College football fans: Sitting in the home section as a visitor?

Honestly, the only time I've ever experienced issues is at Clemson. When I was in school at USC, I was in the marching band. Every year we went to Clemson, their fans would throw pieces of raw chicken at us as we marched into the stadium.

All schools have terrible fans. But all schools also have great fans. You just have to find the good ones!
Clemsu... *ahem*. Sorry. Old habits die hard (especially when hearing that story)

I replied to the post above, before reading your post. We go to ACC games & I've never seen a fan in heels. If you see a dress, it's a skimpy sundress. Like you said above, it's mostly jeans, t-shirts & hoodies.
Resisting ... urge ... to make ... heels joke ... ...

Resisting ... urge ... to make ... heels joke ... ...
You got me. I should have been more specific. :rotfl: We have never seen anyone in stilettos, chunky (shoe) heels or high wedges.

Disclaimer: No shoes are directly related to Tar Heels, unless they are Jordan's. :laughing:

Last edited:
Any of those could've been the "Go-to Heels, [for] Carolina" (GTH,C) says this Duke/South Carolina fan. 😁 I'm actually looking forward to this year's victory bell game, if both teams continue to rank right behind each other (though I don't foresee that happening, at least on the dark blue side of those 9-10 miles).

Any of those could've been the "Go-to Heels, [for] Carolina" (GTH,C) says this Duke/South Carolina fan. 😁 I'm actually looking forward to this year's victory bell game, if both teams continue to rank right behind each other (though I don't foresee that happening, at least on the dark blue side of those 9-10 miles).
Now, I just feel sorry for you. I suppose knowing you'll always be little Carolina could tempt you to make a deal with the Devil. :p

The victory bell game should be a good one. Duke has a really good coach. Hopefully, a paint job won't be necessary. :teeth:

I replied to the post above, before reading your post. We go to ACC games & I've never seen a fan in heels. If you see a dress, it's a skimpy sundress. Like you said above, it's mostly jeans, t-shirts & hoodies.
It's more common among the fraternity/sorority crowd. I went to GT and in the regular student seating it was mostly t-shirts, but in the frat/sorority blocks they tended to be more dressed up.

At South Carolina, the girls definitely wear dresses, but you rarely see heels. Usually cowboy boots, sneakers, or sandals.

I think Mizzou may be kind of caught in a dress code dilemma, LOL. I am at that age when everyone has kids in college, and Moms who are Mizzou alums are a bit bewildered that the sororities are nudging members to dress up a bit for games now that the school has joined the SEC. It's not part of their tradition.

When I was in school we all did it; now it is mostly the greek organizations who keep it up at some schools, which I understand is what is driving it at Mizzou. (Not at LSU, though, where everyone who actually attended the school tends to do it. We stretch the color wheel a bit to include lavender and pale yellow, and even dark navy blue and tan, if worn with either purple or gold. That gives you more room to buy a nice outfit that isn't JUST for games. Alumni men in Louisiana are particularly fond of purple and white gingham button-down dress shirts, which they usually wear with khakis.)

The level of dressed-up is about what it might be at an outdoor daytime wedding, except that everyone is wearing variations on the same 2-3 colors, and there is an inexplicable fashion for cowboy boots worn with dresses, which I *think* was started at 'Bama. This photo is from the Grove at Ole Miss, but the clothes are pretty typical:
IMG_5734.jpg

Last edited:
I am an SEC alum and season ticket holder. I would proudly wear my colors in the opposing stadium and surrounded by opposing fans. I would not, however, be obnoxious. I'm pretty obnoxious at home, but I'll keep my smack talk to a minimum in the opposing stadium.

I think Mizzou may be kind of caught in a dress code dilemma, LOL. I am at that age when everyone has kids in college, and Moms who are Mizzou alums are a bit bewildered that the sororities are nudging members to dress up a bit for games now that the school has joined the SEC. It's not part of their tradition.

When I was in school we all did it; now it is mostly the greek organizations who keep it up at some schools, which I understand is what is driving it at Mizzou. (Not at LSU, though, where everyone who actually attended the school tends to do it. We stretch the color wheel a bit to include lavender and pale yellow, and even dark navy blue and tan, if worn with either purple or gold. That gives you more room to buy a nice outfit that isn't JUST for games. Alumni men in Louisiana are particularly fond of purple and white gingham button-down dress shirts, which they usually wear with khakis.)

The level of dressed-up is about what it might be at an outdoor daytime wedding, except that everyone is wearing variations on the same 2-3 colors, and there is an inexplicable fashion for cowboy boots worn with dresses, which I *think* was started at 'Bama. This photo is from the Grove at Ole Miss, but the clothes are pretty typical:
IMG_5734.jpg
And the Bama girls carry their Crimson and White Shakers in their Boots as they walk to the Stadium to complete the look.lol

And the Bama girls carry their Crimson and White Shakers in their Boots as they walk to the Stadium to complete the look.lol
You know I came up in the SEC when my first thought when you said this was, "Dang, why didn't I think to put a flask in a cowboy boot?"

Then I googled and discovered that you were referencing a pom-pom instead of a specially-shaped cocktail shaker. :sad2:

In big time college football, the home side is pretty much most of the stadium. The visiting school usually gets about 5,000 tickets and is usually sitting in or near one of the corners of the end zone. But usually at college football games the best seats belong to the blue hairs that sit on their hands and keep quiet except to yell SIT DOWN if you stand up.

On the other hand, there is LSU, Ohio St., Oregon, Florida, Alabama, Clemson, West Virginia, and others....

In big time college football, the home side is pretty much most of the stadium. The visiting school usually gets about 5,000 tickets and is usually sitting in or near one of the corners of the end zone. But usually at college football games the best seats belong to the blue hairs that sit on their hands and keep quiet except to yell SIT DOWN if you stand up.

On the other hand, there is LSU, Ohio St., Oregon, Florida, Alabama, Clemson, West Virginia, and others....
Yeah, our blue-hairs tend to still be pretty hard-core.

Done it and it was fine. We were not
Obnoxious, confrontational, or smack talking. We just enjoyed the game. Both times our team won. We were happy but no over the top celebrating.

It’s been over 30 years, but I had a really unpleasant experience at a Florida game as a non Florida fan. I was even wearing Gator gear and it didn’t matter. My dad’s company gave him season tickets near field level in one of the end zones. I was home from college on Thanksgiving break and they brought me to the big Florida/Florida State game. At first it was fine, but I guess my mom mentioned where I went to school at some point and that’s where it took a turn. My school had upset the Gators earlier in the season and the rabid fans were still really bitter. People started taunting me. At first, I thought they were just joking around…like it was all in good fun, but I realized that wasn’t the case when I had several drinks poured on me. I should have known better. Shortly after the upset, my mom was driving my vehicle around Gainesville and a cop pulled her over for nothing. He just made a crass comment about my school decal on the vehicle and let her go on about her business. Mind you, I’ve been there for other games where the opposing team fans were the bigger issue, but I just can’t help but remember being decked out in Gator gear and still being treated badly in one of the hardcore home sections.

It’s been over 30 years, but I had a really unpleasant experience at a Florida game as a non Florida fan. I was even wearing Gator gear and it didn’t matter. My dad’s company gave him season tickets near field level in one of the end zones. I was home from college on Thanksgiving break and they brought me to the big Florida/Florida State game. At first it was fine, but I guess my mom mentioned where I went to school at some point and that’s where it took a turn. My school had upset the Gators earlier in the season and the rabid fans were still really bitter. People started taunting me. At first, I thought they were just joking around…like it was all in good fun, but I realized that wasn’t the case when I had several drinks poured on me. I should have known better. Shortly after the upset, my mom was driving my vehicle around Gainesville and a cop pulled her over for nothing. He just made a crass comment about my school decal on the vehicle and let her go on about her business. Mind you, I’ve been there for other games where the opposing team fans were the bigger issue, but I just can’t help but remember being decked out in Gator gear and still being treated badly in one of the hardcore home sections.
Yep there & ole miss were the only place we experienced problems.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter