Coronavirus and DCL Megathread - Suspension of Departures for the fleet until early November. Booking only available from early December.

My fb cruise group have reported that Med cruises including the TA will have 15 months. Not yet publicised which makes me wonder whether there will be a further announcement for European Cruises

EDIT: I will eat my words. Just got an email saying the 15 month extension is in place. I like to think my conversation with a top executive last night helped.

I am skeptical. The same source I spoke with yesterday at DLC who said this policy was coming today, implied that no decision had been made for the June cruises in Europe, and that decision would be made as it gets closer. He called things "fluid." And believe me, he would know if a policy decision had already been made.

Last edited:
Someone posted that they just boarded the Dream and everyone’s temp was checked, but I’m a little surprised that they’re allowing people to self serve at Cabanas and the drink stations (this is per that person).

Just be aware with the insurance that it actually covers the whole family if you get sick and not just the person getting sick. My daughter got a high fever at DL the day before flying back to Australia and the insurance would have only covered for flight change and hotel cost her and 1 given adult NOT the hole family, despite having had a doctor visit /note.

My cruise is in a month and while I appreciate that DCL is relaxing the cancel policy, I am also disappointed that the rebook period is 1 year. We are at the mercy of DD’s school schedule and would probably move our cruise to next spring break but it will be one week later in 2021 so just outside of one year. :guilty:

Given my family’s ages and health status, I’m not concerned about getting the virus. It is likely circulating freely where I live anyway. I am concerned about being quarantined. I don’t understand why the US doesn’t have a clear protocol in place after what happened on Diamond Princess. It would make me feel much better if they could say “if a case is suspected on board x, y, and z will happen”. And then I could decide if I’m ok with that.

Some questions for those who speak with an agent:

1. If a cheaper cruise is booked (due to less busy week or shorter cruise) can the balance be an onboard credit?
2. Can the rebooked cruise be moved (if still within the 12 months?) Ie: Rebook to Fall and then later rebook to next Spring if still within 12 months?
3. What happens if the rebooked cruise drops in price? (as seems likely as they are crazy expensive right now.)

Just got this email from DCL .
We are booked for a June Med cruise.

03/06/2020

Reservation #:

Dear ,

Thank you for choosing Disney Cruise Line. As you prepare for your European cruise, you probably have questions and concerns about Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19), and you should know that we are taking precautionary steps to protect our guests and crew members. Your health and safety, as well as that of our crew, is our primary focus. We are also committed to keeping you informed and updated, and are happy to address any questions you have in advance of your cruise and once you're onboard.

Currently, we have not made any changes to our European itineraries, though we are closely watching the situation in Italy. We are monitoring global developments and following the guidance of public health authorities and ports of call regarding who they will allow to disembark based on travel history and health screenings. We will notify you should itinerary changes be necessary.

In the meantime, please note that, for our departures from the U.S., the following guidelines are in effect and are likely to continue to evolve as more information becomes available:
  • Currently, any guest or crew member who has traveled from, to or through China, including Hong Kong and Macau, South Korea, Italy, Iran or Japan, within 14 days of departure will not be able to board our ships.
  • Any guest or crew member who has been in contact with someone from these areas, including guests with connecting flights in these locations, also will not be able to board, nor will anyone who has helped care for someone suspected of having or diagnosed with coronavirus, or who is currently subject to health monitoring for possible exposure. Guests who have air travel booked through Disney Cruise Line will automatically have their flights rebooked on an alternate route. Guests who booked their own air travel arrangements should contact their airlines directly to make the appropriate changes.
  • As is always our practice, we screen all guests and crew members before they board and anyone who feels unwell with gastrointestinal or flu-like symptoms (fever over 100.4º F, chills, cough or difficulty breathing) will not be permitted to sail. All guests and crew members will have their temperature checked by a nurse with a no touch thermometer prior to boarding, regardless if they are symptomatic or feel unwell. Additional medical screening will be required for anyone with a temperature of 100.4º F or greater, and they along with their travel party may be unable to sail.
If any of these situations apply to you, please contact your Travel Agent or Disney Cruise Line at 1-866-325-2112 or 407-566-3510 so that we can discuss your options.

Additionally, given the current situation, we are offering temporary adjustments to our cancellation policy to provide more flexibility for our guests. Guests currently booked on European cruises through our July 25 departure can change their reservation up until the day before embarkation and receive a 100% cruise credit to be used for a future sailing within 15 months of their original sail date by calling the telephone number above. The credit is non-refundable and standard prevailing rates will apply.

Disney Cruise Line consistently receives among the highest public health inspection scores. We also have a comprehensive plan that outlines protocols for managing illness and closely follow the guidance of public health officials. Some of these procedures include:
  • Training for all of our crew members on how best to prevent the spread of illness onboard.
  • Extensive cleaning and sanitation of high-traffic areas (e.g., handrails, doorknobs and elevator buttons) and children's facilities.
  • Cleaning of all staterooms twice a day, and additional disinfection when necessary.
  • Medical clinics on our ships staffed with experienced doctors and nurses and stocked with supplies and medications to treat a variety of illnesses.
According to public health authorities, you can also help prevent the spread of illness by frequently washing your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after using the restroom and before eating. Parents can supervise their children to ensure they wash their hands thoroughly. In addition, Disney Cruise Line has sanitation wipes conveniently available in multiple places on its ships, including entrances to dining areas. Covering your nose and mouth with a tissue (or with your upper sleeve) when sneezing, and avoiding sneezing or coughing into your hands or without covering your nose and mouth, is recommended.

If at any time during your cruise you believe you are ill, we ask that you please contact the ship's Health Center immediately. Our doctors and nurses are available to make sure you receive the appropriate medical care.

We will continue to provide you with information as this situation evolves and we appreciate your patience and understanding. We look forward to welcoming you aboard.

Sincerely,

The Cast and Crew
Disney Cruise Line

• Beginning Friday, March 6, all guests and crew members will have their temperature checked by a nurse with a no touch thermometer prior to boarding. Additional medical screening will be required for anyone with a temperature of 100.4º F or greater, and they along with their travel party may be unable to sail.
  • Finally, guests scheduled to sail between now and May 31, 2020, can now change their reservation up until the day before embarkation and receive a 100% cruise credit to be used for a future sailing within 12 months of their original sail date. You can make this change by calling 1-866-325-2112. The credit is non-refundable and standard prevailing rates will apply.

This announcement matches the GT rates released today. Almost every cruise between now and the end of June, including Hawaii.

I asked this same question earlier before threads were merged and the Moderator responded. Thank you lanejudy! It is #758 here. Someone asked and was told yes the discount and OBC would apply to the new booking if you had if for cruise your canceling in accord with the announced policy today.
Wonderful! Thank you!

This makes me happy for my cruise in May...however, my PIF for my July cruise is in 3 weeks. All my flights are booked, but my instinct is to cancel and put the money in a placeholder because next year we would like to do the eastern transatlantic rather than the northern european and if I have to cancel my hawaii cruise I will transfer my money to that one. If I then PIF for my July cruise and have to cancel that...I won't want to take another cruise the same summer. The only reason I am doing it this year is because I have the hawaii booked and my son is forgoing working this summer to do two cruises this year. He isn't going to do that next year. My husband thinks that if we cancel and then decide to go on it, we can book last minute cheaper because no one else will be booking. What do you guys think?
I think your husband is correct.

Now they have changed the PIF date to 30 days before. That is great news...but will there still be better deals later? Hmmm.

Can I still call DCL directly to change the current cruise if I booked through a Dreams Unlimited agent? Just wanted to check before I am on hold for several hours which I anticipate being the case.

We are on the 3/21/2020 sailing. Not sure what we are going to do at this point. This cruise was all new ports we have never done and not one I have seen DCL offer during Spring Break. But my family is a nervous wreck. The worry is the potential for quarantine more so than the actual virus. What a mess this is! But I get it being in close quarters is risky and this seems to be more easily transmittable than the typical flu.

I’m interested to know if they will transfer the 10% discount for obb to the new cruise.
I asked this same question earlier before threads were merged and the Moderator responded. Thank you lanejudy! It is #758 here. Someone asked and was told yes the discount and OBC would apply to the new booking if you had if for cruise your canceling in accord with the announced policy today.
It was @NokOnHarts post #752 earlier in this (now merged) thread:
... I was told if you currently have 10% off on your reservation and/or the $200 OBC they will transfer that to the new reservation. No refunds being offered currently. ...​

Enjoy your cruise!

Just got this email from DCL .
We are booked for a June Med cruise.

03/06/2020

Reservation #:

Dear ,

Thank you for choosing Disney Cruise Line. As you prepare for your European cruise, you probably have questions and concerns about Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19), and you should know that we are taking precautionary steps to protect our guests and crew members. Your health and safety, as well as that of our crew, is our primary focus. We are also committed to keeping you informed and updated, and are happy to address any questions you have in advance of your cruise and once you're onboard.

Currently, we have not made any changes to our European itineraries, though we are closely watching the situation in Italy. We are monitoring global developments and following the guidance of public health authorities and ports of call regarding who they will allow to disembark based on travel history and health screenings. We will notify you should itinerary changes be necessary.

In the meantime, please note that, for our departures from the U.S., the following guidelines are in effect and are likely to continue to evolve as more information becomes available:
  • Currently, any guest or crew member who has traveled from, to or through China, including Hong Kong and Macau, South Korea, Italy, Iran or Japan, within 14 days of departure will not be able to board our ships.
  • Any guest or crew member who has been in contact with someone from these areas, including guests with connecting flights in these locations, also will not be able to board, nor will anyone who has helped care for someone suspected of having or diagnosed with coronavirus, or who is currently subject to health monitoring for possible exposure. Guests who have air travel booked through Disney Cruise Line will automatically have their flights rebooked on an alternate route. Guests who booked their own air travel arrangements should contact their airlines directly to make the appropriate changes.
  • As is always our practice, we screen all guests and crew members before they board and anyone who feels unwell with gastrointestinal or flu-like symptoms (fever over 100.4º F, chills, cough or difficulty breathing) will not be permitted to sail. All guests and crew members will have their temperature checked by a nurse with a no touch thermometer prior to boarding, regardless if they are symptomatic or feel unwell. Additional medical screening will be required for anyone with a temperature of 100.4º F or greater, and they along with their travel party may be unable to sail.
If any of these situations apply to you, please contact your Travel Agent or Disney Cruise Line at 1-866-325-2112 or 407-566-3510 so that we can discuss your options.

Additionally, given the current situation, we are offering temporary adjustments to our cancellation policy to provide more flexibility for our guests. Guests currently booked on European cruises through our July 25 departure can change their reservation up until the day before embarkation and receive a 100% cruise credit to be used for a future sailing within 15 months of their original sail date by calling the telephone number above. The credit is non-refundable and standard prevailing rates will apply.

Disney Cruise Line consistently receives among the highest public health inspection scores. We also have a comprehensive plan that outlines protocols for managing illness and closely follow the guidance of public health officials. Some of these procedures include:
  • Training for all of our crew members on how best to prevent the spread of illness onboard.
  • Extensive cleaning and sanitation of high-traffic areas (e.g., handrails, doorknobs and elevator buttons) and children's facilities.
  • Cleaning of all staterooms twice a day, and additional disinfection when necessary.
  • Medical clinics on our ships staffed with experienced doctors and nurses and stocked with supplies and medications to treat a variety of illnesses.
According to public health authorities, you can also help prevent the spread of illness by frequently washing your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after using the restroom and before eating. Parents can supervise their children to ensure they wash their hands thoroughly. In addition, Disney Cruise Line has sanitation wipes conveniently available in multiple places on its ships, including entrances to dining areas. Covering your nose and mouth with a tissue (or with your upper sleeve) when sneezing, and avoiding sneezing or coughing into your hands or without covering your nose and mouth, is recommended.

If at any time during your cruise you believe you are ill, we ask that you please contact the ship's Health Center immediately. Our doctors and nurses are available to make sure you receive the appropriate medical care.

We will continue to provide you with information as this situation evolves and we appreciate your patience and understanding. We look forward to welcoming you aboard.

Sincerely,

The Cast and Crew
Disney Cruise Line
Was this sent to all guests booked through July 24 already? I’m checking my email and have not received anything yet.

Now they have changed the PIF date to 30 days before. That is great news...but will there still be better deals later? Hmmm.

For all the cruises? Mine is in August, which is why I'm asking.

What happens if the rebooked cruise drops in price? (as seems likely as they are crazy expensive right now.)
I would be surprised if they actually reduce regular fares. What they will most likely do (actually, sounds like they are doing for some cruises already) is offer *GT rates - which are discounted but restricted fares. Requires a "new booking" and cannot be applied to any current reservation.

IF you find regular fares actually do drop for your cruise, you can contact DCL and have the new lower fare applied to your reservation. This is highly unlikely, though.

Enjoy your cruise!

See I assume this might lead to less discounts. If I can cancel up until the day before the cruise there’s no reason the do it early and inventory will show as lower until right before the cruise.
Plus if prices are discounted I’d assume currently booked passengers would cancel and rebook so I‘d think there’s a real risk in DCL discounting fares right now.
I could be wrong though (and was kind of counting on a lot of discounts popping up).

I'm wondering how they'll handle this is well. I admit my first thought was to keep an eye out for some awesome GTY rates to pop up. Not sure that will happen though. If it does, what's to stop currently booked passengers from moving their reservation to next year some time, and then snagging a better rate on their current date... or maybe one close to it?
I'm betting discounts will be offered, but maybe they'll be targeted deals ie: CM rates, TA offers, etc.

This is correct. We are scheduled to go out on the Dream on Monday 03/09. For the 03/09 cruise, over 300 people cancelled yesterday that were booked to be onboard with a large group from a company. When I looked at available staterooms a few mins ago, all those rooms are still showing unavailable even though I know they are in fact cancelled and empty. I thought DCL would be offering last minute discounts to get people on the cruise since about 15% of the cruise cancelled yesterday in one swoop. But appearances are that the cruise is booked up (even though it's very empty) so no discounted rates.

Maybe an opportunity for a port upgrade?
I say you should be all over that one since you know so many people cancelled and the cruise is just a few days away.
Best of luck if you decide to try!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter