• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Considering Purchasing CCV

You are one year younger than we are :). BRV expires in 2042... at which time, dear wife & I are 90 :). Just us - not going to WDW in Scooters :).

Someone in their 40's? ehhhh - BRV would likely be a bad deal :(.

As someone who has watched as his father has had to go from walking around WDW to using a scooter for trips, I would probably stop going when that happened. And sadly our 2019 to WDW with my parents will be my dad's last trip at the age of 75.

As good as WDW is about accommodating wheelchairs and ECV's it's still a pain in the butt to get around in one.

As someone who has watched as his father has had to go from walking around WDW to using a scooter for trips, I would probably stop going when that happened. And sadly our 2019 to WDW with my parents will be my dad's last trip at the age of 75.

As good as WDW is about accommodating wheelchairs and ECV's it's still a pain in the butt to get around in one.
We have had various members of our parties use ECV scooters at various times. Sometimes it was because they were older and had arthritis. Sometimes they were younger but had recently had surgery. One of my children broke their back and they were recovering. Once it was my daughter who was in her 20s, but was dealing with a high risk pregnancy. I remember going around with her and hearing people making comments that they, “couldn’t believe that young healthy people were using scooters.” I ignored it, but my sister in law turned to them and told them off. (She is known to be a firebrand.)

Anyway, you can see that I have been around them a fair amount, and we have never had much problem or been seriously inconvenienced when using them. My daughter isn’t great at driving them, so, like some people, she had to ask the bus driver to help her back up and “parallel park” them on the bus when boarding. Kind of embarassing. And the elevators at Poly are absolutely too small for scooters (you can use them at Poly, but it literally requires perfect driving on the elevator, since you need to pull forward, then to the side, and you have less than an inch of clearance). But overall, if you need to use them, they work. They are helpful, and I wouldn’t hesitate to use them if it made my Disney World trip significantly nicer and less painful. And I sure wouldn’t use it as a reason to NOT GO.

Whichever resort you end up buying, if buying direct, do not buy the exact number of points you think you will need. Buy where you would not mind staying for each visit, but you need to add a few more points to the number you think you need (I would add 20-25).

They have just reallocated the point chart for 2020. I have quickly looked and read some comments and studios got it pretty good.

Good luck with your decision.

Last edited:

I understand your concerns. But I deliberately avoided buying a resale on any 'short term' property. I will be 65 this year and I'm hoping to still be going to Disney World on a regular basis, 20 years from now!
How about 30 years from now? I'll be 91, going on 92 if I make it when OKW and BRV expire. Don't think I'm going to worry about that. Jan 31, 2042 is 23 years from next January.

As for scooters, I've used them twice, both in October and it was still hot. The bus drivers have all been really wonderful in helping me park the scooter on the bus. Sometimes we have a good laugh about my attempt to park it on the bus. Never a time to feel embarrassed. Getting around hasn't been a problem either. Sometimes you rabbit, other times you turtle. And sometimes you come to a dead stop to avoid hitting someone. But if you require more than one scooter in your party, it can be harder to get on buses if there is already a scooter on board. Sometimes you might just have to split up and meet at the park.

Last edited:
. . . Sometimes you might just have to split up and meet at the park.

On a different note, if you rent your scooters from Disney, you have to do it in the front of each park, when you arrive. You can arrange with them to make the rental for the whole week, but you still have to pick it up. And you need to leave it behind if you go to a different park, and there is no guarantee that they will have a scooter for you at a different park. Renting them at the front of the parks is time consuming, in my opinion.

A better option for us, has been to look online for of the scooter companies that are Disney Certified. If you don't know them, just ask them. Disney Certified companies can drop off the scooters with the Bell Captain before you arrive, and pick them up from bell services after you leave. Non-certified companies need you to be present when they pick up and drop off the scooters. Not a bit deal, but just means another thing to arrange. Non-certified companies often cost a bit less. Some scooter companies off the top of my head are Apple Scooter, Buena Vista Scooter, Best Price Mobility Scooters, and there are many more. I THINK the ones I just mentioned are certified. Anyway, if you rent a scooter from an outside company, you can keep it at your room, and use it to go to and from the bus. You don't have to go pick one up every morning. AND, it generally costs 1/2 to 2/3rds of what Disney charges.

There's no reason to, predictable and within written rules they should have understood going in.

The fact is, Disney really does need to adjust the number of points for Studios. Studios book out and that makes it hard for everyone to have flexibility, especially after the 7 month window. By raising the price of Studios, relative to the other unit types, Disney will help to shift the users, to spread them out better, over all the unit types. This will make Studios more available, for longer. Studio users will benefit.

I don't think they should have raised the points on 1 bedrooms. I do think they should have increased the Studios and I think they should increase the studios even more. I would like to see another increase next year, comparable to this year, in the cost of the Studios, and either keep 1-bedrooms the same, or drop them a bit. It is a problem for a lot of people that Studios go up. I own at Poly where it pretty much is ALL Studios (since most people won't be using the Bungalows.) But in the end, it really is beneficial to adjust the points to spread people over all the units, so that everyone doesn't just sit around fighting over Studios.

Another option,based on point reallocation?

1) Buy largest (subsidized) offering.
2) Sublet extra space to a second couple. Contract allows this, as long as the OWNER books.

Not doing this yet.... but if Point reallocation demands it? We have a plan.

All personal opinion - I'm not necessarily right, no one else is necessarily wrong.

This is an interesting suggestion. So, maybe I could take a vacation and schedule a 2 bedroom Lock-Off. Then sub-rent the Studio, or even the 1-bedroom portion. Since I can lock it off, I don't have to interact with them very much. But the 'tenant' would be paying for my vacation!

The fact is, Disney really does need to adjust the number of points for Studios. Studios book out and that makes it hard for everyone to have flexibility, especially after the 7 month window. By raising the price of Studios, relative to the other unit types, Disney will help to shift the users, to spread them out better, over all the unit types. This will make Studios more available, for longer. Studio users will benefit.

I don't think they should have raised the points on 1 bedrooms. I do think they should have increased the Studios and I think they should increase the studios even more. I would like to see another increase next year, comparable to this year, in the cost of the Studios, and either keep 1-bedrooms the same, or drop them a bit. It is a problem for a lot of people that Studios go up. I own at Poly where it pretty much is ALL Studios (since most people won't be using the Bungalows.) But in the end, it really is beneficial to adjust the points to spread people over all the units, so that everyone doesn't just sit around fighting over Studios.
As I read the POS, that's not accurate. IIRC the POS says they shall use demand rebalancing if needed to even out demand. That things end up eventually all booking doesn't change that. I've long said that to me the studios were too low compared to the 1 BR but in reality we don't have the data that DVC has.

We were positively helped when weekend points went down. We are negatively affected this time because the WDW lovers in our family have gotten older and no longer wish to go for the frequent family stays. Most of our stays are now in studios or one bedrooms. Oh well. We are still going to go, because we enjoy WDW, Vero and HHI. Also, Aulani, but we do not own there, we have booked a week three times, and are planning a 2020 visit.

I use an ECV often, we are in our early and mid 70’s. I am patient and use “turtle” setting 90% of the time. DH says when he needs a scooter, he will stop going. I hope he will enjoy Resort stays, I think he will. What will be, will be.

And predictable, unfortunately. Just more entitlement thinking with lack of personal responsibility
It was always explained that points reallocate within seasons and days of the week. (Not between studios and large units). Pardon us that interpreted a vacation home as it should be. Hardly entitlement thinking to plunk down major cash for something, plus annual cash, and expect a consistent product in return. Your definition of entitlement is crazy.

It was always explained that points reallocate within seasons and days of the week. (Not between studios and large units). Pardon us that interpreted a vacation home as it should be. Hardly entitlement thinking to plunk down major cash for something, plus annual cash, and expect a consistent product in return. Your definition of entitlement is crazy.
I'm not sure where you got that expiation but we've seen previous reallocation between villa types such at THV and SSR. But the reference was to histrionics, DVC seems to have more than it's fair share who participate.

I would NOT buy CCV without buying a fixed week. Who knows how many more cabin points are going to get dumped on the other unit types.

I'm not sure where you got that expiation but we've seen previous reallocation between villa types such at THV and SSR. But the reference was to histrionics, DVC seems to have more than it's fair share who participate.
Meh, you see hysterics, I see passion. Where would we be in a world without passion? It takes all types Dean.

Meh, you see hysterics, I see passion. Where would we be in a world without passion? It takes all types Dean.
There's a difference between the 2.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter