Concerned about BCV room reports...should we switch to AKV (never been)?

DVCinderella

I'll send you a postcard from Paradise Falls!
We have a BCV 1-bed ressie for late August. Maybe it's because people are more likely to write complaints than praise on-line, but I'm reading an awful lot of bad room reports -- rooms looking worn, dirty carpet, moldy grout, paint peeling on bathroom walls. One review from this June said they saw a group of Disney management walking through the Villas, so maybe complaints are being addressed? But I'm concerned. We are there for 10-nights...I want to settle in to a clean room, and enjoy my stay. I'm not really interested in doing a split stay...did one a few years ago and swore never again...felt like we lost a day in the transition.

I am seriously considering moving our ressie to AKV. However, we have never stayed there, and I am a bit nervous about committing to a new resort for 10-nights...especially if we end up not liking it. We will have a car, so I'm not totally concerned about the "off the beaten track" location. However, we mostly stay at BWV, so we are used to being in the thick of things.

I chose BCV because my twins are now 8, and I thought they would love SAB. However, I've read great things about AKV for kids too.

For folks who have stayed at both, and particularly for folks who have recently stayed and BCV and can report on room conditions, I would love to hear your advice. TIA for everything!

I own and love both resorts, but for my warm weather, swimming trips, I especially enjoy BCV. DSon & family stayed at BCV in a 1 bedroom in May & loved it. I would not change resorts based on what I read here. If you have a problem with your room, go to the check in desk and explain the problem. I understand the front desk button on the phones gets you a call center. Not that I expect you to have a problem.

Now, if you WANTED to stay at AKV, I can understand your doing that. Kidani has an excellent community room. If your 8 year olds like crafts, they should find lots of things to do. There are also "bead activities" that are educational, fun and rewarding.

I will bet if you did change, there would be another DVC family taking your place at BCV, it is that popular. Decide what you want. I bet if you change, all of a sudden the LONG HALLWAYS and rides to the parks concerns will appear in these forums. You may read something about "animal smells."

If the hallway rugs look worn to me, and they did a long time ago, in no way at all did it affect my stay. I figured they would be cleaned, replaced. I never ever felt I was is a second rate hotel when I stayed at BCV.

Stayed in a 2BR at BCV in June and had no issues. The room was in great shape and overlooked the pool. I would stay again in a heartbeat and can't wait to return. SAB is a great pool and your kids will have a great time. Can't beat Beaches and Cream for a quick dinner or an ice cream. Their No Way Jose is the best. Enjoy your trip no matter what you decide!

We are staying over Labor Day in a two bedroom. I would not let others sway me. We absolutely love Beach Club and it is hard to get it. My family is so looking forward to the pool, we have always been there in cooler weather, so not been able to enjoy it.:thumbsup2

We love Animal Kingdom Lodge too, It a great property!! You cannot lose either way!!

We stay at AKV often and IMO, it feels much cleaner than other resorts just because it's newer. I haven't stayed BCV yet, but I always feel like AKV is a great back up when I need/want a clean/updated room.

They also just changed out the sofa beds last year, so those were new when we used them and it was great.

I would choose BCV for SAB, but if I was worried about the room conditions I'd go for AKV, since I've never had a problem there.

We stayed in a 2 bedroom lock off in June after our Fantasy cruise. When we walked in the room was so gross. The kitchen cabinets had spilt coffee or something all down the front of them, the dryer had something sticky all over the inside, the floors had not been vacuumed and the bathrooms were nasty. There was hair in the bathroom sink, pee around the toilet, and the floors and baseboards had some brown marks and hair. We had to call and have housekeeping come and reclean the bathrooms and vacuum the floors at 10pm at night because it just wasn't even close to clean and I didn't want my kids using the bathroom until it was clean.

Even after it was cleaned, the room just felt rundown and in need of some major refurbishment. Maybe we got a bottom of the bucket room because we booked the Summer rate and we aren't DVC members, but it definitely was not the Beach Club experience I remember from previous stays. I love the amenities at the Beach Club but I doubt we will stay in the Villas again any time soon. The great pool wasn't worth the hassle of the gross room. It was quite the letdown after such a great cruise experience.

So I guess if it were me I would pick AKL. We loved the Kidani villas when we stayed there in 2011.

I love the BCV, you can not beat that pool and the location. That said my last room there was not up to the standards I hold any hotel room to.

It was not dirty per say, but it was so worn, it was not pleasant. Many things in the room were stained and did not work or broken.

I personally will not be back until a rehab. It is the most booked resort of DVC and it is showing.

We stayed in a 2 BR lockoff end of June. One tv didn't work, but they came and fixed it immediately. Other than that, I loved the hotel and everything was nice. It looks like its ready for a rehab with style and such, but I didn't see anything wrong with the rooms.

We also spent 2 nights at Kidani. While the layout of a 2 BR was nice and of course newer, they didn't do a great job of cleaning it. It's a bit darker in these rooms and I didn't see a bug glob of hair in the corner of the shower until I was in it taking a shower. I was grossed out and disappointed that the room obviously didn't get a good cleaning.

I would stay at BC in a heartbeat.

Good luck deciding. Hope you have a nice trip!

BCV has long been our resort of choice. The location, IMO, is the best. Your 8 y.o. twins will love it. I have not yet stayed at the AKV, so I cannot actually answer your question, but I thought I would offer my two cents.

Our most recent stay at the BCV was in May and our room was fine, the only thing I can say is that housekeeping didn't wash the sliding doors leading to the balcony. While I do agree the resort could probably use a little freshening up, I wouldn't change my reservation.

As Bobbie stated, if you do have a problem with your room (and you most likely will not) ask for it to be addressed. I know I am guilty of reading the boards and becoming nervous about certain things, especially when you see complaints, but I would say just keep your reservation, and have a magical trip!:goodvibes

Just got back from the Beach Club Villas. We were in a 1 bedroom. I didn't notice any major issues. The tub didn't work at first, but maintenance fixed it right away. There was a bit of wear and tear around the room, but nothing we would complain about. That being said, I preferred the size of the room and the theme much better at Boardwalk.

...That being said, I preferred the size of the room and the theme much better at Boardwalk.

There is a difference in size and theme?? Cape May, NJ vs Boardwalk (Coney Island)?

BWV
Studio: 359 sq. ft. (+4)
1 BR: 712 sq. ft. (-7)
2 BR: 1071 sq. ft. (-4)
GV: 2142 sq. ft.

BCV
Studio: 356 sq.ft.
1BR: 719 sq.ft.
2BR: 1075 sq.ft.
GV: None

There is a difference in size and theme?? Cape May, NJ vs Boardwalk (Coney Island)?

BWV
Studio: 359 sq. ft. (+4)
1 BR: 712 sq. ft. (-7)
2 BR: 1071 sq. ft. (-4)
GV: 2142 sq. ft.

BCV
Studio: 356 sq.ft.
1BR: 719 sq.ft.
2BR: 1075 sq.ft.
GV: None

BCV is themed after a New England seaside resort of the early 1900's (Nantucket, specifically). BWV is themed after an Atlantic City Seaside Resort of the early 1900's. From Disney's website:

BWV: Reminiscent of turn-of-the-century Atlantic City, Disney’s BoardWalk Villas is located within walking distance to both Epcot and Disney’s Hollywood Studios.
BCV: Leisure, elegance and romance converge at this charming New England-style Resort hotel. Delight in stately Studios and multi-bedroom Villas, enjoy exquisite dining and explore the pools, lagoons and whirlpool spas of Stormalong Bay.

The size of rooms varies depending on website or book. Some sites list those, but according to DVC (we just met with them last week), a 1 bedroom at BCV is 726 sq ft and 1 bedroom at BWV is 814 sq ft. Difference is extra space in BWV living room and bathroom.

Having stayed at both in the last year, there's no doubt, the 1 bedroom at Boardwalk was definitely bigger. Some sites list GF rooms at 394 sq ft, and some list them at 440 sq ft. Same goes for most resorts. Unofficial Guide lists CBR rooms at 314 sq ft, when they're actually 340 sq ft.

I too was worried about the same thing for our trip this past May. We love AKV and after reading bad things about BCV I almost switched. We decided to stay put, and stayed in a dedicated 2 bedroom at BCV.

A lot of the complaints about both resorts are actually issues with housekeeping. That can happen anywhere. As far as resorts AKV is newer so it is going to be in better condition. It is our home and our favorite resort. That being said we truly enjoyed our stay at BCV. The kids LOVED SAB! We all loved strolling back after dinner at Rose and Crown for Illuminations. There were a few things that I noticed that needed fixed in our room. There was a cabinet door that was sagging badly and would not close. Neither shower nozzle sprayed very good, but we made do. When it comes down to it these things aren't enough to keep me away from BCV. We will definitely stay there again.

No one can say how you will feel about BCV, but you won't know until you try it. SAB is worth at least giving it a try!

Your kids will love SAB. We love BCV & are doing our first stay @ AKV (Kidani) this weekend. We don't spend much time in our room so not a huge issue. Let you know next week.

own AKL and its a 'relaxed' vacation - alot of riding either in your car or on a bus to and from - just an FYI. AKL is what a consider a resort destination - not a park vacation IMO

Stayed in a 2BR at BCV in June and had no issues. The room was in great shape and overlooked the pool. I would stay again in a heartbeat and can't wait to return. SAB is a great pool and your kids will have a great time. Can't beat Beaches and Cream for a quick dinner or an ice cream. Their No Way Jose is the best. Enjoy your trip no matter what you decide!

We just got back from BCV, 5 weeks ago, our 1 bedroom was in Great Shape as well as the rest of the facility. ::yes::

This topic seems to be coming up with increased frequency. We have stayed at BCV 6x over the last 3.5 years. We are going back in October. The rooms are due for a refurb, and you can expect to see some wear and tear. This could mean a loose cabinet door, some wear on the carpets, some wear on the furniture, etc. There is a distinction between wear and tear and dirty, and the rooms are always clean (unless they make a mistake). On each of our recent 2 stays a housekeeping manager checked on us within 10 minutes of check in to make sure the room was ok.

So to the OP, the room will be clean. If it's not, they will address it immediately. You most likely WILL have some wear and tear, but we find it to be a non issue.

If wear and tear are your biggest concerns, then stay at AKV b/c I would be surprised if the room there wasn't in better shape. However, you will benefit greatly from BCV's pools and proximity to two parks, especially in August when standing around at a bus stop can be exhausting in and of itself, so personally I would think this decision has to include all factors, not just some scratched furniture. I think your twins would care a lot less about the room than the amazing pools. But I'm probably not the one to ask because we stayed at AKV once and won't ever stay there again.

Also, BCV is due for a major refurb in 2014. I know that's no help, but at least that sort of validates what many have noticed.

Beach club is actually themed from cape may, nj

Technically that's not quite true. While there is the "Cape May Cafe", Disney specifically describes the resort as a New England seaside resort, and since Cape May is in NJ and NJ is not one of the 6 states that comprise New England, this would imply that it's not Cape May themed.

Coincidently I just returned yesterday from 5 days in Cape May, NJ, and I saw no commonality between there and BCV. Cape May has a very historic feel to it, and the style is vibrant mixed colors in a victorian setting. BC/BCV is truly monochromatic, and while the decor might be staged to look beach-casual, it's not ornate victorian.

I think the best description I've read thus far of BC is: "a nostalgic echo of Eastern Seaboard beach clubs circa 1900." There are several beach clubs in the Hamptons that remind me of BC, and I grew up going to Monmouth (NJ) Beach Club and remember a similar feel; lots of sand, swimming, bright colors and casual attire in a casual, simple yet elegant setting.

I guess what I'm saying is that BC does really feel like a.....beach club!

Perhaps it is only in the dedicated 2 bedroom, but a wall hanging there is a map of southern NJ.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter