CM’s entering resort rooms with and without RO sign

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please ask this lawyer, what law Disney would be violating?

"It's a statute not a law...."
Now he's going on and on. Apparently this would get complicated depending how far Disney would take this, and since these threads get locked for veering off course, I think we will have to end it there, unfortunately. I personally would like to get into it - I like these sorts of legal debates - but I have to follow the rules we agreed to in order to keep the thread alive. Sorry.

And how would a guest get access to the back office? They don't even have access to the front desk.

Exactly the question I wanted to ask.

Via phone -you can call from the phone in the room and reach the back office. That's literally half their job (and room changes). Those are front desk cms. They are positioned right behind the front desk. They have a cm there 24hrs a day.

That is just it, people think this somehow involves their right to privacy. It doesn't. It is all a matter of contract law. Disney warns you in the terms and conditions before you book your room that they can enter at anytime. The time to negotiate exceptions, such as only a female CM, with DNA verified ID, between 3:05-3:15 in the afternoon, is before you accept their terms by booking the room.

So you think Disney contract terms give them the right for a man to enter a woman's hotel room at 2 in the morning without her consent and a judge would find that contract term enforceable? Under that contract a man can enter the room every single night at 3 am and stand near her and stare at her for an hour. Think that is enforceable? If not, why not? Where do you think the line is drawn?

While I agree with this I don't think Disney is going to negotiate. I don't think they have to, they don't lack guests trying to book rooms. The choice is either accept the policy and relinquish privacy or stay somewhere else.

I agree completely. I was just pointing out the problem with accepting Disney's terms and conditions by entering into a contract with them, and then thinking you should be able to opt of parts that someone does not like.

I agree completely. I was just pointing out the problem with accepting Disney's terms and conditions by entering into a contract with them, and then thinking you should be able to opt of parts that someone does not like.
Exactly this.

The room checks now are for everyone's safety. Everyone saw that Las Vegas shooter and to this date he really had no motive to shoot people from his hotel. Imo it's worth having the disruption to prevent someone even a minor from going in that direction. Is it perfect? Nope not at all. But at least they are being proactive.

Not even the Las Vegas hotels are doing this. This is something different. I think we are at a point where we can move past the excuse that this has anything to do with Las Vegas. They are not doing this to protect us .... because if they were ... so many here wouldn't be so uncomfortable and feeling unsafe with the intrusions.

Again, folks on this post are looking for some understanding of what they can do to make their trips less stressful, less intrusive, more secure. They are not looking to keep being told that this is normal, that they have no rights. This is not industry standard, it's only at Disney to the point other hotels are telling guests they won't do the Disney thing. Let the folks who are concerned discuss.

So you think Disney contract terms give them the right for a man to enter a woman's hotel room at 2 in the morning without her consent and a judge would find that contract term enforceable?

Yes. What law says otherwise? What caselaw? Ordinance?

So you think Disney contract terms give them the right for a man to enter a woman's hotel room at 2 in the morning without her consent and a judge would find that contract term enforceable? Under that contract a man can enter the room every single night at 3 am and stand near her and stare at her for an hour. Think that is enforceable? If not, why not? Where do you think the line is drawn?
You agree to it when you book the room. It isn't hidden. Anyone can read the terms and conditions before booking.

While I agree with this I don't think Disney is going to negotiate. I don't think they have to, they don't lack guests trying to book rooms. The choice is either accept the policy and relinquish privacy or stay somewhere else.

Yes. This.

As I said in my earlier post, and as @dansdad has implied in his posts, guests are not going to get to negotiate the terms of the resort's security policy, any more than they get a say in how undercover security personnel are deployed in MK, or get to dictate how the guards search your bags when you enter Epcot. Disney has their reasons for implementing this policy in the way that they have, and they're not going to share their reasons with the guests, or amend them to suit a guest's individual tastes.

You may have some small success, like requesting a specific time for a check, or asking that they come back later. That sometimes works. But you're simply not going to get the level of control that some in this thread are suggesting. This isn't like the time they took the mugs out of the DVC studios, and then put them back because of the complaints from members. There's some external issue driving this policy, and until and unless that issue goes away, the room checks will keep happening.

Your choices are the same as they are with any resort policy change (for example, the parking fee): accept the policy or choose to stay elsewhere.

Via phone -you can call from the phone in the room and reach the back office. That's literally half their job (and room changes). Those are front desk cms. They are positioned right behind the front desk. They have a cm there 24hrs a day.
The "front desk" button on the room phone directs you to a central call center not the actual front desk. That's one of the problems people have with this policy. Other hotels do ask guests to verify staff are supposed to be there by calling the front desk. At Disney that is not an option.

Yes. This.

As I said in my earlier post, and as @dansdad has implied in his posts, guests are not going to get to negotiate the terms of the resort's security policy, any more than they get a say in how undercover security personnel are deployed in MK, or get to dictate how the guards search your bags when you enter Epcot. Disney has their reasons for implementing this policy in the way that they have, and they're not going to share their reasons with the guests, or amend them to suit a guest's individual tastes.

You may have some small success, like requesting a specific time for a check, or asking that they come back later. That sometimes works. But you're simply not going to get the level of control that some in this thread are suggesting. This isn't like the time they took the mugs out of the DVC studios, and then put them back because of the complaints from members. There's some external issue driving this policy, and until and unless that issue goes away, your choices are to accept the policy or stay elsewhere.

I'm afraid it is not that simple - as guests do have certain rights under common law that a very vague "contract" cannot just erase and allow Disney to literally do whatever it wants. Eventually these issues either get addressed in courtrooms or by Disney tweaking policy which they do all the time. I don't understand why anyone would think Disney never changes policy to work with guests. They do all the time. For legal and/or PR reasons.

The "front desk" button on the room phone directs you to a central call center not the actual front desk. That's one of the problems people have with this policy. Other hotels do ask guests to verify staff are supposed to be there by calling the front desk. At Disney that is not an option.

Yes there is a button that takes you to an offsite call center but you can call and reach the back office. It can be done. I believe it's pressing 7. It's 100 percent not the button it says it is (and that is a problem).

Again, folks on this post are looking for some understanding of what they can do to make their trips less stressful, less intrusive, more secure. They are not looking to keep being told that this is normal, that they have no rights.

I agree. But when folks are incorrectly led to believe that they have rights that they don't actually have it can be problematic, if not dangerous, when they attempt to exercise those false rights.

I'm afraid it is not that simple - as guests do have certain rights under common law that a very vague "contract" cannot just erase and allow Disney to literally do whatever it wants. Eventually these issues either get addressed in courtrooms or by Disney tweaking policy which they do all the time. I don't understand why anyone would think Disney never changes policy to work with guests. They do all the time. For legal and/or PR reasons.
It is that simple in this case. Because Disney is private property and because staying there isn't a necessity of life, they can make the rules for using their property as long as it doesn't violate human rights.

They may eventually tweak the policy but that doesn't mean it was a legal issue. I'm fairly certain Disney pays a lot to their lawyers to make sure their contracts are legit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter