Confirmation that Tony's is still horrific?

Captain_Jim

I've got a fever, and the only cure is more WDW
Yesterday's Big Fat Panda show featured former VP of MK, Dan Cockerell. One of the questions he was asked was about the food quality at MK; specifically at Tony's. He said that they have just hired a new chef. They are now making their own pasta in-house. New recipies. Yada yada.

Has anyone been there in the past week or so to confirm or deny the quality?

Is this a rhetorical question??? Being horrible is kind of Tony's thing. Though to be fair, I have allergies, so they made a meal specifically for me, and it was fairly good.

We may have to try it again in the future if they have a new head chef and are trying to make things better. I don't think it could get worse.
For those who enjoyed Tonys, thank you, one less person in line for an ADR at another restaurant.

We also enjoy Tony’s. I have a few family members with food allergies and the chefs we have encountered over the years have been absolutely wonderful.

There are dozens upon dozens of threads about Tony's. On each, the majority of people have no problem with Tony's but there are those that hate it. But then, I see that with many Disney restaurants. We've never had a bad experience at Tony's. It's not top of my list but always a fun enjoyable dinner. Honestly, I really do not favor any of the TS restaurants in MK. Restaurants where many say is the BEST I often feel is horrible. Just look at how many horrible reviews of Ohana's on these threads and yet it is one of the most crowded and difficult to get. Take ratings with a grain of salt.

It was pretty bad when I went last month. Perhaps certain dishes are done better there than others but the Fettucine Alfredo was pretty terrible. The only enjoyable thing was the bread that came out before the meal.

I don't take stock in any reviews I read without pictures. Show me what a bad meal looks like and I will consider it.

Huh. I find this very odd. I could show you a picture of delectable-looking pasta in sauce, but if the pasta isn't fresh and the sauce is tinny tasting, how does the picture inform your thinking when, in this case, it's misleading? On the flip side, while yes, we in part eat with our eyes, there are some ugly dishes that taste really good (like poutine!).

We used to eat there every trip but stopped but not because the food was horrible. For us, it was the service and the noise of the place. We feel you can put up with just o.k. food if the service is excellent and great food and bad service but just o.k. food and bad service are a no go. We have really never had an inedible meal there.

There are dozens upon dozens of threads about Tony's. On each, the majority of people have no problem with Tony's but there are those that hate it. But then, I see that with many Disney restaurants. We've never had a bad experience at Tony's. It's not top of my list but always a fun enjoyable dinner. Honestly, I really do not favor any of the TS restaurants in MK. Restaurants where many say is the BEST I often feel is horrible. Just look at how many horrible reviews of Ohana's on these threads and yet it is one of the most crowded and difficult to get. Take ratings with a grain of salt.

Lol, seriously - is there a single WDW restaurant that doesn't have a vocal minority who hate it? :laughing:

We have just been to Tony's once, a few months ago in February, and thought it was good enough that we're going back on the first day of our trip next month. But my girls are big Lady & Tramp fans, and we ate right next to their statue, so maybe it was just the Disney magic. Besides, this is your standard American Italian food: it's kind of hard to mess up chicken parmigiana and spaghetti too bad.

Honestly...the only way to really know is to try it yourself. I too hate risking my vacation time/meals on a poorly rated spot, but I've also tried plenty of raved about spots and thought they were awful.

We've been there twice over the years and it was never horrible, but it also wasn't memorable.

It is in MK and it needs to be AMAZING..which it isn't. It needs to have a wow factor. Cinderella's Table and Be Our Guest are in castles and get their wow factor from their settings, WDW needs to up their game and leverage Tony's location as well as the theme to better fit w/ Main Street.

FWIW, I try hard not to get Italian at WDW. I grew up in the NYC area and now live in the Philly area and we are tripping over good Italian food on every corner. For us, it is more fun to try other amazing dining options than get something I could have at home (for less $$).

We have eaten there 3 times, one very good, and the other 2 I would call Olive Garden or slightly below. Its not the worst meal you will ever have (H&V holds that crown) but its not great. One upside to the place. I tell everyone who I plan a trip for if they decide they want an extra meal over what I plan for them they can almost certainly get online and get a same day ADR for the place. And the theming is nice. When my daughter was 5 she loved inside of the place.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter