complaint about members renting during holidays

Late January, late August and early September? That would be about 6 weeks? The rest of the year is "Peak?"

NO WONDER I can never get my res when I want it! :)

Yep, plus you have all those VB and HHI people who want to stay at WDW instead of their resort. ;) ;) :rotfl:

October used to be a good time to go, then Disney started the Food & Wine Festival and added multiple Mickey's No So Scary Halloween Parties. The first time we went was the end of October (10 years ago) and they only had TWO Halloween parties, one on the 30th and one on the 31st.

Yep, plus you have all those VB and HHI people who want to stay at WDW instead of their resort.

Well, maybe we oughta chop 'em out of DVC. Have 'em stay in their own places, eh? Wait a minute, that wouldn't work because then we could never stay anywhere but out own places then. Oh well, back to the drawing board. ;)

October used to be a good time to go, then Disney started the Food & Wine Festival and added multiple Mickey's No So Scary Halloween Parties. The first time we went was the end of October (10 years ago) and they only had TWO Halloween parties, one on the 30th and one on the 31st.

I know, I know. That used to be a great month. Food & Wine is a HUGE seller now, though. It makes it really hard to get a res. But I wouldn't deprive anyone of that time of year. It IS fun.

I just have to be quicker at the 11 month window call and learn to do a day-to-day as so many other members do.

I think DVC should also stop couples from reserving 1-BR units during prime weeks.:mad: After all, that greedy couple is taking away a unit that my whole family could use. I don't like that practice...it's not fair to DVC families!! In fact, before allowing a couple to use a 1-BR unit, I think DVC should call me first just to double check if my family may need the unit first.

Do you realize that some DVC members may exclusively use thier points for Xmas time stays? Do you think it's fair that year after year they hog-up more than their fair share of "DVC prime-time"?

All point owners have the same chances of booking their desired unit, what they do with it should be their business.:)

Yep, plus you have all those VB and HHI people who want to stay at WDW instead of their resort.

Deb, this is the first time I have found you to be offensive:mad: You sound as though you are saying that VB and HH have no right to stay at "our" resorts. If they chose to buy at those particular resorts, they must be fighting to get into WDW resorts, since of course "our" resorts are more desirable than their resorts are. That isn't true. In my experience, I found it harder to reserve at my resort when SSR came online, since there are so many of them. HH and VB are lovely resorts, and those members do not deserve to be looked down upon.:sad2:

In my opinion, an owner at that resort who books during their home resort priority time for rental is far more deserving than a Disney vacation Club member who owns at a different resort and wants to reserve at seven months. All others can reserve day-by-day at at the 11 month window.

Deb, this is the first time I have found you to be offensive:mad: You sound as though you are saying that VB and HH have no right to stay at "our" resorts. If they chose to buy at those particular resorts, they must be fighting to get into WDW resorts, since of course "our" resorts are more desirable than their resorts are. That isn't true. In my experience, I found it harder to reserve at my resort when SSR came online, since there are so many of them. HH and VB are lovely resorts, and those members do not deserve to be looked down upon.:sad2:

Sorry, I left off the ;) . Everyone always talks about the SSR owners not staying at the resort they purchased, just wanted to bring in the fact that there are owners at the offsite DVC resorts who also stay at WDW DVC resorts. All the DVC resorts are OUR resorts. And every member has their favorite DVC resort.

I don't think people should go out of their way to buy VB or HH because of the perceived savings (which we all here know is not true in the long run) with the nearly sole intention of using it to stay at WDW. But I for one am glad VB and HH owners often trade into the WDW resorts, it means there are rooms available for me to trade into them for my nearly yearly visit to each of those resorts!

I look at us all (all the resorts) as a whole. I just think a member should have dibbs at the prime seasons instead of someone renting it out. I don't care at other times of the year.

I have no problem with the renting/transfer of points between owners. I do not and have liked seeing the booking and renting of "choice" weeks for profit. I foor one, am glad they are helping to limit this practice.

I agree.... I think there should be a transfer board... or at least let members make two transfers... a swap thing. I know this would cut down on add-ons, but really should be allowed.

Yep, plus you have all those VB and HHI people who want to stay at WDW instead of their resort. ;) ;) :rotfl:

I know you're joking... I am not a VB owner, but 90% of our stays are at VB. Not sure where I'm going with this but, well, I guess anytime a VB owner stays at another resort.. my chances of getting into VB are greater. Hmmm... might just be a reciprocal thing.... among owners. Everyone just getting along.. Right?

Note... Deb, not renting... I promise.

I think DVC should also stop couples from reserving 1-BR units during prime weeks.:mad: After all, that greedy couple is taking away a unit that my whole family could use. I don't like that practice...it's not fair to DVC families!! In fact, before allowing a couple to use a 1-BR unit, I think DVC should call me first just to double check if my family may need the unit first.

Do you realize that some DVC members may exclusively use thier points for Xmas time stays? Do you think it's fair that year after year they hog-up more than their fair share of "DVC prime-time"?

All point owners have the same chances of booking their desired unit, what they do with it should be their business.:)

Excellent points, if you follow the thinking of some people..

Excellent points, if you follow the thinking of some people..

Yes, interesting points, except you are comparing apples to oranges if you are tying to use these examples to validate the commercial renting of speculative reservations during peak times. It doesn't change the fact that DVC and the POS prohibits renting, speculative or otherwise, as a commercial practice. If a member only reserves and travels during peak times, books larger accomadations than they need, books a peak time for a relative or friend, or even occasionally rents out a peak time reservation, that is all within the POS rules (as I see them anyway.) What is fair is subjective. The rules are not, or at least shouldn't be (some are certainly not a well defined as they could be, including the definition of commercial renting.......)

I know you're joking... I am not a VB owner, but 90% of our stays are at VB. Not sure where I'm going with this but, well, I guess anytime a VB owner stays at another resort.. my chances of getting into VB are greater. Hmmm... might just be a reciprocal thing.... among owners. Everyone just getting along.. Right?

Note... Deb, not renting... I promise.

Go to HHI in December...you and the three other people staying there. The resort is DEAD for about 4-5 months of the year and those points are being used somewhere :rotfl:

And yes I own at HHI but I use my points at HHI!

Go to HHI in December...you and the three other people staying there. The resort is DEAD for about 4-5 months of the year and those points are being used somewhere :rotfl:

And yes I own at HHI but I use my points at HHI!

DON'T use points for HH in the winter regardless. Other than holidays and school breaks, the DVC cash discount for rooms in the winter is dirt cheap. Save the points or rent them to pay for the rooms in cash. I did this last year and basically got a 2-br on cash for a studio's number of rented points.

DON'T use points for HH in the winter regardless. Other than holidays and school breaks, the DVC cash discount for rooms in the winter is dirt cheap. Save the points or rent them to pay for the rooms in cash. I did this last year and basically got a 2-br on cash for a studio's number of rented points.

Absolutely! Although in March I got an upgrade from a studio to 2BR for 38 points :cool1: I told my hubby do not expect that again!

Absolutely! Although in March I got an upgrade from a studio to 2BR for 38 points :cool1: I told my hubby do not expect that again!

No, you don't hear about upgrades on points very often........

The only "speculation" I book on is which of my friends might be able to come down with me.

I like to do New Year's at Disney. More specifically, I love to do New Year's Eve at EPCOT!

This coming season I have two one-bedroom units booked at BWV (couldn't get a two-bedroom). As it stands, two of my friends cannot finagle their vacation dates so I -might- have to dump one of those two units for New Year's week.

However, if I have to do that, the decision will be made soon and I will simply call to cancel. I know that I could rent it out (December 30th to January 5th), but I would want it to go to a waitlisted person. After all, I have been in those shoes plenty of times myself (and presently am, since I have a two-bedroom waitlisted).

Anyway, I just wanted to say that not all "speculators" book because they want to profit. Some book to see if they can get them and then try to match up vacation times from their employers.

This is not what I consider booking on spec. YOU are going down and you WANT to use what you booked. No issue at all. Also, if you can't use it, you dump it and put it back in the pool...not rent it out.

THANK YOU for handling it the way you are. I find it very ethical. :hippie:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter