• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Coronavirus and DCL Megathread - Suspension of Departures for the fleet until early November. Booking only available from early December.

Hopefully this virus is worth it because the economic implications are going tho be huge and a lot of people are going to suffer.
what the what?

No one asked for a pandemic.
It's not a choice anyone made.

The reason for "cancelling everything" is because you need to flatten infection curves. Italy is suffering right now because of the rate of viral spread. When everyone gets sick at once, your systems fail. If you can space out the infection rate, it is easier to meet the needs and challenges. Social distancing is a proven limiter of infection rate, dating even so far back as the 1918 Flu.

Interesting that the coronavirus info/warning doesn't appear on the home page of DCL website now.

Princess cruises announced that they are suspending all cruises for the next two months. Viking is suspending all cruises through May 1.

I just read on the Points Guy that Viking is suspending ALL cruises until April 30th. They also have a very generous cancel/rebook policy. Do you think DCL and other cruise lines will follow, or is this because a lot of Viking’s market is in Europe?
Yes, a lot of river cruises in Europe plus a good number of ocean cruises given their small number of cruise ships. More significant might be the fact that their cruises attract an older group of travelers. Been there, done that myself and as 70+ folks, we were certainly part of the typical demographic on the two river cruises we’ve done.

people are dropping the cruises pretty regularly. I'm on the 4/4 Fantasy, and 2 weeks ago only 1 1BR concierge was available. Yesterday 11 total (4 1br and 7 family) today there are 16 total concierge rooms available.

I'm going to be honest. I never thought this virus was fake but I didn't see it making the impact it is having. Maybe I'm just not smart enough but I just don't see how cancelling everything is going to help much but I will be happy to be wrong. The problem is as someone said the economic implications are going to be huge and if it doesn't do much not worth it. I just feel like it delays things which could be the point as they may be buying time for more testing kits, etc.

There really is no excuse for the Federal Gov to be dragging their feet about COVID-19 testing kits. They "had" weeks to prepare for kits and setting up testing locations and to top it off a certain person is lying about the availability of kits.

I'm going to be honest. I never thought this virus was fake but I didn't see it making the impact it is having. Maybe I'm just not smart enough but I just don't see how cancelling everything is going to help much but I will be happy to be wrong. The problem is as someone said the economic implications are going to be huge and if it doesn't do much not worth it. I just feel like it delays things which could be the point as they may be buying time for more testing kits, etc.

Saw this on twitter - its the easiest way to understand social distancing that I have seen so far.

IMG_975E6DE8EB08-1.jpeg

It is about trying to slow it down so what happened in Italy doesn’t happen elsewhere. The healthcare system is not equipped for this and it is going to come down to choosing which life to save over another. But if we can slow it down so that it doesn’t increase 10x from one week to the next, it gives our healthcare system time to prepare and hopefully save more lives. I personally am feeling the effects that this is doing to the economy, but if it comes to lives, someone’s mother (potentially my own!), over money, I will choose lives.

Exactly. The same number of Americans may ultimately become infected, but if that number can be spread out over time, patients requiring respirators/breathing assistance can be saved. If the numbers peak very quickly, we will encounter a shortage of medical equipment and many who would have survived with access to breathing assistance, will instead perish due to lack of enough equipment to go around.

"Flattening the curve" to keep the number of simultaneous critical cases below our medical equipment supply can make such a difference. (Interesting graphs about it can be found online and in prior posts.)

I believe the thought behind closing/cancelling things is to help limit the spread from one infected person (who might be unaware they are carrying) to another. I stated in a previous post I live in WA, where the US outbreak began so we have been dealing with this situation locally longer than some other states. Some of our hospitals are facing surgical mask and respirator shortages. Some healthcare workers are being directed to re-use the same mask or go without. Apparently there are still lack of test kits and lack of testing, even here. That is unsettling.

I place more trust in my local news sources than national ones (and I have healthcare worker friends who have worked with virus patients and I believe them - they are 30 year+ professionals), but there are some really interesting articles available (one is in the NY Times) about Seattle infectious disease Dr. Helen Chu and how she tried to assist early on and was basically shutdown. If the information is accurate it shows how easily this spread from unwitting persons and how the Federal Government really missed the mark earlier on. I am glad there is a much more serious tone taken now, but its too bad it had to get to where we are today. Unfortunately, I think it's going to continue getting much worse.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter