College football fans: Sitting in the home section as a visitor?

Well, it was quite a game! 😉

I went low-key and wore just a plain purple top, no logos, etc. I got a "Hi" after my greeting when I sat down, but not a single word after that. I did restrain myself mightily; the absolute most overt thing I did was a quiet "Yes!" with a low arm jerk when we scored. I even applauded the home team's punter, who is really very talented.

I'm happy to report that no one did anything overtly confrontational when they noticed I was not cheering for the home team, but there was something subtle: they tried to squeeze us out of our seats. As the game went on and it was clear that LSU had a good shot at overcoming Mizzou's early lead, the fans next to us started overtly man-spreading and scooting into our space. As we were in the top row of our section, we just stayed on our feet, which seemed to really disappoint them, but the folks in the rows ahead of us stood most of the time, so we had been up a lot, anyway. The upside was that most of them bailed after Mizzou's last TD, leaving us to enjoy the most exciting part in peace.

The most annoying thing other than the big squeeze was the trash talk about how the Refs were terrible and favoring the visiting team. Granted, they weren't great refs, but the majority of the more hinky calls and missed calls favored the home team. A large majority of the section we were in went insane on the subject, even getting upset that penalties against the visiting team were not severe enough to suit them. They were just screaming obscenities at the refs every time there was any kind of penalty call, though there were plenty on both sides. I've never experienced that kind of concerted harassment of the referees at any high-level game I've attended; they seemed to care more about screaming at the refs than actually enjoying the action.

Funniest thing was the drunk in the row in front of us who was absolutely convinced that more crowd noise would throw LSU off. He kept trying to explain this and rally the section to make more distraction noise, and told everyone that: "This will work, visiting teams just can't handle the noise."
:lmao:
Obviously, he had no idea that Tiger Stadium's original nickname is *Deaf* Valley. The only thing the extra crowd noise was doing was making our team feel more at home.

All in all, a great game and a pretty good time. DH was impressed with the spectacle and the amazing extent of the tailgating.

Geaux Tigers! :woohoo:

Last edited:
Well, it was quite a game! 😉

I went low-key and wore just a plain purple top, no logos, etc. I got a "Hi" after my greeting when I sat down, but not a single word after that. I did restrain myself mightily; the absolute most overt thing I did was a quiet "Yes!" with a low arm jerk when we scored. I even applauded the home team's punter, who was really very talented.

I'm happy to report that no one did anything overtly confrontational when they noticed I was not cheering for the home team, but there was something subtle: they tried to squeeze us out of our seats. As the game went on and it was clear that LSU had a good shot at overcoming Mizzou's early lead, the fans next to us started overtly man-spreading and scooting into our space. As we were in the top row of our section, we just stayed on our feet, which seemed to really disappoint them, but the folks in the rows ahead of us stood most of the time, so we had been up a lot, anyway. The upside was that most of them bailed after Mizzou's last TD, leaving us to enjoy the most exciting part in peace.

The most annoying thing other than the big squeeze was the trash talk about how the Refs were terrible and favoring the visiting team. Granted, they weren't great refs, but the majority of the more hinky calls and missed calls favored the home team. The section we were in went insane on the subject, even getting upset that penalties against the visiting team were not severe enough to suit them. They were just screaming obscenities at the refs every time there was any kind of penalty call, though there were plenty on both sides. I've never experienced that kind of concerted harassment of the referees at any high-level game I've attended; they seemed to care more about screaming at the refs than actually enjoying the action.

Funniest thing was the drunk in the row in front of us who was absolutely convinced that more crowd noise would throw LSU off. He kept trying to explain this and rally the section to make more distraction noise, and told everyone that: "This will work, visiting teams just can't handle the noise."
:lmao:
Obviously, he had no idea that Tiger Stadium's original nickname is DEAF Valley. The only thing the extra crowd noise was doing was making our team feel more at home.

All in all, a great game and a pretty good time. DH was impressed with the spectacle and the amazing extent of the tailgating.

Geaux Tigers! :woohoo:
Geaux Tigers! Glad you got to see a win!

Depends on where you go. As a Pitt fan, nobody I know travels to West Virginia anymore. Mean nasty fans that roughed up my college roommate's wife.
I'm not sad that Oklahoma is leaving the Big 12 for that reason. Every home game against them I've been to the fans would come drunk and try to pick fights in the stands with our students. Our school isn't the type to fight though so they didn't get anywhere but it was still annoying.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter