• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Coronavirus and DCL Megathread - Suspension of Departures for the fleet until early November. Booking only available from early December.

I'm fine with the cancellation....just do it or don't do it. Our cruise leaves on Saturday and I'd like to know what's going on. Moving it out doesn't really work for our family and we are fine with going. We live close to PC so lucky on that part but there are many starting their travel today.

Do you seriously think Italy is taking the steps they are taking because they what, want attention? Have you read the reports out of hospitals in Northern Italy? It sounds like a war zone. And they got their first case 2 weeks before the US got one. 4 weeks ago a hospital worker in Italy might made the same pointless argument that everything seemed fine. That's the speed with which this thing goes from nothing to a crisis in an affected area. Even Trump isn't denying it anymore. Maybe your area will remain lucky. Maybe not.
Do you seriously think Italy is taking the steps they are taking because they what, want attention? Have you read the reports out of hospitals in Northern Italy? It sounds like a war zone. And they got their first case 2 weeks before the US got one. 4 weeks ago a hospital worker in Italy might made the same pointless argument that everything seemed fine. That's the speed with which this thing goes from nothing to a crisis in an affected area. Even Trump isn't denying it anymore. Maybe your area will remain lucky. Maybe not.
[/QUOTE
Did I say Italy was doing this for attention? Where did you come up with that?

I just read this today ...

But there may have been some misunderstanding of the term “mild” as applied to coronavirus, according to Bruce Aylward, who led the World Health Organization team that visited China amid the outbreak in Wuhan. Aylward, who has, per the Times, “30 years experience in fighting polio, Ebola and other global health emergencies,” says cases classified as “mild” by doctors in China include those that develop into pneumonia, and “severe” means needing machine-assisted breathing. Cases deemed “critical,” he says, involve respiratory failure or multi-organ failure.
I guess time will tell when we see for ourselves.

It will be interesting to see what the cruise lines do now.
The European travel ban seems senseless to me.
What about Disney World are they going to shut that down too

I guess time will tell when we see for ourselves.

It will be interesting to see what the cruise lines do now.
The European travel ban seems senseless to me.
What about Disney World are they going to shut that down too

Probably - all shops apart from supermarkets, food stores and chemists are closed in Italy. I think the travel ban is sensible and I'm surprised that the UK isn't included.

I'm fine with the cancellation....just do it or don't do it. Our cruise leaves on Saturday and I'd like to know what's going on. Moving it out doesn't really work for our family and we are fine with going. We live close to PC so lucky on that part but there are many starting their travel today.
We are in the same boat - no pun intended! Flying from Canada in a few hours to Orlando and still not sure what to do. Facing quarantine from work most likely if we go on a cruise - not appealing. Kids devastated. I am waiting until noon to see if DCL shuts down, and then I will have to make a decision.

Probably - all shops apart from supermarkets, food stores and chemists are closed in Italy. I think the travel ban is sensible and I'm surprised that the UK isn't included.

The UK and Republic of Ireland are not included in the travel ban, because they are not part of the 26 country Schengan area of open borders

Yes I live in the UK, and would prefer not to be the only route out of Europe :)

Absolutely, our government are trying to slow the rate down, as a starter, I am sure measures will be announced later with regards to groups of people meeting up, schools etc., They are trying to judge the best time to start shutting things down, too soon and people will get fed up and the virus will peak again, too late, it puts huge pressure on the national health service, as we all get free healthcare, the system could be overwhelmed.

Italy is shut down, along with many other cities, anyone who goes to Europe at the moment is crazy! To be honest, I feel that anyone who would want to get on a cruise ship, must be a bit crazy too, unless they are fully healthy, fit and no medical conditions and under the age of 55! It could be you spend a week with flu symptoms, which if you are in those categories are not too serious, just uncomfortable, you may not and be fine, that's your gamble, you could also get quarantined somewhere and not allowed into any ports - worth the risk?

Absolutely, our government are trying to slow the rate down, as a starter, I am sure measures will be announced later with regards to groups of people meeting up, schools etc., They are trying to judge the best time to start shutting things down, too soon and people will get fed up and the virus will peak again, too late, it puts huge pressure on the national health service, as we all get free healthcare, the system could be overwhelmed.

Italy is shut down, along with many other cities, anyone who goes to Europe at the moment is crazy! To be honest, I feel that anyone who would want to get on a cruise ship, must be a bit crazy too, unless they are fully healthy, fit and no medical conditions and under the age of 55! It could be you spend a week with flu symptoms, which if you are in those categories are not too serious, just uncomfortable, you may not and be fine, that's your gamble, you could also get quarantined somewhere and not allowed into any ports - worth the risk?
Totally agree. I think we’re all waiting to hear what Boris has to say later. And as for a cruise - no way. I’m booked on the May ebta and waiting for a cancellation. I won’t be cruising but don’t feel like being pushed into an alternative unless absolutely necessary.

We are in the same boat - no pun intended! Flying from Canada in a few hours to Orlando and still not sure what to do. Facing quarantine from work most likely if we go on a cruise - not appealing. Kids devastated. I am waiting until noon to not sure what to do. Facing quarantine from work most likely if we go on a cruise - not appealing. Kids devastated. I am waiting until noon to see if DCL shuts down, and then I will have to make a decision.
I would be surprised if any decisions were made today.

Be careful which news sources you read, as some are not reporting it accurately.

Agreed, and while I believe there are some media sources that are more accurate and reliable than others, as a whole they have the difficult job of deciphering the information they are provided before they report on it. Just using last night's POTUS address I think its easy to see how difficult that is. I watched it and based on exactly what was said I though I understood the restrictions. Within minutes news sources were reporting that they had received clarification from the administration and then more specific and apparently accurate information was then provided. Well why didn't POTUS provide exactly that in the first place? Honestly, I think this is one of the main reasons we are where we are. Since this was initially portrayed as a hoax that was going to magically disappear, which it was not and didn't, we all went about our lives business as usual (until very recently) unknowingly spreading this and now we have extremely serious fallout, the least of which are the lives that have been lost. The financial ramifications are catastrophic and we are going to feel those for a very long time. Maybe those who were cavalier about this might start rethinking their actions and how they actually play a part in limiting the spread of this.

Hopefully this virus is worth it because the economic implications are going tho be huge and a lot of people are going to suffer.

I'm going to be honest. I never thought this virus was fake but I didn't see it making the impact it is having. Maybe I'm just not smart enough but I just don't see how cancelling everything is going to help much but I will be happy to be wrong. The problem is as someone said the economic implications are going to be huge and if it doesn't do much not worth it. I just feel like it delays things which could be the point as they may be buying time for more testing kits, etc.

I'm going to be honest. I never thought this virus was fake but I didn't see it making the impact it is having. Maybe I'm just not smart enough but I just don't see how cancelling everything is going to help much but I will be happy to be wrong. The problem is as someone said the economic implications are going to be huge and if it doesn't do much not worth it. I just feel like it delays things which could be the point as they may be buying time for more testing kits, etc.

It is about trying to slow it down so what happened in Italy doesn’t happen elsewhere. The healthcare system is not equipped for this and it is going to come down to choosing which life to save over another. But if we can slow it down so that it doesn’t increase 10x from one week to the next, it gives our healthcare system time to prepare and hopefully save more lives. I personally am feeling the effects that this is doing to the economy, but if it comes to lives, someone’s mother (potentially my own!), over money, I will choose lives.

An Italian consultant described the effects as dealing with a bomb that’s gone off. Then the next day even more and next day more and so on. They have to decide who gets the icu bed and who doesn’t. The higher the numbers the less chance of getting one. Delay means less people at one time which means more people live.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter