Coronavirus and DCL Megathread - Suspension of Departures for the fleet until early November. Booking only available from early December.

You don't need to cancel the OBB res to take funds from it. You could move it to some 2021 date, one with a very low deposit requirement for 2 guests, and move the remaining funds to pay for a _GT cruise. As long as you still keep the OBB confirmation #, the perks stay with it. Just be sure to use it by the 2 yr deadline.

My TA moves funds from one cruise of ours to another as needed and has done it several times.

Sorry, new to DCL what is OBB and GT? Thanks.

For the death rates in certain countries, that is sometimes just a case of bad luck. My country (NL) is now at 188 cases and 1 death, an 86-year old man who was already in the hospital. Wrong place, wrong time, he probably got it from a visitor who didn't know he/she had it.

Here people in the most affected area are encouraged to stay home and no social life when you have a cold & fever.

If you bought cancel for any reason insurance, you can cancel, but know what you are doing as many of those policies will only give you a percentage back. You can always call the insurance company with a list of specific questions to make sure you know what you are doing. Insurance doesn't cover fear of what may happen, only what has already happened. If you or another member in your group gets sick with anything before the cruise and your doctor fills out the form that says you cannot travel due to illness, you'll get a refund, eventually. You always need to do a lot of paperwork and jump through hoops, but the insurance will eventually pay.

I just looked at the documents again.

Under "Trip Cancellations & Trip Interruption" It says, "Up to total trip cost (10k limit) if you cancel or interrupt due to sickness, injury, death, and other covered reasons," I wonder what "other covered reasons" entails 🤔 I think I will have to call on Monday and find out.

If I cancel I would just hope to get a full refund. Don't think I would want the cruise credit because I don't even know when else I would take a cruise amidst the coronavirus. It just sucks to cancel because this trip was supposed to be a birthday trip to myself and I kinda got my 3 year old excited to see Mickey mouse 😩😞

I just looked at the documents again.

Under "Trip Cancellations & Trip Interruption" It says, "Up to total trip cost (10k limit) if you cancel or interrupt due to sickness, injury, death, and other covered reasons," I wonder what "other covered reasons" entails 🤔 I think I will have to call on Monday and find out.

If I cancel I would just hope to get a full refund. Don't think I would want the cruise credit because I don't even know when else I would take a cruise amidst the coronavirus. It just sucks to cancel because this trip was supposed to be a birthday trip to myself and I kinda got my 3 year old excited to see Mickey mouse 😩😞

Your policy will have a list of the "other covered reasons". Fear of coronavirus won't be one of them. A member of your traveling party actually being sick with or quarantined due to coronavirus probably is covered, although from others posting on here it seems many US policies have a specific exclusion for "pandemic" which may exclude that too.

"other covered reasons" typically covers things like being required to serve jury duty, suddenly losing one's job [as long as you were employed a minimum period of time at that employer], etc.

As an example, this is what DCL's vacation protection plan's "other covered events" are:

“Other Covered Events” means:
a. You or Your Traveling Companion being hijacked, quarantined, required to serve on a jury (notice of jury duty must be received after Your Effective Date), served with a court order to appear as a witness in a legal action in which You or Your Traveling Companion is not a party (except law enforcement officers);
b. Your or Your Traveling Companion’s primary place of residence is made Uninhabitable, by fire, flood, or other Natural Disaster, or vandalism;
c. You or Your Traveling Companion being directly involved in a traffic accident, substantiated by a police report, while en route to Your scheduled point of departure;
d. Inclement Weather that causes complete cessation of services of the Common Carrier on which You or Your Traveling Companion are scheduled to travel;
e. Your or Your Traveling Companion’s involuntary employment termination or layoff. Employment must have been with the same employer for at least 3 continuous years;
f. revocation of Your or Your Traveling Companion’s previously granted military leave or re-assignment, except war. Official written notice of the revocation or re-assignment by a supervisor or commanding officer of the appropriate branch of service will be required;
g. a cancellation of Your Trip if Your arrival on the Trip is delayed and causes You to lose 50% or more of the scheduled Trip duration due to the reasons covered under the Trip Delay Benefit.

END QUOTE

I have another travel cancelation/interruption policy which has a much longer list, but the above things are basically covered as well.

For these types of policies, if it is not on the list of covered things, it isn't covered. That is when your "cancel for any reason" part of the policy would kick in, IF you have CFAR coverage.

Shall we do a round of good news regarding the virus to start the day with? :) Spanish microbiologist, Ignacio López-Goñi, published an article that we have to take the virus seriously, but that the media should also focus on the good news that is happening:

The article is in French and I have translated it from a Dutch newspaper to English ;-)
https://theconversation.com/dix-informations-rassurantes-a-propos-du-coronavirus-132940
1. Quick detection.
There were 2 years between the first Aids-cases and detecting the HIV-virus. With CoVid-19, this was 1 week.

2. The new infections in China are decreasing.
The new cases are now 10 times lower than a month ago.

3. Most only get mild complaints
81% get mild complaints, 14% gets severe pneumonia and in 5% of the cases it gets critical. And that children are almost immune to the virus.

4. 50% of the people who caught it, are cured already.

5. The development of medication is going well
Some of the treatments are almost ready to be tested on humans. And there are tests with existing vaccinations that could help prevent it as well.

Conclusion: Yes, it sucks, but never in history we are capable to handle this quickly.

And the media really can play a big part in this, the article on the Dutch newspaper I am quoting above has this article marked as premium. So only available to those who have a paid account. What is available to all (besides the official news from our CDC) is the article that in Italy 25% of the population is affected by the virus as in how many people in Northern Italy are quarantined in their cities. That's an incredible scary article, in comparison to an article that tells you that help is on its way.

What we need is faith and hope that it will be resolved. We have to focus on the good, to not go crazy and buy all the toiletpaper (Is it really necessary to use a euphemism for this?) in the world.

Last edited:
NOT TO BE A " WET BLANKET HERE" but......

Lets just say that
I am aware of someone that was recently diagnosed with a medical condition that in essence leaves her with very little immune system to her body.................
Is very headstrong about going on her cruise to.........

WAIT FOR IT.....................

I-T-A-L-Y

and then.................................
wait for it.............................................

go on one of my cruises you see listed below in my signature...............

Ya know.... I bet things like this have happened in the past (people who fib on the DCL questionare that says, "Do you have any medical condition or encountered one recently?" or something like that.....
and we have survived it etc.....................

BUT DID SHE HAVE TO GO BLAB ABOUT IT ON FB AND DISBOARDS???? THAT SHES PROUD THAT SHES DEALING WITH HER CONDITION AS SHE GOES ON A CRUISE TO ITALY??

**** WTW???? ****
With all due respect here, she needs to stay home until this beer virus calms down..........
Yes, i know which cruise she will be on, I am choosing not to say to be respectful here.........

all right fellow Dissers.... chime in here please -
need your opinions on this one -

Q -
AM I OVERREACTING???

and no, dont bother me about what opinions are listed as I feel all need to see - from the good to the bad to the ugly - please give me your reactions to my posting..
MY OPINION?
she leaves me feeling very spooked and feeling like (by 09-01-20), I need to cancel that cruise and possibly BOTH of my upcoming DCL cruises......IF this beer virus don't calm down....

in short, IMO
She needs to stay at home until this beer virus calms down......

Opinions please -

T.T.F.N.
&
CHEERS Y'ALL

Last edited:
We are booked for the March 16th Dream out of Cape Canaveral. Our original choice was standard inside stateroom. I called the 1-800 number yesterday afternoon and waited approximately 30 minutes to speak to someone. He was very kind and said they would understand if I wanted to rebook but if we wanted to travel, they are taking extra precautions. We are going to go ahead with our cruise as planned unless something changes between now and the departure date. We also changed our 2 standard inside staterooms to 2 deluxe oceanview staterooms with verandahs; not because of concerns of quarantine but because it was a good deal (only an additional $445 per room). Are many others taking advantage of cancellations to upgrade their staterooms at a better rate than usual?

NOT TO BE A " WET BLANKET HERE" but......

Lets just say that
I am aware of someone that was recently diagnosed with a medical condition that in essence leaves her with very little immune system to her body.................
Is very headstrong about going on her cruise to.........

WAIT FOR IT.....................

I-T-A-L-Y

and then.................................
wait for it.............................................

go on one of my cruises you see listed below in my signature...............

Ya know.... I bet things like this have happened in the past (people who fib on the DCL questionare that says, "Do you have any medical condition or encountered one recently?" or something like that.....
and we have survived it etc.....................

BUT DID SHE HAVE TO GO BLAB ABOUT IT ON FB AND DISBOARDS???? THAT SHES PROUD THAT SHES DEALING WITH HER CONDITION AS SHE GOES ON A CRUISE TO ITALY??

**** WTW???? ****
With all due respect here, she needs to stay home until this beer virus calms down..........
Yes, i know which cruise she will be on, I am choosing not to say to be respectful here.........

all right fellow Dissers.... chime in here please -
need your opinions on this one -

Q -
AM I OVERREACTING???

and no, dont bother me about what opinions are listed as I feel all need to see - from the good to the bad to the ugly - please give me your reactions to my posting..
MY OPINION?
she leaves me feeling very spooked and feeling like (by 09-01-20), I need to cancel that cruise and possibly BOTH of my upcoming DCL cruises......IF this beer virus don't calm down....

in short, IMO
She needs to stay at home until this beer virus calms down......

Opinions please -

T.T.F.
&
CHEERS Y'ALL
Well, you are certainly being dramatic. LOL

As for over reacting I guess that would depend on how long between her returning from Italy and taking the cruise with you. If its less than 3 weeks Id probably do my best to avoid her if I knew what she looked like. But you must realize that just because she's open enough to lay all of this out there will be plenty that will knowingly or unknowingly partake in risky behavior and then be on that cruise with you. If you are going to go then you just need to have faith in good hygiene and the supplies to carry it out. Or you are just going to make yourself crazy.

And take a beat before judging her about traveling with a compromised immune system. Perhaps she feels she might not be healthy enough to travel in the future. Or that if she loses the money on this trip she wont be able to get together the funds to travel again anytime soon. You dont know what this trip means to her and why she is so willing to take the risk to go. That, of course, doesnt excuse her selfishness if she chooses not to self isolate for 2 weeks upon her return and puts others in danger (assuming that's still the recommendation). But that's another issue.

Maybe veterans to the board can answer this one for me. I've always picked a room when booking. With looking at moving our upcoming sailing or keeping it and moving to a verandah from oceanview (I'd like fresh air for my two-week quarantine please), gty rooms are slightly more expensive than selecting your room; I always thought just the opposite was true. In looking quickly, the categories are the same. Why the discrepancy and does gty always trend higher in price?

FYI Dr Fauci just commented on one of the Sunday morning news shows “if you are elderly, do not get on a cruise ship”....amongst other warnings. Of course it’s a personal choice, but I find that to be clear.

FYI Dr Fauci just commented on one of the Sunday morning news shows “if you are elderly, do not get on a cruise ship”....amongst other warnings. Of course it’s a personal choice, but I find that to be clear.
I saw the same tv Show .... imo you would be surprised by how many people don’t utilize common sense in making personal choices ....

We are booked for the March 16th Dream out of Cape Canaveral. Our original choice was standard inside stateroom. I called the 1-800 number yesterday afternoon and waited approximately 30 minutes to speak to someone. He was very kind and said they would understand if I wanted to rebook but if we wanted to travel, they are taking extra precautions. We are going to go ahead with our cruise as planned unless something changes between now and the departure date. We also changed our 2 standard inside staterooms to 2 deluxe oceanview staterooms with verandahs; not because of concerns of quarantine but because it was a good deal (only an additional $445 per room). Are many others taking advantage of cancellations to upgrade their staterooms at a better rate than usual?

We are booked on the 3/19 Magic. Yesterday we were able to upgrade our secret porthole inside room to an oceanview guarantee. They actually gave us a 90 cent credit because it was almost exactly the same price. The verandah online is showing only about $450 more on our cruise as well, but I'm going to try upgrading at the port and see what they offer.

Maybe veterans to the board can answer this one for me. I've always picked a room when booking. With looking at moving our upcoming sailing or keeping it and moving to a verandah from oceanview (I'd like fresh air for my two-week quarantine please), gty rooms are slightly more expensive than selecting your room; I always thought just the opposite was true. In looking quickly, the categories are the same. Why the discrepancy and does gty always trend higher in price?

Not sure; maybe the GTY rate aren't lock when you made your initial booking. GTY rates might now be less expensive for the same category for new bookings on the ship, but since you locked the price when you made your initial reservation, they come cheaper when you select a stateroom.

We are booked on the 3/19 Magic. Yesterday we were able to upgrade our secret porthole inside room to an oceanview guarantee. They actually gave us a 90 cent credit because it was almost exactly the same price. The verandah online is showing only about $450 more on our cruise as well, but I'm going to try upgrading at the port and see what they offer.
Great idea. It won’t hurt to ask. Good luck!

If this is a GTY room and not a *GT (restricted rate) room, then it just means they were running low in rooms in that category--so the price may indeed be higher as there is a high demand for that room category. The restricted rate rooms should be cheaper.

If this is a GTY room and not a *GT (restricted rate) room, then it just means they were running low in rooms in that category--so the price may indeed be higher as there is a high demand for that room category. The restricted rate rooms should be cheaper.
Does anyone know if the restricted booking is eligible for the new cancel/credit policy?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter