• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Controversial Topics Board

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love you right back!

blow-kiss-dating-game.gif

That guy on the right is so lost and has no idea what’s going on lol

I would like the proposed sub forum. I’m not on FaceBook, Twitter/X, Instagram, Snapchat, TikTok, or whatever other new fangled site/app has popped up that I don’t know about. I don’t read or post all of the time, and I remember deciding one day that I wanted to see how the debating here on DB was going during the 2016 election. And it must not have gone well, because the board was gone!

I also really like the idea of infractions being explained. I think I got one way back in the day and had zero idea what I said or did.

Re moving threads to the new board : how about if the thread stays where it started, with a reminder that the debate part is better suited to the debate area and then there could be a new thread opened by a mod that links back to the original? That way, on topic info in the original thread would still be visible/searchable, the sidebar conversation could continue in a more appropriate location, AND we could see where we were veering in stormy waters. And people could understand what was going on. (As an infrequent poster, it can definitely feel like the new kid in school whose parents moved in February. )

You're a real debater, Steve. Would have been a webmaster or admin, moderators can't ban. And how ironic, the connection there. To the banee though, same result. Glad you came back, as a mayor, or rather, The Mayor no less.
Thanks Dan. I always try or tried to keep mine civil and respectful and as you probably remember, it wasn’t alway possible on the Debate Board. When the discussions got nasty and personal I would bow out.

Coming back as The Mayor I had to lay low for a while. It’s coming on 18 years now though so I think I’m safe🤣

I would like the proposed sub forum. I’m not on FaceBook, Twitter/X, Instagram, Snapchat, TikTok, or whatever other new fangled site/app has popped up that I don’t know about. I don’t read or post all of the time, and I remember deciding one day that I wanted to see how the debating here on DB was going during the 2016 election. And it must not have gone well, because the board was gone!

I also really like the idea of infractions being explained. I think I got one way back in the day and had zero idea what I said or did.

Re moving threads to the new board : how about if the thread stays where it started, with a reminder that the debate part is better suited to the debate area and then there could be a new thread opened by a mod that links back to the original? That way, on topic info in the original thread would still be visible/searchable, the sidebar conversation could continue in a more appropriate location, AND we could see where we were veering in stormy waters. And people could understand what was going on. (As an infrequent poster, it can definitely feel like the new kid in school whose parents moved in February. )
The debate board was gone long before 2016!

With respect to your feelings, that sounds like an awful lot of work for a lone moderator, who I presume works and has a life outside of here. He can’t watch every thread started just like that and write warnings on it, move it, monitor it, etc. I think part of having a board like this separate from the main CB is so it can run mostly by itself. People who just want to watch the fray may have to actually join the board, and hopefully post on it, as well.

I'm sure it'll be entertaining to read what will undoubtedly be heated discussions. People can disagree and argue over nearly anything. I've yet to see any topic debated where either side convinces the opposition to reverse course. I've been here long enough to remember the debate board and the elections and right vs left and don't care to participate in those types of discussions. Back then there seemed to be more of somewhat equal split. I don't believe that is still the case here with the current members or at least the vocal posters. Already in this thread people have had their feelings hurt, been told they're spammers, or hinted that they're "ignored". The world is tough as it is and it's too easy to be mean by an anonymous keyboard. I won't be posting.

The debate board was gone long before 2016!

With respect to your feelings, that sounds like an awful lot of work for a lone moderator, who I presume works and has a life outside of here. He can’t watch every thread started just like that and write warnings on it, move it, monitor it, etc. I think part of having a board like this separate from the main CB is so it can run mostly by itself. People who just want to watch the fray may have to actually join the board, and hopefully post on it, as well.

I was thinking of a way to address this question raised earlier:

Practical question (for which you may not have an answer at this time) - if a thread starts in the "main" board (and is suitable for that) but then veers into more controversial topics/discussions, what happens? Move entire thread? Close thread and restart? Leave thread but delete some posts (if needed) and suggest a new thread be started in the "hidden" board? Something else?
I’ll admit I know practically nothing about how to moderate a forum, and wouldn’t want to create a big burden on anyone. I thought the threads on the main board would continue to be moderated, so a reminder in the main board thread, and a new thread on the debate forum (or whatever it will be named) with a link to the original thread could serve multiple purposes. People who don’t want to grab their popcorn and watch the drama could enjoy the original thread in its original locale, hopefully with a curtailment of the drama, and the opt-in folks could find the on-going saga in the new area.

I guess my idea would involve multiple moderators, and I don’t how feasible that would be. I don‘t think the mere existence of the new area would prevent controversial or heated exchanges from starting on the main boards, though, so I thought this could be a win for the opt in and the opt out folks.

I really don't like to ban people, issue points, and repeatedly close threads. It's evident that many of you love Disney and other destinations, but some are also passionate about "highly" debatable topics in the world.

Would you find it beneficial if I created a sub-board where we can move and allow "hot topics" for a semi-un-moderated discussion? I would only allow access by request. [. . .] I also want to ensure everyone here feels safe from "world drama" issues appearing in their feed.

Yes, I think it is a great idea to have a separate board. But, for the semi-un-moderated part, I actually wish you would ban some posters. There are posters that aren't here to discuss or DEBATE certain topics they are passionate about. They are here to BAIT and inflame other posters into getting points or time outs. :stir:

I don't even usually participate in the hot topic discussions, yet even I know who some of these people are. They will post certain topics, being oh, so very careful to stay within the DIS guidelines themselves, knowing full well the discussion and what they've posted, and continual comments here and there WILL eventually blow up and OTHERS will eventually start name calling, get viscous and end up with points and/or time outs. Meanwhile they don't get any (or enough to get time outs,) as when the thread eventually gets closed, they start another variation. :stir:

We had a poster here a long time ago, when the rules for no political discussions was first started, her name similar to Mornings in New England, would still create threads on hot topics that of course became political and every single one of her threads were eventually shut down. She didn't post or participate in other threads about more "safe" topics. Just continually posting more hot topic threads that got others in trouble and closed. She was around maybe a good two years before she was finally banned as, it appeared you WMs had finally had enough & it didn't matter that SHE stayed within posting guidelines in the OP. I personally, would like to see more of that.

Just a suggestion, but maybe if someone continually starts threads that get shut down, it's time to evaluate if these people are really here for the benefit of the DIS community at large or just here only to stir and rile things up and get others into trouble.

While I know the argument is that people don't have to participate in the threads, we also know some people are extremely skilled at trolling, baiting and inflaming others. They live to do that. Their primary intent is not to bring positive value to this community at large. There is a difference between starting and maintaining thoughtful, meaningful discussions, providing information where people can have a lot of points of views to be read and heard, and discuss. These people are here for themselves, poking and stoking fires,
poke.gif
to then sit back and be entertained at the firestorms they started. There are plenty of other places on the web to go to create and maintain firestorms.

I await this new forum with great relish. I already have a few interesting topics to raise that shouldn't result in too many jaws being put out but will rather spearhead interesting debate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter