CM’s entering resort rooms with and without RO sign

Status
Not open for further replies.
WDW policy prior to the Las Vegas shooting was to knock 3 times before entering and enter after the third time with the latch is supposed to hold the door opening so if someone is inside the room or outside of the room they can recognize the entranI'd. Especially if someone is in the room.

If anyone were to ever voice they were uncomfortable either directly to the entering cm or the back office (not the operator but the legit back office behind the FD they could send multiple cms or cms of the same sex, etc whatever it would take to make everyone comfortable). Cms always have to carry I'd. They clock in with, break with it, have to use it to park. If you're ever concerned with proof -they have a literal id.

The room checks now are for everyone's safety. Everyone saw that Las Vegas shooter and to this date he really had no motive to shoot people from his hotel. Imo it's worth having the disruption to prevent someone even a minor from going in that direction. Is it perfect? Nope not at all. But at least they are being proactive.

They do have id. They are required to have it.

I meant to qoute someone ...lol sorry

But seriously security has ID -even undercover security. 100% with Dansdad they don't want to do it anymore than you want them too.

I think getting some unofficial answers to our questions early is helping the letter take shape - because our questions can be more targeted.
Note: I have been speaking to a few lawyer buddies of mine, and they all agree what Disney is doing, contrary to what some might think, is a legal recipe for disaster, on several levels.

Right now, Disney's policy is that they have the right to enter your room for any purpose. That is in writing on the door signs. Its a broad and vague policy for a reason. If they were to actually reply to a letter like yours with specific answers to each question, then they would be opening themselves up to problems when the room checks continue to be executed in an inconsistent manner.

If I demand a female security CM and they send a guy, I'm refusing to let him into my hotel room. They want in, they send a female. I mean, FFS, how hard can it be to honor that request? If I was a rape victim, would they really be able to legally say "We don't care if this sends you into PTSD, we're sending a guy you don't know into your room and you have to let him in even though we don't give you any way to find out if he's legit"?

Lawyer next to me says "It is not legal for Disney to require women to grant entry to men who they believe are going to assault them."

Right now, Disney's policy is that they have the right to enter your room for any purpose. That is in writing on the door signs. Its a broad and vague policy for a reason. If they were to actually reply to a letter like yours with specific answers to each question, then they would be opening themselves up to problems when the room checks continue to be executed in an inconsistent manner.
They are already open to serious problems right now. See example above. They are more protected with regular guidelines. Companies do not get to bypass laws by being vague.

But there's no way to verify that ID. It could be fake. There's no way to call someone and verify their identity.

The IDs have pictures, but if you get an oldie but goodie and still need verification. The back office front desk could. Security has radios. It would take maybe 10 minutes. You call back office, back office radios/calls security main desk, desk radios guard at your door or verified that he or she by name is supposed to be making rounds. And if that didn't still didn't work for you I bet the FD manager (depending who it is and what type of resort) would accompany at least the first time.

WDW policy prior to the Las Vegas shooting was to knock 3 times before entering and enter after the third time with the latch is supposed to hold the door opening so if someone is inside the room or outside of the room they can recognize the entranI'd. Especially if someone is in the room.

If anyone were to ever voice they were uncomfortable either directly to the entering cm or the back office (not the operator but the legit back office behind the FD they could send multiple cms or cms of the same sex, etc whatever it would take to make everyone comfortable). Cms always have to carry I'd. They clock in with, break with it, have to use it to park. If you're ever concerned with proof -they have a literal id.

The room checks now are for everyone's safety. Everyone saw that Las Vegas shooter and to this date he really had no motive to shoot people from his hotel. Imo it's worth having the disruption to prevent someone even a minor from going in that direction. Is it perfect? Nope not at all. But at least they are being proactive.
The room checks are not looking for weapons. Not under beds, not in closets, not in cars. The current implementation of the policy would not prevent a LV attack, and we know this because the shooter did interact with staff many times before the event and they noticed nothing out of the ordinary. ETA: If the "element of surprise" is so critical to these 5 second room checks, why are guests with dogs allowed to bypass something deemed so important?

The IDs have pictures, but if you get an oldie but goodie and still need verification. The back office front desk could. Security has radios. It would take maybe 10 minutes. You call back office, back office radios/calls security main desk, desk radios guard at your door or verified that he or she by name is supposed to be making rounds. And if that didn't still didn't work for you I bet the FD manager (depending who it is and what type of resort) would accompany at least the first time.
And how would a guest get access to the back office? They don't even have access to the front desk.

And now we devolve into the arguments. People believe they have "rights" when they agree to the terms and policies Disney sets out when you book a room on their property.

You have to let them in, you agreed to do so when you booked the room.

But there's no way to verify that ID. It could be fake. There's no way to call someone and verify their identity.

Part of the problem is that guests would not know the difference between an official Disney I.D. and a made up one. I would feel much more comfortable if someone in a Disney security officers uniform would be doing these room checks, preferably female. The crime of Falsely Impersonating an Officer is a Third Degree Felony in Florida and is punishable by up to five (5) years in prison, five (5) years of probation, and a $5,000 fine. That right there is a major deterrent to impersonating an officer.

~NM

And now we devolve into the arguments. People believe they have "rights" when they agree to the terms and policies Disney sets out when you book a room on their property.

That is just it, people think this somehow involves their right to privacy. It doesn't. It is all a matter of contract law. Disney warns you in the terms and conditions before you book your room that they can enter at anytime. The time to negotiate exceptions, such as only a female CM, with DNA verified ID, between 3:05-3:15 in the afternoon, is before you accept their terms by booking the room.

Please refer to this post:

The reason the sticky thread with experiences doesn’t allow questions or discussion is that the room check threads end up with about 90% “I don’t like it!” or “OMG, what if Disney starts doing THIS" and about 10% reports of what’s actually happening at the resorts. The thread is limited to experiences because we need a place for people to find out what’s actually going on, without having to wade through a couple of thousand rant and speculation posts.

I definitely want to keep at least one thread open for questions and discussion. The difficulty is that we always end up back at rants and wild speculation, which leads to frustration and arguments, and the thread goes right off the rails.

My personal take on the room checks is that this is not something Disney wants to do, but something they’re being required to do. By a legal department, by an insurer, perhaps at the request of law enforcement. There’s no business case for Disney to be doing this without external pressures. It costs them more money, it annoys the guests, it annoys the staff. So, given that, I don’t think customer pressure is going to make a difference here. There’s a reason they’re doing it that we’re probably never going to be aware of.

The other side of this is that everyone wants specifics. When the checks will happen. Whether the Occupied sign makes a difference. How to schedule a check for when it’s convenient for the guest. Whether or not they’ll come in anyway even if you ask them to come back later.

If you look at the experiences thread you’ll see that there aren’t any specifics. No hard and fast rules for how things are happening. That’s the nature of a security check. The minute they get completely predictable, the checks are not going to catch whatever they’re meant to catch, because the people doing the Bad Thing will simply plan around the checks. Guests are probably never going to be able to fully understand or control how these checks happen.

All of it boils down to this: It’s likely that a Disney employee will enter your room once a day. It may be at a time that’s convenient for you, it may be at a time that’s not convenient. Armed with this knowledge, you then have three choices.

• Decide that you don’t want to even take the chance that someone will enter your room, and plan to stay at a non-Disney resort from now on.

• Decide that the checks don’t bother you, you’ll roll with it.

• Decide that….you can’t decide, and you’ll try a Disney resort on your next stay and see how it goes. Maybe you’ll come back, maybe you won’t.

That’s it. All the venting on message boards that you could ever do isn’t going to give you more choices. All the arguing with fellow posters about how upset they should be isn’t going to change this policy. There’s only so many ways you can say “I don’t like this!” before it starts to get tiresome. Nobody likes it. You’re not supposed to like it. It’s a security policy that Disney has implemented and like any other hotel policy, you’re either OK with it, or it makes you want to stay elsewhere. And then, in the immortal words of Elsa….let it go.

Note: I’m not saying that y’all shouldn’t talk about this. It’s perfectly fine to have questions, and help each other gather as much information as you can. That’s what we do here. I’m just saying that after several thousand posts on the topic, there’s really not much point to arguments and rants. All of the arguments that could ever have been made….have been. All of the rants that could ever be ranted…have been. It will help to keep threads open if we try to stick to sharing helpful information, and vent your opinions and/or anger at Disney instead of at each other.

That is just it, people think this somehow involves their right to privacy. It doesn't. It is all a matter of contract law. Disney warns you in the terms and conditions before you book your room that they can enter at anytime. The time to negotiate exceptions, such as only a female CM, with DNA verified ID, between 3:05-3:15 in the afternoon, is before you accept their terms by booking the room.
While I agree with this I don't think Disney is going to negotiate. I don't think they have to, they don't lack guests trying to book rooms. The choice is either accept the policy and relinquish privacy or stay somewhere else.

Part of the problem is that guests would not know the difference between an official Disney I.D. and a made up one. I would feel much more comfortable if someone in a Disney security officers uniform would be doing these room checks, preferably female. The crime of Falsely Impersonating an Officer is a Third Degree Felony in Florida and is punishable by up to five (5) years in prison, five (5) years of probation, and a $5,000 fine. That right there is a major deterrent to impersonating an officer.

~NM
disney security is not an officer, they are hired by disney so the fine wouldn't apply

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter