Coronavirus and DCL Megathread - Suspension of Departures for the fleet until early November. Booking only available from early December.

Yes then I'm afraid that they could come up with such a rule even for Italian passports? 🤔
In regards to the ports, do you then think that to avoid paying the fine they will still try to go to those Bahamian locations, knowing exactly that they won't be able to dock, but then just putting it as a "sorry they won't let us dock" kinda thing. In the mean time my fear of not docking anywhere realises...
I believe MSC is already doing that. Or maybe it isnt with passports but rather just travel through any art of Italy despite their website saying only the 2 northern regions that are heavily affected. So I would expect it is possible.

Unfortunately ports are never guaranteed, even less so now. I could see an exception being made to maritime law for these events in hope of keeping the entire cruise industry from collapsing but also not risking infection to smaller, poorer nations. If you dont think you could tolerate a cruise to nowhere then I would definitely reconsider sailing now.

I guess the other question, regarding the fines for not stopping in a foreign port- what would cost the cruise line more- not sailing at all, or paying the fines?

I am not sure if this is the same fine, but about 24 years ago, I was on my first cruise- an Alaska cruise that started in Alaska, and ended in Vancouver (IIRC). Due to an emergency back at home, I had to get off at a small port in Alaska, and fly home. In order to do so, I had to reimburse the cruise line the fine for getting off at a US destination. My fading memories distinctly remember it being a $150 fine at the time. I am assuming that would be per-person. So even if DCL (or any cruise line) had to pay, say $500 per passenger, would that cost the company more, or would cancelling the cruise altogether cost more? IMHO, when it comes down to something like this, it will come down to a simple cost/benefit analysis by the cruise line.

I believe MSC is already doing that. Or maybe it isnt with passports but rather just travel through any art of Italy despite their website saying only the 2 northern regions that are heavily affected. So I would expect it is possible.

Unfortunately ports are never guaranteed, even less so now. I could see an exception being made to maritime law for these events in hope of keeping the entire cruise industry from collapsing but also not risking infection to smaller, poorer nations. If you dont think you could tolerate a cruise to nowhere then I would definitely reconsider sailing now.
Thanks for your reply. Just to understand atm Bahamas are not letting the ship Dock only if they have someone with symptoms?
Is anyone due for a cruise soon and has a clearer communication from Disney?
Also what is the requirement for the identification document, does it have to be the same document I entered the US with or my UK driving licence with my UK address would be enough. I think that it would be really hard for them to understand whether a European person has been to Italy or not because we don't have stamps within the EU.

Thanks for your reply. Just to understand atm Bahamas are not letting the ship Dock only if they have someone with symptoms?
Also what is the requirement for the identification document, does it have to be the same document I entered the US with or my UK driving licence with my UK address would be enough. I think that it would be really hard for them to understand whether a European person has been to Italy or not because we don't have stamps within the EU.

I haven't heard of the Bahamas turning a ship away yet, only Jamaica and Grand Cayman. The question isn't what has happened so far, but what is going to happen when this becomes even more widespread in the US and other countries? And for that, there are no clear answers as of now.

Cuises to nowhere arent a thing anymore for a reason. A closed loop cruise from the US needs at least one foreign port or the company will incur heavy fines. I am unsure why this rule now exists, never cared enough to google.

My understanding is that this rule is only for ships that are flagged in foreign countries (which most (all?) cruise ships are). The rationale is that this prohibits foreign-flagged ships from competing in within-US business (e.g., trade). I think if a cruise ship were U.S. flagged, this would be allowed. Please someone correct, if I'm wrong.

Non-US citizens need to show their original valid passport. It is only US citizens that can use a birth certificate AND ID on closed loop US cruises.

I hope that everyone will become more reasonable with the 'banning', as it really doesn't make sense to ban someone with a passport to a certain country if they haven't been there in the past 2 months. (And with covid19 now circulating around parts of the US, it's really too late for that type of containment.)

I guess the other question, regarding the fines for not stopping in a foreign port- what would cost the cruise line more- not sailing at all, or paying the fines?

I am not sure if this is the same fine, but about 24 years ago, I was on my first cruise- an Alaska cruise that started in Alaska, and ended in Vancouver (IIRC). Due to an emergency back at home, I had to get off at a small port in Alaska, and fly home. In order to do so, I had to reimburse the cruise line the fine for getting off at a US destination. My fading memories distinctly remember it being a $150 fine at the time. I am assuming that would be per-person. So even if DCL (or any cruise line) had to pay, say $500 per passenger, would that cost the company more, or would cancelling the cruise altogether cost more? IMHO, when it comes down to something like this, it will come down to a simple cost/benefit analysis by the cruise line.

I really think they will just cancel before they start routinely cruising to "nowhere." Its not the same as a random circumstance of events that only happens on one isolated cruise.

I haven't heard of the Bahamas turning a ship away yet, only Jamaica and Grand Cayman. The question isn't what has happened so far, but what is going to happen when this becomes even more widespread in the US and other countries? And for that, there are no clear answers as of now.

This. And the islands so far have shown a fairly conservative approach to virus containment. If DCL is denying boarding to people who have been in China, Italy, etc. what happens when (not if) the US has as many cases or more?

cruising in 16 days. Our most recent communication from DCL is posted below:

On Thursday we sent you an email about your upcoming cruise vacation and the proactive steps we are taking in regard to Coronavirus Disease 2019.

As we mentioned was possible, information continues to evolve and today public health officials have issued additional travel guidance and some of our ports of call have provided further information regarding who they will allow into their ports based on travel history. Therefore, the following updated guidelines are in effect and may continue to evolve as more information becomes available:
  • Any guest or crew member who has traveled from, to or through China, including Hong Kong and Macau, South Korea, Italy, Iran or Japan, within 14 days of their sailing's departure will not be able to board our ships.
  • Any guest who has been in contact with someone from these areas, including guests with connecting flights in these locations, also will not be able to board, nor will anyone who has helped care for someone suspected or diagnosed with coronavirus, or who is currently subject to health monitoring for possible exposure. Guests who have air travel booked through Disney Cruise Line will automatically have their flights rebooked on an alternate route. Guests who booked their own air travel arrangements should contact their airlines directly to make the appropriate changes.
  • As is always our practice, we screen all guests before they board and anyone who feels unwell with gastrointestinal or flu-like symptoms (fever over 100.4º F, chills, cough or difficulty breathing) will not be permitted to sail.
  • If your cruise includes a stop in Nassau or Castaway Cay, please note that The Bahamas will not allow anyone to disembark in any Bahamian port if they have been to China in the past 20 days prior to arrival. These guests may be able to sail but will be unable to visit The Bahamas.
  • If your cruise includes a stop in Jamaica, please note that in addition to the locations noted above, officials there also will not allow guests who have visited Singapore within 14 days of arrival to come ashore. These guests may be able to sail but will be unable to visit Jamaica.
If any of these situations apply to you, please contact us at 1-866-325-2112 or 407-566-3510 so that we can discuss your options.

Disney Cruise Line consistently receives among the highest public health inspection scores and has rigorous sanitation standards. We also have a comprehensive plan that outlines protocols for managing illness and closely follow the guidance of public health officials. Some of these procedures include:
  • Training for all of our crew members on how best to prevent the spread of illness onboard.
  • A health questionnaire completed by all guests and crew members to screen for illness before they board the ship.
  • Extensive cleaning and sanitation of high-traffic areas (e.g., handrails, doorknobs and elevator buttons) and children's facilities.
  • Comprehensive cleaning of all staterooms twice a day, and additional disinfection when necessary.
  • Medical clinics on our ships staffed with experienced doctors and nurses and stocked with supplies and medications to treat a variety of illnesses.
According to public health authorities, you can also help prevent the spread of illness by frequently washing your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after using the restroom and before eating. Parents can supervise their children to ensure they wash their hands thoroughly. In addition, Disney Cruise Line has sanitation wipes conveniently available in multiple places on its ships, including entrances to dining areas. Covering your nose and mouth with a tissue (or with your upper sleeve) when sneezing, and avoiding sneezing or coughing into your hands or without covering your nose and mouth, is recommended.

If at any time during your cruise you believe you are ill, we ask that you please contact the ship's Health Center immediately. Our doctors and nurses are available to make sure you receive the appropriate medical care.

Please know that your health and safety, as well as that of our crew, is our primary focus. We are committed to keeping you informed and updated, and are happy to address any questions you have in advance of your cruise and once you're onboard. We look forward to welcoming you aboard and providing you with a magical cruise experience.

Sincerely,

The Cast and Crew
Disney Cruise Line

Just went off the phone with DCL. They said that they will look at my booking address so if that's a UK address that should be fine. Obviously they couldn't say about skipping the ports issue. But she said that from the 2nd of May they have the go ahead to book citizens from countries that are currently on the travel advisory. They must be very positive at DCL 😅

Just went off the phone with DCL. They said that they will look at my booking address so if that's a UK address that should be fine. Obviously they couldn't say about skipping the ports issue. But she said that from the 2nd of May they have the go ahead to book citizens from countries that are currently on the travel advisory. They must be very positive at DCL 😅

Positive is one word. Delusional is another.

🤣

Canceling the cruise would cost way more. Assuming it is $500 per person, they are making significantly more profit per person than that. Even on the budget cruises, margins are around 20%. Although I couldn't find it, I suspect Disney has a much higher markup, probably around 40% or more. Let's say 30% to be conservative. A family of four would spend around $6,000 for an inside stateroom for 7 day cruise. That put the profit at around $2,400, minus $500 in penalties, for a profit of $400. Add to that excursions and online purchases, and Disney will come out well ahead after fines. Than figure the profit goes up as the room category goes up, but the fine states the same, and I have no doubt they would make more money paying the penalty than letting the ship sit empty, which would result in major expenses to the company every day it sits without passengers. Even if they were breaking even on each cruise, it would save money over letting it sit empty while they still paid the crew, paid to have the ship somewhere, probably had food go bad that was ordered ahead of time, etc. Factor in lost goodwill, and canceled cruises will be a very high price for the company.

I understand it's a tough call for the cruise lines. We cruise in a month and as of right now the cruise is still going on. Several of us in our party no longer want to go. We have an immunocompromised senior citizen and a few others who have severe asthma. If this were a land based trip we wouldn't have the same concerns. The idea of being on a ship for 10 days with a potential infector, or potential quarantine, or potentially skipping some ports is all worrisome.

I completely understand how difficult it would be to fully refund from a business perspective. I'd be perfectly fine with a voucher to cruise at a later date. I don't want to just give up all the money we have invested in it, however. If it comes down to that I would probably not cruise again for many years (if ever).

Just went off the phone with DCL. They said that they will look at my booking address so if that's a UK address that should be fine.

Get this in writing from DCL. All it would take to ruin your trip is one, overly zealous DCL port authority to see your Italian passport and try to deny you boarding. You could say that you called and got approval, but I doubt they would take your word. Have something....even an email....from DCL showing that they gave their approval.

I'm not sure what islands are Bahamian or Caribbean or some other grouping so I cant help with that except that there have been random islamds here and there not letting cruise passengers off. Google should get you specifically what islands.

IDK that Jamaica has technically turned away a ship they just wouldnt give clearance and kept hemming and hawing until the captains decided to leave.I am guessing there is something about the port fees contract that is motivating that reaction. Grand Cayman has denied as well as a few other islands denying specific ships.

But I agree you cant even guess on a day to day basis what is going to happen, things are changing so rapidly. Sucks for those of us with a cruise 2-3 months out that have to decide of we should cut bait or not.

Get this in writing from DCL. All it would take to ruin your trip is one, overly zealous DCL port authority to see your Italian passport and try to deny you boarding. You could say that you called and got approval, but I doubt they would take your word. Have something....even an email....from DCL showing that they gave their approval.

While I would get that documentation I dont necessarily believe that something I could print at home (and therefore easily forge) may be acceptable as "proof". There have been many times a company will tell me that the only available policy on line is incorrect. If their own policies from there own websites wont be considered as proof I dont know that a letter from someone theyve never heard of will fare any better. I'd still try but Id also not be surprised if I was denied.

I'm not sure what islands are Bahamian or Caribbean or some other grouping so I cant help with that except that there have been random islamds here and there not letting cruise passengers off. Google should get you specifically what islands.

IDK that Jamaica has technically turned away a ship they just wouldnt give clearance and kept hemming and hawing until the captains decided to leave.I am guessing there is something about the port fees contract that is motivating that reaction. Grand Cayman has denied as well as a few other islands denying specific ships.

But I agree you cant even guess on a day to day basis what is going to happen, things are changing so rapidly. Sucks for those of us with a cruise 2-3 months out that have to decide of we should cut bait or not.

While I would get that documentation I dont necessarily believe that something I could print at home (and therefore easily forge) may be acceptable as "proof". There have been many times a company will tell me that the only available policy on line is incorrect. If their own policies from there own websites wont be considered as proof I dont know that a letter from someone theyve never heard of will fare any better. I'd still try but Id also not be surprised if I was denied.
Bahamas is a country. Caribbean is not.

I’m surprised more people aren’t talking about the person who was diagnosed in Santa Clara who fell ill after returning Feb 21 from a Princess Cruise from port of San Francisco to Mexico. I have so many questions. Did she get it on the ship? Mexico? Before she even left for the cruise? I think it’s been circulating around here (NorCal) for a while so maybe they’ll never know.

I’m surprised more people aren’t talking about the person who was diagnosed in Santa Clara who fell ill after returning Feb 21 from a Princess Cruise from port of San Francisco to Mexico. I have so many questions. Did she get it on the ship? Mexico? Before she even left for the cruise? I think it’s been circulating around here (NorCal) for a while so maybe they’ll never know.
I was just reading about it on the Princess boards. They are asking people who were on that cruise and are feeling ill to immediately contact their doctor. They sent a letter to the people who are onboard now that were also on that sailing asking them to remain in their rooms until medical has contacted them.

I keep reading Cruise Critic hoping Princess will follow Viking's lead and move the PIF date of our June cruise closer to the sailing. *fingers crossed*

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter