Coronavirus and DCL Megathread - Suspension of Departures for the fleet until early November. Booking only available from early December.

I can’t answer your question, but I was able to get through to DCl in 10 minutes by pushing the I want to book a new cruise option. She was able to answer my question about booking a new GT rate. She did say supervisors are the only ones that can move money around and the wait time for a supervisor is over an hour. She suggested calling back later this week if I decide to through with it.
Just an FYI for anyone that has questions.

My question was if GT rates fall under the cancel up to 24 hours before and she said yes. This would eliminate the need for cancel for any reason insurance.
In talking with DCL this morning- once you either pay for a GT rate or choose to rebook a previously booked cruise eligible to be moved you are already in the penalty period. You can change the cruise up until 24 hours of embarkation but Disney has the money and will not refund it- they will just move it as a credit. I thought that was helpful to know in thinking through options.

The problem with 12 month rebooking is that everyone who booked 2020 on opening day will now be booking well after for 2021, and we know what that does to pricing.

If DCL at least offered concession to opening day 2021 for anyone rebooking now, it would be a plus.
It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

In talking with DCL this morning- once you either pay for a GT rate or choose to rebook a previously booked cruise eligible to be moved you are already in the penalty period. You can change the cruise up until 24 hours of embarkation but Disney has the money and will not refund it- they will just move it as a credit. I thought that was helpful to know in thinking through options.
Thanks I’m aware it’s not a refund, but the option to move the funds to next years cruise is fine with me. I’m grateful DCl has extended this offer. Hopefully all goes well and we‘ll be sailing this year.

This will be our 25th DCL cruise. We love cruising and were not about to let that be ruined by a little virus.

So if I cancel now I can get my money back, but once my cruise date moves into the "you can move it" category I won't be able to get the deposit back if I decide to cancel before PIF? If so that makes my decision so much easier. I'll just cancel.

I wouldn’t call it the high road...
Their imuno compromised friend is going on an Italian cruise over the summer and the poster was hysterically worried about going on a cruise with their friend in early 2021. They were clearly more worried about how this would impact their ‘21 cruise and not about how their friend’s health could be impacted.
The poster also refused to listen to the logic of any reply to them.

Have a nice day 😎
And good luck in your choices -

I’ve found my happiness now that I’ve changed my cruise date .

It’s to each their own -
I’m being respectful of her.

Again , good luck with your choices .

Now if you don’t mind , “Liberee delivee😎

So if I cancel now I can get my money back, but once my cruise date moves into the "you can move it" category I won't be able to get the deposit back if I decide to cancel before PIF? If so that makes my decision so much easier. I'll just cancel.
You can still cancel and get a full refund if you’re before PIF. We’re talking about GT rates that are non refundable even if booked before PIF.

That was what DCL said today. Yes. If we delay our PIF past the original PIF, we are still in the cancellation penalty period for the full amount. She kept me on hold while she verified with supervisors. You can cancel before the original PIF and get a refund but if you delay the PIF, the full amount is Disney's but you could move it.

That was what DCL said today. Yes. If we delay our PIF past the original PIF, we are still in the cancellation penalty period for the full amount. She kept me on hold while she verified with supervisors. You can cancel before the original PIF and get a refund but if you delay the PIF, the full amount is Disney's but you could move it.

Thank you for clarifying. Guess they are making it an easy decision for me, although I was holding out hope that we might be able to travel. There's no chance I want to reschedule with no cancellation options at this point.

If you have a booking that was an on board booking- you can transfer the funds to another cruise and maintain the OBB benefits even if after the original 24 months.

Thank you for clarifying. Guess they are making it an easy decision for me, although I was holding out hope that we might be able to travel. There's no chance I want to reschedule with no cancellation options at this point.
You got it. No refunds if cancelling past PIF. Just allowing transferring of funds.

Thanks for leaving a recent update! Unless there are strict travel bans we are still heading out on the Fantasy on Saturday. I have three older kids and this has always been such an important time for us/them. How did you find the cruise? Less busy than usual? The kids are worried it will be a ghost town. Again - I totally understand the concerns. However, this is not the first virus to circulate and it certainly wont be the last. I hope that the lessons here about prevention, tracking crew, not cross-contaminating ships with crew transfers, strict crew health checks, hand-washing etc will prevent this from happening again - but until then we are doing our best to practice common sense but not derail our lives!
It was my second Disney cruise but first time on the Dream class ship. So more people than my previous Wonder experience, but not a full ship. Still plenty of people, but also meant that there weren't insane character lines and I was always able to find a table to eat at in Cabanas/Castaway Cay. And the kids clubs always looked hopping!

No anxiety either from people on board. It was more proactive but not alarmist!

Have fun!

We were booked for 4 night Dream this Monday. I called DCL at 11:30 am and was on hold for 30 min. I then spoke to a rep who was the rudest Disney employee I have ever encountered ( 10 WDW trips and 5 Disney cruises). When I told him that I needed to move my cruise, he became very abrupt and told me it would be a further 2 hour wait. I told him (politely) that I was disappointed as customers were told to call if they needed to make a change but there didn’t seem enough people or hours to handle the calls. He then told me that if I just did the cruise, I wouldn’t have to stay on hold (paraphrasing). I told him I didn’t have a choice due to my profession. At this point, I was thinking that I was now done with Disney, after 20 years and more money than I could contemplate. I thought I’m going to redeem my money (20k) with a rescheduled cruise and I’m never giving them another cent. I then waited another 2.5 hours (total 3 hours) and then spoke to the kindest, professional rep who helped me rebook to a March 2021cruise. In the end, I owe $80. I need a break from Disney after this. Our family will do the 2021 cruise but I don’t think we will be the crazy Disney lovers that we once were. I will need a new disboard name!

Question-- if we cancel, get credit and then rebook, do you think we would be able to cancel/rebook the rebooked cruise if this mess is still going on and I'm uncomfortable? Our cruise is in a few weeks and looking to book a September 2020 cruise, but there just is no guarantee that this will be resolved!

Also, if we get cancel now and get credit, and then they decide to move to straight refunds (because they have to cancel the whole cruise for instance), do you think we would still get the refund or are we stuck with the rebook?

I find people's reactions and responses a little startling...not only on Disboards, but in the general public and of course the news media. It seems like there is a fair amount of reckless disregard for common sense and science, other people, and in some cases its being replaced by arrogance and stupidity (my opinion).

I don't consider myself an alarmist in any sense of the word. My family continues to go to their respective jobs, schools, although that might be short lived as our local college is now shutdown, I'm guessing the K-12 schools aren't far behind as the county I live in has just confirmed its first case of the virus. I went out with friends both nights last weekend, shopping on Sunday, so we are doing things, but the last place I want to be right now (or in the coming weeks) is confined on a bus, train, plane or boat or at a theme park (or similar).

Currently, our family is staying away from visiting our in-laws (or anyone else) who are elderly and have underlying health issues because we don't want to potentially expose them to this, in case we happen to be carrying it. I have no reason to believe we are, it just seems prudent to err on the side of caution, for their sake, not mine! The current state of affairs is not going to last forever, but I really wish people were showing a greater concern for others health and the concerted efforts to try to lessen the risk of transmission and the additional impacts, which is really all anyone can do. I guess there will always be those people (unless there ends up being a mass self quarantine) who simply won't be inconvenienced and won't rethink their choices because THEY are healthy so they're going to go on their planned vacation regardless of the risk it poses to others.

I'm just curious if you haven't paid for your cruise how can they keep your funds other than the deposit?

We were booked for 4 night Dream this Monday. I called DCL at 11:30 am and was on hold for 30 min. I then spoke to a rep who was the rudest Disney employee I have ever encountered ( 10 WDW trips and 5 Disney cruises). When I told him that I needed to move my cruise, he became very abrupt and told me it would be a further 2 hour wait. I told him (politely) that I was disappointed as customers were told to call if they needed to make a change but there didn’t seem enough people or hours to handle the calls. He then told me that if I just did the cruise, I wouldn’t have to stay on hold (paraphrasing). I told him I didn’t have a choice due to my profession. At this point, I was thinking that I was now done with Disney, after 20 years and more money than I could contemplate. I thought I’m going to redeem my money (20k) with a rescheduled cruise and I’m never giving them another cent. I then waited another 2.5 hours (total 3 hours) and then spoke to the kindest, professional rep who helped me rebook to a March 2021cruise. In the end, I owe $80. I need a break from Disney after this. Our family will do the 2021 cruise but I don’t think we will be the crazy Disney lovers that we once were. I will need a new disboard name!
Well, you've only had that name for two days. LOL. I'm glad it worked out for you. Yeah I was told the hold time to move funds was a long one. I would just cancel and rebook the GT rate, but I paid with like 4 different credit cards so it's easier to move the funds. I got some time I don't see prices going up this Summer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter