Coronavirus and DCL Megathread - Suspension of Departures for the fleet until early November. Booking only available from early December.

We just found out that a “self-quarantined” individual in our neighborhood broke quarantine in a major way (a quarantine dad went to a father/daughter school dance—what a jerk) and two schools have been closed as a result. And of course, many of my coworkers have kids in those schools so may end up becoming carriers as well, yet are still coming into the office until/if they get sick. I say this only because it changed my focus from thinking about getting sick on vacation to thinking about getting sick at home. I wouldn’t be surprised if a lot of us end up getting quarantined whether or not we go on our cruises.
They need to implement like other countries that if you break quarantine you got to go to jail. Something serious in order for people to take quarantine serious.

They need to implement like other countries that if you break quarantine you got to go to jail. Something serious in order for people to take quarantine serious.
The article I read said they warned him that if he does it again they will put him and his family under an official quarantine by force of the law.

This is where we are with our 8/30 Norway cruise. If I had to self-quarantine at home for some reason, I'd be fine. I can do some of my work from home and my job would cover me for the duration. I'm not worried about my own health for one second, but all it takes right now is one person exposed to create a chain of cascading events that prevents or erases the joy of the vacation.

My TA thinks things will be clearer later this week after the cruise lines and government announces new policies. She also thinks Disney will extend their cancellation changes to include our sale date. We're fully insured, so it was never about the money. It's about not wanting to lose my vacation. At least we've got a Plan B WDW stay lined up in case. If we can't take that, then pretty much nothing is happening!
Shanghai Disneyland is reopening. If things are getting better in China. Hopefully by August things will be better every where.

Shanghai Disneyland is reopening. If things are getting better in China. Hopefully by August things will be better every where.

Just the shopping and dining, not the theme park itself. AND with these restrictions:

"Visitors will be greeted by a very different atmosphere than before the coronavirus outbreak, however. From now on, guests entering the facilities will have to undergo temperature screenings, and be required to wear a mask throughout the entire visit, the company said. Anyone entering one of the dining areas will also have to present a QR code that pulls up their health records. "

Just the shopping and dining, not the theme park itself. AND with these restrictions:

"Visitors will be greeted by a very different atmosphere than before the coronavirus outbreak, however. From now on, guests entering the facilities will have to undergo temperature screenings, and be required to wear a mask throughout the entire visit, the company said. Anyone entering one of the dining areas will also have to present a QR code that pulls up their health records. "
Well it’s a start isn’t it.

We are scheduled on the June 13th Disney Magic cruise from Rome to Greece. Ironically, this cruise was so oversold last summer that we had to check back every week for 16 weeks in the fall, before we could secure a verandah room. Now every category is available at lower price points.

Evaluating the real objective risks versus the media fears and pandemic panic has proven challenging for us, as all of you know.

We are not at all concerned about contracting or dying from the corona virus, as our odds of dying in a car accident or from the regular flu are thousands of times greater (flu 1:5400, car 1:8900, corona 1:20M). That said, our real concern is the risk of quarantine, sailing forced cancelation, or state quarantine.

We think getting quarantined for weeks is our biggest risk, since a boat population gets treated as a single isolated community -- one person infected, requires the assumption of all infected. Those odds right now are about 1:100 and increasing with each ship quarantined. Also, our cruise is leaving from Italy -- the second highest infected zone in the world, so the odds of quarantine are substantially higher.

The other risk is trip cancelation, which would be unfortunate, but not a big deal for us. There is risk that Italy's travel ban could expand to the south or the government prohibits cruise ship departures/arrivals from their ports. It is also plausible that DCL could decide to change the sailing or take the boat offline if too many people cancel (like the airlines shut down entire regions/legs). That is less likely, but possible.

At this time the odds are still in our favor and risks are low, but things can change fast if outbreaks are not contained. We are not making any changes and will re-evaluate in a month or if new situations arise.

We just found out that a “self-quarantined” individual in our neighborhood broke quarantine in a major way (a quarantine dad went to a father/daughter school dance—what a jerk) and two schools have been closed as a result. And of course, many of my coworkers have kids in those schools so may end up becoming carriers as well, yet are still coming into the office until/if they get sick. I say this only because it changed my focus from thinking about getting sick on vacation to thinking about getting sick at home. I wouldn’t be surprised if a lot of us end up getting quarantined whether or not we go on our cruises.
I travel for work and have been in and out of 5 major international airports in the US in the last 3 weeks. It would not surprise me in the least if I end up sick or a carrier. I can take precautions and limit my exposure, but even if I wasn't, I can't limit what others around me do. I can just be as safe and educated as possible. I don't have to make any immediate cruise decisions, so I can't answer what I would do there. The idea of getting quarantined on a ship or government facility is less than ideal. But we are not cancelling any other travel we have at this point, including a trip to WDW at the end of this month.

We just found out that a “self-quarantined” individual in our neighborhood broke quarantine in a major way (a quarantine dad went to a father/daughter school dance—what a jerk) and two schools have been closed as a result.
So...this is my confusion about "self quarantine" or "self isolation" -- how is that effective unless the whole household quarantines? My understanding is a person can be infected and contagious even without showing symptoms. Therefore IF dad is infected, he could be passing it to the rest of his family, who are then out in the community sharing it even though dad is in quarantine.

So...this is my confusion about "self quarantine" or "self isolation" -- how is that effective unless the whole household quarantines? My understanding is a person can be infected and contagious even without showing symptoms. Therefore IF dad is infected, he could be passing it to the rest of his family, who are then out in the community sharing it even though dad is in quarantine.
It was his oldest daughter who tested positive. So I believe the household was under quarantine not just him.

I'm not a healthcare worker, but I have two friends who are nurses, one in Labor and Delivery and one in the ER in WA (and very near what seems to be the epicenter of Covid-19 in WA). One is immuno-suppressed (from medication), the other works in the ER and HAS treated individuals who are infected. Since they are on the frontlines of an area that is highly affected, I'd say they have good insight. I don't know that either would say they are plagued with fear (they are used to taking daily precautions for their own health and others), but they certainly have heightened levels of concern, both have said in all their years of nursing (30+) this virus is a different than anything they can recall in the past.

Contrasting and misinformation shared by the government and news media does not instill much confidence in anyone (including health care workers) and the facts regarding the virus are seemingly changing so quickly. It seems to me that there is some fear shaming going on (not necessarily talking about this thread, but in general). I think its irresponsible and wrong for anyone to intone that someone who is fearful enough of a very real, potentially deadly virus who chooses to exercise an added degree of awareness or precaution by making an immediate change in their daily life or postpone or cancel a trip means they have succumbed to overhyped fake news.

That being said, I am even more appreciative of our first responders and health care workers who knowingly put themselves at risk each and every day to protect us.

Last edited:
It was his oldest daughter who tested positive. So I believe the household was under quarantine not just him.
OK, but my question still stands in general even if it wasn't the exact situation for this person. If I travel for work, I am supposed to self-isolate - no mention of my family, just me. There's little or no formal "quarantine" for a potentially-exposed-household member unless maybe an infected individual who has been seen by a medical professional. Lots of companies are doing this -- asking employees to "self isolate" and work from home, but the family is free to go about life.

We are scheduled on the June 13th Disney Magic cruise from Rome to Greece. Ironically, this cruise was so oversold last summer that we had to check back every week for 16 weeks in the fall, before we could secure a verandah room. Now every category is available at lower price points.

Evaluating the real objective risks versus the media fears and pandemic panic has proven challenging for us, as all of you know.

We are not at all concerned about contracting or dying from the corona virus, as our odds of dying in a car accident or from the regular flu are thousands of times greater (flu 1:5400, car 1:8900, corona 1:20M). That said, our real concern is the risk of quarantine, sailing forced cancelation, or state quarantine.

We think getting quarantined for weeks is our biggest risk, since a boat population gets treated as a single isolated community -- one person infected, requires the assumption of all infected. Those odds right now are about 1:100 and increasing with each ship quarantined. Also, our cruise is leaving from Italy -- the second highest infected zone in the world, so the odds of quarantine are substantially higher.

The other risk is trip cancelation, which would be unfortunate, but not a big deal for us. There is risk that Italy's travel ban could expand to the south or the government prohibits cruise ship departures/arrivals from their ports. It is also plausible that DCL could decide to change the sailing or take the boat offline if too many people cancel (like the airlines shut down entire regions/legs). That is less likely, but possible.

At this time the odds are still in our favor and risks are low, but things can change fast if outbreaks are not contained. We are not making any changes and will re-evaluate in a month or if new situations arise.

My understanding is that the data on effectiveness of isolation policies are dubious at best. You need China-level lock downs just to delay spread for a few weeks at best.

You are requesting to cross funds from two separate entities, I would imagine if they allowed that it would create a fiscal nightmare at the end of the year reconciling financials. I understand being frustrated about it, but no surprise they won't allow it.

I understand they are two separate entities, and that DCL would take a hit if they let people spend their money at the parks Instead, but as a shareholder I would be perfectly happy with this arrangement. Both companies profits ultimately end up in the same place. And sometimes people need to step back and consider the big picture instead of just saying no. I guess I just expected more from Disney. I would rather see then take my money in a way that makes me happy and want to come back. If the logistics are problematic, I’ll buy my WDW vacation now and take a refund for my cruise after providing proof that I spent the moneyat Disney World. They should do it just to make their customers happy.

It's why I don't think all of this quarantining is going to help matters. You can quarantine 3000 people off a ship, but in the meantime, thousands of people are walking around infecting other people. By the time the 3000 people on the Grand princess are out of quarantine, there could be another 100k in the world that tests positive. At some point, most of us will get infected or know someone infected and most us of will recover.

I know a lot of people on this thread are pro quaranteeing, but I respectfully disagree. I think this should be treated like we treat the flu.

We’re scheduled to leave on the Fantasy this Saturday, but my husband doesn’t believe his employer will be sympathetic if we get quarantined after ignoring the state department’s warning. So i waited on hold for TWO HOURS this morning to beg DCL to let me take my cruise credit and apply it to a Walt Disney world stay next week instead. You would think in light of the government warning they would be sympathetic, but the person I spoke with was not only unhelpful, he was pretty rude. He told me they’re aware of the state department’s warning but aren’t making any changes to their plans because of it. He said all their ships are still full as though I’m lucky to have my reservation. That doesn’t explain why it took them two hours to pick up my call of course. Must have been an influx of travelers trying to book Disney cruises. I came here hoping to see if he was telling the truth that no one is cancelling. Thanks to all the people who’ve posted here. This is helpful. Maybe I’ll see some of you on the Fantasy next week because it doesn’t look like we’ll be getting our money back if we don’t go.
The person on the phone doesn't have the power to refund you your money. He's just a CM following protocol.

Your only hope is disney cancels the cruise then you would get your money back from the cruise and apply that money to the disney world trip. Like the other member mentioned even though your booking trips with Disney, going to world and on cruse line are 2 separate businesses. They don't work together. Unless you booked disney world with them as a port excursion you might be able to get a refund.
There will be some cruises cancelled without a doubt. If the Dream leaves on a 3 day cruise and someone tests positive for the virus and the boat is quarantined for 14 days..............then the next 3 Dream cruises at the minimum will be cancelled.

Unless DCL is lucky enough to never get a confirmed person on board with the virus.

It's why I don't think all of this quarantining is going to help matters. You can quarantine 3000 people off a ship, but in the meantime, thousands of people are walking around infecting other people. By the time the 3000 people on the Grand princess are out of quarantine, there could be another 100k in the world that tests positive. At some point, most of us will get infected or know someone infected and most us of will recover.

I know a lot of people on this thread are pro quaranteeing, but I respectfully disagree. I think this should be treated like we treat the flu.
Couldn’t agree more!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter