Coronavirus and DCL Megathread - Suspension of Departures for the fleet until early November. Booking only available from early December.

So we will just agree to disagree. If you dont believe in the mask, then dont wear one. Your choice. But your not of the authority to say they dont work. What exactly did you do in healthcare? I stand by my statement.
I believe they work. I just don’t think every tom, dick and sally who order masks on amazon are wearing properly fitting n95 masks. As you well know, they have to fit correctly. Hence the yearly fit testing. If some random person just orders one, it might now be the right size, or they might not tighten it enough as a properly fitting mask can be quite tight.

I'm on a southwest flight right this second out of PVD... only one young woman wearing a mask.

I did buy chlorox wipes and wiped down the hard surfaces.

No one around me is acting sick - projectile coughing and the like. Going on the fantasy Saturday... Hoping to stay healthy!

Thanks for reporting on this.
Have a fantastic cruise.

I had some mask training from a specialized health and safety team a couple of years ago when there was an outbreak in a local long term care home that they couldn’t identify. They did an educational seminar on how these products work. We were told that the N95 masks work to prevent the tiniest of particles from entering your airways but even they only work when fitted properly by trained professionals. Healthcare workers have sessions to have this done properly.

Single use masks work to prevent large droplets from entering but small particles can get through. There are often gaps at the sides caused by the loops pulling on your ears.

Cloth masks are useless except for dust.

N95 masks may make it difficult to breathe so you have to be careful. And touching the masks with bare hands exposes you to the germs. You are more likely to touch ill fitting masks.

If you have facial hair, even the N95 mask may not fit appropriately.

Whether you choose to wear one or not is entirely of your own choosing. Most important is washing your hands for a minimum 20 seconds with soap and water and keep your hands away from your face. And stay home if you’re sick.

Thanks for posting! I think Disney will have to address this.
They will never address this upfront.
If DCL publishes in advance 'if we quarantine the whole ship, you have to pay for it yourself, no refunds', that will lead to cancellations as people will not risk it if they cannot afford it.
If DCL publishes in advance 'if we quarantine the whole ship, you get everything paid for and/or refunded', they will probably raise the prices to 'cover' for the costs they will make for this in the unlikely event it is necessary. But raising prices because of a procedure like this will lead to backlash as well.

They will only publish anything about it when there is a need for it, and that will be on a case by case evaluation, when there is a virus discovered.

Last edited:

I work in healthcare and I can’t even imagine wearing an n95 mask for the duration of a flight without taking it off. They make me feel so claustrophobic.

I agree 100%! I cannot wait to take my mask off after being in the OR. That and my nose immediately starts itching when I’m scrubbed in. 😁

This makes me feel a little better, I tend to be a worrywart! This is our first Disney cruise :)
We just got back from Disney World and will cruise with Disney Cruise Line again in April. I'm not worried about the coronavirus. I usually bring lysol wipes with me, especially for the plane and wipe down everything before I sit in my seat. Disney Cruise Line is meticulous with cleaning the ship. All guests must wash their hands before going into the restaurants, and there are sanitizing wipes all over the ship. Enjoy your cruise...it is really a magical time!

This makes me feel a little better, I tend to be a worrywart! This is our first Disney cruise :)
We just got back from Disney World and will cruise with Disney Cruise Line again in April. I'm not worried about the coronavirus. I usually bring lysol wipes with me, especially for the plane and wipe down everything before I sit in my seat. Disney Cruise Line is meticulous with cleaning the ship. All guests must wash their hands before going into the restaurants, and there are sanitizing wipes all over the ship. Enjoy your cruise...it is really a magical time!

I am glad to see I'm not the only one that wipes everything down when I sit down on the plane. The last flight I was on the guy next to me made fun of me to his wife by text (sorry but the font was like 40 so wasn't hard to not see it) and her reply was "you should start sneezing". To each their own I guess but still was offended. I'm guessing if they're flying anywhere right now they're wiping their seat tables or whatever down.

We leave for Disney World Thursday then for the Dream on Monday. I take with me the same "common sense" I use on a daily basis commuting in/out of NYC for work. WASH YOUR HANDS. WASH YOUR HANDS!!!!! There is a reason the crew has you washing your hands before you go into Cabanas, please don't complain and please just do it and do it correctly. And please BE SMART!!! Cover your mouth when you sneeze/cough (crook of the elbow!!) and like many have said.. if you are sick, please stay home! I was coming home tonight and as I was walking behind this girl she stopped, cough loud and hard a few times, then hacked a few times and then spit on the sidewalk. I can look past all it I guess because you have to do what you have to but she never once covered her mouth or made an effort too. I just shook my head (after jumping to the street to get around her hahaha) and thought this!!! This is what is wrong!! Rant over. :rolleyes1

How sad that you were shamed on the plane for trying to create a germ-free environment. I don't blame you for being offended. I have wiped down tray table and arm rests for years and believe it pays off.
I never touch the airline magazines and bring all my own reading material. People are just inconsiderate as you saw on the sidewalk and sneeze without covering their mouths turning the area around them and you on a plane into a germ zone. Keep on cleaning! :thumbsup2Cold and flu viruses can live up to 24 hours on any surface. It appears your seat mate was just a shamer who received bad advice from his wife...to start sneezing. Who could say something like that! :confused3

While you don't owe anyone an explanation, if you feel uncomfortable or judged, you could choose to offer an explanation - "I'm going to visit with my aunt whose battling cancer. I don't want to take any chances and bring her any bugs that could hurt her health right now."

At least that will embarrass them about being so judgy, and only you need to know it's a lie. Unless you happen to be wearing your Mickey ears and family t-shirts on the plane, of course.

While you don't owe anyone an explanation, if you feel uncomfortable or judged, you could choose to offer an explanation - "I'm going to visit with my aunt whose battling cancer. I don't want to take any chances and bring her any bugs that could hurt her health right now."

At least that will embarrass them about being so judgy, and only you need to know it's a lie. Unless you happen to be wearing your Mickey ears and family t-shirts on the plane, of course.
That would mean admitting that she had been reading into private conversations, and by that embarrassing herself. Lying about cancer or any other illness is not good for your kharma.

If you behave in a way that is out of the ordinary, you can expect looks. Feeling offended by it will not improve anything for anyone. Best to ignore looks and comments.

That would mean admitting that she had been reading into private conversations, and by that embarrassing herself. Lying about cancer or any other illness is not good for your kharma.

If you behave in a way that is out of the ordinary, you can expect looks. Feeling offended by it will not improve anything for anyone. Best to ignore looks and comments.
Neither is pretending to be sick and fake sneezing when someone is trying to clean up their immediate area. Or mocking a person on the low or judging the responses of others to a particular stimuli, simply because it isn't your own. Talk about things that aren't good for your karma.

Nothing is private on a plane. If you have your phone open and someone reads or views your screen, that is on you. You have zero expectation of privacy when you are shoulder to shoulder (and practically butt to belly button). That would be on them for being trashy, albeit quietly trashy.

I agree she shouldn't make any response to "those" people, because none is required. Do you girl.

:earsboy::earsboy:

Neither is pretending to be sick and fake sneezing when someone is trying to clean up their immediate area. Or mocking a person on the low or judging the responses of others to a particular stimuli, simply because it isn't your own. Talk about things that aren't good for your karma.

Nothing is private on a plane. If you have your phone open and someone reads or views your screen, that is on you. You have zero expectation of privacy when you are shoulder to shoulder (and practically butt to belly button). That would be on them for being trashy, albeit quietly trashy.

I agree she shouldn't make any response to "those" people, because none is required. Do you girl.

Thank you!! :)

And while I appreciate the sentiment of giving a 'reason' of why I'm doing it, I wouldn't. I also wouldn't be the slightest embarrassed for being found out that I read someone's text. I'm not exaggerating that the font was about 40 so even the person 3 rows back could of read it just fine, it was hard not to see it. I'm not one to hold back so I made a comment out loud so he was well aware I saw his text and I was fine with it ;) Speaking of karma, the best part of it all was he was in the window seat so guess who he had to ask to get out to go to the bathroom? Haha!!

The flu mutates just like the Coronavirus. They make the vaccine early on hoping it is for the right strain, but as time goes on it does mutate. I never get the flu shot early ( usually around end of Oct) so I have it at full strength going in to peak flu season.

It isn't necessarily the virus that concerns me...we are on Greek Isles cruise in June, with an increased number of cases in Italy...what will happen...and will Greece want people coming into their country...No need to worry about things you can't control...but still on my mind when booking private tours, ect.

It isn't necessarily the virus that concerns me...we are on Greek Isles cruise in June, with an increased number of cases in Italy...what will happen...and will Greece want people coming into their country...No need to worry about things you can't control...but still on my mind when booking private tours, ect.

It’s a lot of money gone to waste if your missing ports. Hopefully there aren’t any travel bans.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter