• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

City, Sand, and Savanna - Link to new trip report

Thanks to a nasty cold I managed to get infected with during the first real nice summer days in Berlin this year :sick:

Summer colds are no fun! :sad2:

but which hopefully did not impact my Judy sighting abilities, I finally have some time for the Dis and right on time…

Yes! I see that you passed a certain Magdalene. ;)

Well the last day is never a good day, but I think you made the most of it. Especially by buying the picture! I think it's wonderful how well your plans played out for spending a lot of time together with three generations without forcing anyone too much to speed up or slow down. It seems like you hit a good balance between splitting up and staying together. I think that is an important basis for successful family vacation. Not that I have any experience with three generation vacations, but it applies to two generations and involved in laws as well :)

Thanks Katharina. You're making me think back on it and yes, I was a little worried about everyone's different paces back when I was doing the trip planning. But it worked out okay -- the kids went off on their own a good bit of the time and Judy and I mosey'd around with my parents.

You really need to get your priorities straight! :lmao:

:rotfl2::rotfl2: Thanks for setting me straight Jill! :)

Aww geez Glenn... you totally got me teared up here reading about your mom's hug and what that moment represented. It's sad but joyous at the same time that you had this amazing experience all together. It really puts it all into perspective. Cherish the moments. :goodvibes

Thanks Rob! It's so hard to get emotion out of you. ;) :laughing: :goodvibes

OK that encounter with the woman who shared your epic bus ride. The connectons we make on these Disney trips. :laughing:

That's the best, isn't it?! Some of the best interactions are with other guests on the bus or waiting in a line somewhere.

Wow, that is a lovely photo of the whole fam togther from the Luau. I think getting it was a wise choice. But I need to get on Disney Merchandising. They have so many missed opportunities, it's scary.

Thank you. I liked it when they showed it to me at the meal, but thought it was too expensive (it kind of irks me that they don't give it to you as part of a Photopass purchase), but when I remembered that I never know what to get for my parents for Christmas, it was a no-brainer.

Now that is a great finale there Glenn, seeing the Luau picture presented. But honestly, despite the fact that it's been running almost 2 years, I'm still terribly sad to see it ending.

Well, it didn't have to be 2 years for that picture -- that was taken Christmas of 2012!!! :rotfl2:

Thanks Rob! :goodvibes

Well that was a tear jerker, Glenn! Thanks for sharing such a special time with us.

Thanks Cathy! And :welcome: I think you posted on earlier reports, and I'm glad to know that you stuck with me through this one!

I stumbled across your trip report a few days ago, and just now finished reading it, which, I realize now was pretty good timing.

That was GREAT timing! I made everybody else pace themselves. ;) :welcome: dreamit!

I just had to stop in to share how entertained I was by your report. You have a lovely family, and it's great that you were able to partake in your parents' anniversary celebration in such a special way. I'm going to go back now and read your 2010 report!

Thank you so much for the kind words! I'm glad that you enjoyed it.

I hope you enjoy the 2010 report too. There are a couple of mini flashback reports in the PTR also, btw. :goodvibes It's kind of funny, my oldest daughter Lauren has read my trip reports, but out of order. She said that my first one wasn't like the others -- more informative than humorous. I said that I just needed some time to find my voice!

What a great TR! One of my all time favorites :thumbsup2 Loved the Luau picture - the frame was perfect!

Wow, thanks! You made my day, heaven2dc!

I think I ended up getting the frame at Target.

That's a wonderful picture of your family! It came out great, and I'm glad you were able to rescue it before it was deleted.

Thanks Jenn. I'm glad I called about it. I think I considered waiting until I got home, figuring that they could add it to my Photopass, but that was not the case.

And so sweet that you were able to have "the moment" before you left AKL - I know departure day is never truly that fun to write about, but at least you had some storm activity to keep it interesting!

You're right, last day's don't usually make the best TR material!

Awesome report. That last update really touched a nerve for me. We are getting ready to head out with my grandparents for a week on the beach and we are trying to cherish all the time we can with them, so your story really put that into great perspective.

:welcome: cstorm65! That sounds great. Enjoy the time and make some great memories! :grouphug:

I don't know if I have every commented, but I've really enjoyed following your report. Great job!

I think this is your first post, but thanks for letting me know you've followed along...I appreciate it!

AWWWWWWWW!!!

What a sweet update!

So nice that you were all able to take this trip together. It seems like it was such a great time and really meant a lot to everyone, especially your parents.

What a perfect Christmas gift.

:goodvibes

Oh my your epic TR is concluding. You are a master storyteller so I'm glad that your TR has entertained everyone for so long. :)

I don't know why more people don't watch Wishes from the Poly beach. :confused3 Not that I'd want it as crowded as Main Street but it is a great perspective.

I completely get that moment... the moment your mom needed to embrace everything about the last week and the memories and oh my gosh, I totally understand the emotion there. You don't want it to end.

Bummer about the absence of buckwheat pancakes for Judy at IHOP.

Okay Glenn, now that I've had my cry for the morning, I can go on with my day. :goodvibes Such a great way to end your trip. I'm so glad you made the time to make this happen for your family. You will have these memories to treasure forever! I love the pic of James and Poppy out on the balcony - pocket prints and all!:rotfl: Great idea for the gift for your folks! Looks like good timing to get home after the storm instead of during it. Looking forward to your next trip. :cool1: Ours will be next May - we'll miss Camille by two days. :sad1:

Way late instead of :bride: late this time but a great wrap up. So nice to have that moment with your mom while still at Kidani and officially on vacation even though it was on the way out.

The picture is a great idea. More than just a photo in a frame it really brings back the memory of the trip and that is priceless. :goodvibes

So happy you both get to celebrate a special anniversary on HHI.
Look forward to hearing all about it.

You're right to make that guess, it coulda worked out for you. But Judy was sitting next to me...that's Lauren's arm in the picture. :goodvibes
Hey, I wasn't holding out any hope as the top in the reflection of the side view mirror seemed to come slightly over the shoulder and you can't see it in the "hot chocolate" photo, but figured I might as well give it a shot. Congrats to Katharina on her win! :thumbsup2

Yes! I see that you passed a certain Magdalene. ;)
I noticed that too! Not that there might be any sisterly competition there or anything. :rotfl:

Really great wrap up to your trip, well, outside of that whole heading home day thing! :( Looks like your timing was good that you weren't heading through that area when the big storm rolled through though! :scared1:

Such a special moment with your Mom, and glad you were able to collect yourself, I mean organize your stuff, afterwards! ;) The picture as a Christmas gift was a great idea, and it definitely looks like it was appreciated. :banana:

Great ending to your novel Glen. And what really surprises me is that you didn't even need to break this into two halves. Love it!

See how great ideas sometimes come to you in that semi-conscious period between sleep and full wakefulness. That lau picture was a smashing idea. I thought of you when Cynthia passed the lau and I went all paparazzi trying to get some fire-eating pictures. Psych! :rotfl2:

I am really looking forward to hearing about your HHI adventures. I just know you are going to love it there! :thumbsup2

I ran my idea by Judy and she agreed. After I showered, I set off making some calls to find out how I could purchase it. It was a good thing that I did, because I learned that they destroy the unpurchased digital photos within a day or so after the Luau, and that I needed to go to the Polynesian that day to complete the transaction.

It's either that, or they sell the unused photos to the NSA.

(Apparently it was that time when you start thinking "it'll be sooo long 'til I see this again...I'd better take a picture of it!"

And here I thought I was the only one who did that.

Then came what I'll call "the moment". With tears in her eyes, my Mom thanked me so sincerely for asking her and Dad to come along on our trip, and latched onto me in a big hug. We stood there for a moment, and when I went to let go, she didn't. I could tell that she didn't want to see this moment, or this trip, come to an end. Without saying it, we both knew that this was a time together that we would never be able to replicate.

This is a heavy pollen season, isn't it? Because my eyes were really irritated while I was reading this. I probably need some more Zyrtec.

She said, "Wait, I need someone to open doors and push buttons for me!"

I said, "Marlene, we all need someone like that in our lives."

:rotfl2:

I thought Dads were there precisely for pushing everyone's buttons.

Also just like the trip down a week+ earlier[/URL], Marlene asked me to let her access her duffel bag in the cartop carrier because she'd forgotten to pack any pajamas in her overnight bag. :headache: (Prayer for these kids' future spouses would be much appreciated.)

:sad2: :headache:

We left IHOP at 10 and made our final push for home, another 4 and half hours of driving. Judy took a picture of this road sign which had blown down, somewhere near D.C. Yes, some nasty storms.

I'm sure the storms were still the DOT's fault somehow.

And since I've taken my time in recounting this story, I have the good fortune to post a picture of Gram and Poppy opening the Luau picture that following Christmas.

All together now: Awwwww!

At long last, after a week at DisneyWorld (and nearly 2 years in recounting the story)
Only 2 years? Really? :lmao:

And this was the worst kind of last morning because there would be no park visits before heading home, just packing up and hitting the road. Blech. :crazy2:
Yeah... that's painful. But I guess it is kind of like ripping the band aid off quickly. Just get it over with and go.

So, the morning's plan was set: get up, pack up, and detour by the Poly before leaving WDW property.
Well, it isn't a park, but a detour by the Poly is something to at least drag out the Disney magic just a little bit longer.

Apparently it was that time when you start thinking "it'll be sooo long 'til I see this again...I'd better take a picture of it!"
I totally get that... :sad1:

(a fact that she liked to tell random strangers at Disney during our trip – "we used to bring them, and now they're bringing us!")
:thumbsup2

Then came what I'll call "the moment". With tears in her eyes, my Mom thanked me so sincerely for asking her and Dad to come along on our trip, and latched onto me in a big hug. We stood there for a moment, and when I went to let go, she didn't. I could tell that she didn't want to see this moment, or this trip, come to an end. Without saying it, we both knew that this was a time together that we would never be able to replicate. Oh, we'll have visits and family holidays, but we'll probably never have an extended vacation together like this again. She and Dad are having more trouble getting around as their bodies age. And our kids, well they're growing up. I retreated to my bedroom to finish organizing my stuff, but really I just needed a moment to make sure that my eyes weren't misty before rejoining the family in staging our luggage to carry down to the van.
Glenn, I'm glad that you were able to take this trip. It clearly means so much to you, and your mom. But I'm sure it meant just as much to everyone else. Your kids will be grateful for this trip when they think about it years later. As if they aren't already grateful for it now.

We made a last once-over of the suite, to check for any missed any items. "Soak it in, Lauren. We've gotta go".
I hate that part of the trip. I always tend to linger longer than I should. :sad2:

I went down to the gift shop and Judy and I looked for a Polynesian-themed frame, but they didn't have any that would fit our Luau picture! Missed opportunity there, Disney.
You know, they seem to have all kinds of random crap in the gift shops, but they never have that one thing that you're actually looking for!

Also just like the trip down a week+ earlier[/URL], Marlene asked me to let her access her duffel bag in the cartop carrier because she'd forgotten to pack any pajamas in her overnight bag. :headache: (Prayer for these kids' future spouses would be much appreciated.)
:rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

They loved it, of course. Or maybe Gram's just happy that it isn't another flannel shirt for Poppy.
:thumbsup2

I think it could be a little bit of both though.:rotfl2:

She had her chance, she's back since Sunday….

What a great quote: "She had her chance". :rotfl2:

AWWWWWWWW!!!

;)

What a sweet update!

So nice that you were all able to take this trip together. It seems like it was such a great time and really meant a lot to everyone, especially your parents.

Thanks Dee. It was a great trip; good together-time! :grouphug: And won't be soon forgotten.

What a perfect Christmas gift.

I never know what to get them, and this idea literally "dawned" on me. Dang, now I come up with the pun! :headache:

Oh my your epic TR is concluding. You are a master storyteller so I'm glad that your TR has entertained everyone for so long. :)

Thank you Brenda! I don't know about all that, but thanks for the kind words.
smiley_loveshy.gif

I don't know why more people don't watch Wishes from the Poly beach. :confused3 Not that I'd want it as crowded as Main Street but it is a great perspective.

My favorite is still Main Street, but like you said, the Poly Beach is a great perspective. (And has lots of personal space!)

I completely get that moment... the moment your mom needed to embrace everything about the last week and the memories and oh my gosh, I totally understand the emotion there. You don't want it to end.

You don't want any Disney trip to end, but this one particularly so. It was special.

Bummer about the absence of buckwheat pancakes for Judy at IHOP.

I wonder how many years they've been gone? Probably a lot! :rotfl2:

Okay Glenn, now that I've had my cry for the morning, I can go on with my day. :goodvibes

:laughing: You know us trip report writers -- love to swing your emotions around. ;)

Such a great way to end your trip. I'm so glad you made the time to make this happen for your family. You will have these memories to treasure forever!

Thanks, me too. It was a little bit difficult, with the different paces people could go, but we made it work pretty well I think.

I love the pic of James and Poppy out on the balcony - pocket prints and all!:rotfl:

A little "guy time", enjoying the savanna.

Great idea for the gift for your folks!

I'm glad that I thought of it before it was too late!

Looks like good timing to get home after the storm instead of during it.

Yeah, I could've had more trip report stories, but the kind that you don't really want!

Looking forward to your next trip. :cool1: Ours will be next May - we'll miss Camille by two days. :sad1:

Thank you. We'll see, I may do something short and sweet :rolleyes2 on Hilton Head. There aren't a lot of trip reports out there. I'll have to see what adventures happen! It might just be a report of my tanning progress. :rotfl2:

Oh, bummer that you'll miss Camille! :headache:

Way late instead of :bride: late this time but a great wrap up.

It's not as frustrating as missing it by one person, is it?

So nice to have that moment with your mom while still at Kidani and officially on vacation even though it was on the way out.

Yes, it let me know how much it meant to her.

The picture is a great idea. More than just a photo in a frame it really brings back the memory of the trip and that is priceless. :goodvibes

Yep! Memories of a great time. :goodvibes

So happy you both get to celebrate a special anniversary on HHI.
Look forward to hearing all about it.

Thanks Pat!

Hey, I wasn't holding out any hope as the top in the reflection of the side view mirror seemed to come slightly over the shoulder and you can't see it in the "hot chocolate" photo, but figured I might as well give it a shot. Congrats to Katharina on her win! :thumbsup2

I noticed that also, and I thought about going into all of that in my reply to you, but I figured I'd just let Marv do it. :laughing:

I noticed that too! Not that there might be any sisterly competition there or anything. :rotfl:

Maybe just a tad.

Really great wrap up to your trip, well, outside of that whole heading home day thing! :( Looks like your timing was good that you weren't heading through that area when the big storm rolled through though! :scared1:

I don't know what it was with the late-June weather that year. Vero was a little rough, TS Debby doused our first couple of days at the World, and then that storm. Crazy.

Such a special moment with your Mom, and glad you were able to collect yourself, I mean organize your stuff, afterwards! ;) The picture as a Christmas gift was a great idea, and it definitely looks like it was appreciated. :banana:

I really wanted her to get to see Animal Kingdom Lodge again, after they'd brought us there in 2001. But the trip meant a whole lot to her than just that, obviously.

Awww, I feel the same way about my readers. :)

And yes, I am one in the same. ::yes::

Great! I see that you're following me now. :hyper: I requested to follow you.

Great ending to your novel Glen.

A great start would've been: "It was a dark and stormy night..." 'cause quite often, it was!

And what really surprises me is that you didn't even need to break this into two halves. Love it!

I think I have about as many chapters in this one was the last, but we didn't have as much jibber-jabber in-between so the post count isn't nearly as high. That's okay, I don't know that people want to read something that takes 2 threads....that seems like a major time investment!

See how great ideas sometimes come to you in that semi-conscious period between sleep and full wakefulness.

Yes, and I wish I was there right now! :laughing:

That lau picture was a smashing idea. I thought of you when Cynthia passed the lau and I went all paparazzi trying to get some fire-eating pictures. Psych! :rotfl2:

Nice! :rotfl2: Thanks.

I am really looking forward to hearing about your HHI adventures. I just know you are going to love it there! :thumbsup2

I am really looking forward to it!

It's either that, or they sell the unused photos to the NSA.

I never thought of that. I could probably just get my pictures from Snowden. :laughing:

And here I thought I was the only one who did that.

I think it came about with digital phtoography. Remember back when you had film and only had 12 or 24 exposures? Man, I pre-screened a lot of shots to make sure they were "worthy"! :rotfl2:

This is a heavy pollen season, isn't it? Because my eyes were really irritated while I was reading this. I probably need some more Zyrtec.

Yes it is. Another reason I dragged this TR out, needed to hit pollen season.

:rotfl2:

I thought Dads were there precisely for pushing everyone's buttons.

Who does that? :rolleyes:

I'm sure the storms were still the DOT's fault somehow.

I think you posted this before the whole I-495 bridge thing, and I wasn't sure what I'd say in reply. But now I can complain that detoured traffic is messing up my commute! Seriously though, it must be crazy at Del-DOT these days.

All together now: Awwwww!

Only 2 years? Really? :lmao:

I know, it seems like only yesterday!

Yeah... that's painful. But I guess it is kind of like ripping the band aid off quickly. Just get it over with and go.

At least we didn't have to go through MCO, where you see people skipping their way out of the terminal on their way to start their vaca.

Well, it isn't a park, but a detour by the Poly is something to at least drag out the Disney magic just a little bit longer.

That did help! ::yes::

I totally get that... :sad1:

It seems to happen every trip.

Glenn, I'm glad that you were able to take this trip. It clearly means so much to you, and your mom. But I'm sure it meant just as much to everyone else. Your kids will be grateful for this trip when they think about it years later. As if they aren't already grateful for it now.

Thanks Andy. I agree, I think the kids'll remember this trip for a long time. I know Judy still talks about being in MK with her grandmother back around the same age.

I hate that part of the trip. I always tend to linger longer than I should. :sad2:

Very hard not to. And then Housekeeping starts coming around to see if you've cleared out yet. :headache:

You know, they seem to have all kinds of random crap in the gift shops, but they never have that one thing that you're actually looking for!

I think it's mostly about the impulse buy, which is easy to do at Disney.

I think it could be a little bit of both though.:rotfl2:

I think you're right! :laughing:

I think it came about with digital phtoography. Remember back when you had film and only had 12 or 24 exposures? Man, I pre-screened a lot of shots to make sure they were "worthy"! :rotfl2:

I do remember this! I had to save enough shots on the roll to last the trip, and if I was going to take a photo, it had to be really worthy! Digital really revolutionized photography.

I think you posted this before the whole I-495 bridge thing, and I wasn't sure what I'd say in reply. But now I can complain that detoured traffic is messing up my commute! Seriously though, it must be crazy at Del-DOT these days.

These last couple of days have been nuts. I manage our survey crews and we've been pulled in 20 different directions. We had to drop everything and get up there, and now everybody needs all of the information we can gather yesterday. :scared:

These last couple of days have been nuts. I manage our survey crews and we've been pulled in 20 different directions. We had to drop everything and get up there, and now everybody needs all of the information we can gather yesterday. :scared:

In a totally different area, but I know what you mean. My update at staff meeting this afternoon was I don't think I have been this still for this long in a few weeks. :lmao: I had to dip into my office quick to change something after training and before a meeting and got 4-6 things dumped on me when my staff found me "in" :crazy2: To get done in 10 min before I had to run back out.

I done gone and done it- I read the whole thing, all the way up to the sappy, er... poignant end. Such a bummer it's come to its natural end. But hey, that just means you've made margin in your life for another TR, right? RIGHT!?

I gotta be honest, it's difficult to read all about others' trips and have none on the horizon for us for a long while yet. But, the good news is that slowly but surely I'm paving the way for more regular forays into my Place of Happy.

Those sweet moments of memory making are what it's all about, and I'm so glad you've let us into that special moment, even just a little. :goodvibes

Peace, my friend. :wave2:

I am slowly managing to get caught up with my subscription here on the DIS. I am sad to see your trip report ending, it was wonderful to follow along!

I loved the ending, it seems that you were able to have some wonderful moments shared with three generations that will live on as precious memories for all of you!

I hope your next trip with Judy will be magical as well! And I hope we will get a trip report about your adventures in Hilton Head! I would love to stay there some time in the future and am interested in reading all about it, just as I loved the Vero Beach portion in this trip report.

Glen, sorry I missed the update. You posted it the day I left for Disney for my girls' trip for nine days and I'm just getting around to getting caught up (I started my TR if you want to pop in...the link is in my signature).

I had no warning and no where to hide when you posted about your mom and you having to leave the room to be sure you weren't misty eyed. I was and am. Such a sweet, sweet moment for you and your Mom. :hug:

I'm glad you made it home safely with all of those storms.

I love the photo you got your parents and so happy they had not yet destroyed it. It is a great memento of a very special trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter