on May 5th. They will have to give investors some view into their plans for the next quarter (and beyond). The CDC also just extended the "no sail" order in the US until July 9th. Currently the Magic is in US waters, so it isn't clear if they would let it leave to Europe in June with >250 employees on board.
I am booked in August from Copenhagen - for my son's graduation trip with his girlfriend and my parents - all flights booked non-refundable, so I am just hoping with fingers crossed that the ship will sail. I am not sure what we will do otherwise - just travel by land? Put it off until the next year? For now I am just waiting and hoping. Our March cruise was cancelled the day before embarkation, so I applied all of the credits to the Europe summer cruise...

I am booked in August from Copenhagen - for my son's graduation trip with his girlfriend and my parents - all flights booked non-refundable, so I am just hoping with fingers crossed that the ship will sail. I am not sure what we will do otherwise - just travel by land? Put it off until the next year? For now I am just waiting and hoping. Our March cruise was cancelled the day before embarkation, so I applied all of the credits to the Europe summer cruise...

We’re in the exact same situation.

Just rebooked my May trip to Christmas, I really think there ‘tis about a 25% chance of it actually happening though, not telling the kids though bc they were CRUSHED when our May trip got cancelled. If it works out it will be a great Christmas surprise, and if not I’ll be the only one crushed.

Another example is quarantine. DCL has been quarantining people with stomach bugs for ages in their rooms. Happened to my husband on his first cruise, and my coworker and her family on their first cruise. In that case, DCL is basically taking away the ENTIRE value of our vacation--no swimming, no restaurants, no shows, no activities, no excursions--just sitting in your stateroom all day watching TV. Happens every cruise but you don't see total anarchy... people for the most part recognize the ship has authority on health and safety measures and they follow instructions.

My dad got noro the last time he sailed with Royal Caribbean, and was quarantined to his stateroom for 24 hours. They gave him a pro-rated future cruise credit equal to the value of the one day that he "missed". I'm surprised that DCL doesn't offer something similar.

@tidefan Emirates Airlines has begun testing passengers with a 10 minute test prior to boarding

Not all flights, though. What hit the news was actually a single flight between Dubai and Tunisia that involved all passengers on that service being tested. The testing only extends to flights to countries that require a Covid-19 test certificate, of which there are very few as most countries have adopted a mandatory quarantine period instead.

@ivanp91 My point was the rapid test could be a way in which cruises could look to begin sailing in the upcoming months and could ease the fears of some cruisers

Some stores seem to have a better handle on it than others.

At Target, there are lines in the checkout lanes to help visualize proper distancing. At the beginning of the lane there is tape where you are supposed to stand behind and load up your cart there. Once the checkout person is done ringing everything up they tell you and step way back and then I pay. In between each order they sanitized the keypad and conveyer belt.

At Whole Foods, they have tape lines throughout the store. All indoor carts were sanitized, outdoor ones were not. Their checkout lanes had plexiglass guards up. All employees did great at distancing and all wore masks.

I now keep the CC I'm going to use in a plastic bag. Once I get back to the car it's easier to just sanitize the one card than the whole wallet and everything else I keep in there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter