• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Christmas vacation to Maine and PEI? ETA Philadelphia???

darnheather

DIS Veteran
I've wanted to go away for Christmas for years. Last year my youngest and I went on a quick cruise. Last night DH said, let's go on vacation for Christmas. My jaw was on the floor lol. So we bounced around a few ideas, but it has been a life dream of mine to go to Maine (funny I know considering I've traveled the world) and all three of us love Anne of Green Gables.

Would it be weird to travel to these places in winter? If you've been what are your must see/dos.

Last edited:
I've wanted to go away for Christmas for years. Last year my youngest and I went on a quick cruise. Last night DH said, let's go on vacation for Christmas. My jaw was on the floor lol. So we bounced around a few ideas, but it has been a life dream of mine to go to Maine (funny I know considering I've traveled the world) and all three of us love Anne of Green Gables.

Would it be weird to travel to these places in winter? If you've been what are your must see/dos.
Some of the tourist sites on PEI close during the winter months. It would be a good idea to double check the sites you want to see to ensure they will be open. Some restaurants and hotels also operate seasonally. My sister and BIL visited in May and loved it during that time of year. They were doing a road trip through eastern Canada, so they did not visit Maine.

I would like to visit Montreal in the winter myself, but it’s a long drive from Florida and I haven’t driven in snow for a long time now. I still think it would be pretty in the snow though.

Some of the tourist sites on PEI close during the winter months. It would be a good idea to double check the sites you want to see to ensure they will be open. Some restaurants and hotels also operate seasonally. My sister and BIL visited in May and loved it during that time of year. They were doing a road trip through eastern Canada, so they did not visit Maine.

I would like to visit Montreal in the winter myself, but it’s a long drive from Florida and I haven’t driven in snow for a long time now. I still think it would be pretty in the snow though.
I would second this for Maine too. A lot of the places close in the winter so you'd want to check their seasonal hours when planning. Also to note, it gets dark early up there in the winter. May not be a big deal but it may impact the places you can go to sightsee.

Background - used to live in Maine and I currently live in New Hampshire and have visited PEI. Maine can be beautiful at Christmas time but can also be treacherous with storms and such. I believe a lot of PEI will be closed. Honestly I would not got in December. Maybe early Fall.

I’ve done it in the fall. December you are taking a chance.

Background - used to live in Maine and I currently live in New Hampshire and have visited PEI. Maine can be beautiful at Christmas time but can also be treacherous with storms and such. I believe a lot of PEI will be closed. Honestly I would not got in December. Maybe early Fall.
I think the majority of touristy things close by Labour Day. I've also been to PEI in September and almost everything was closed for the season.

OP: If you want a fun Canadian maritime experience, try Halifax instead?

As has been mentioned before, PEI literally shuts down in the Winter.All the touristy places are closed. My in-laws use to own a B&B there many years ago. . When went to visit them in early November and it was dead.

I think the majority of touristy things close by Labour Day. I've also been to PEI in September and almost everything was closed for the season.

that is what I thought as well.

Many hotels in Maine are seasonal, and lots of places are closed- it's winter!- especially if you were going to the more scenic, beach or park areas instead of sticking to Portland/Bangor. Also, storms might impact your travel. We have a decent amount of snow up here. Several times we have had to cancel flights out of Portland (we are in Bangor but have tons of SW points, and they only fly from PWM) because of snowfall/storms at the last minute. It stinks to have to cancel your vacation because you can't make the 2 hour drive to Portland because of the weather/road conditions!

I live in New England. I agree with the advice above about checking to see what is open in December. Are you comfortable driving in the snow? If you are and what you want to do is open I’d go for it. I love Maine and think it’s beautiful snow covered.

Oh bummer. PEI is the attraction in itself because of Anne.

I hope not everything will be closed. We're going to be on a cruise from Boston to Quebec in September with an excursion to PEI on September 18th.

Snow sports spots are usually bubbling in the winter so I'd aim for those spots areas in Maine, they still have lots of people . Not sure about PEI, although I adore Cape Cod in the winter, there is something so much more lovely about the rugged beauty of winter to me. There are always locals keeping some places going year round. Some people rent out their amazing ski cabins in the winter for a steal.

Yes, if you are into snow shoeing, skiing, snow mobiles, etc., there are some great things to do in Maine in the winter. You could rent a cabin somewhere and spend the week. I never think of this as a "vacation" activity but you surely could do this, although I didn't get that impression from your post. The mountains in western Maine have decent ski resorts and there is a lot of winter sports activity in Greenville, Millinocket, Moosehead Lake, etc. We just aren't winter sports people; I am the person drinking coffee (or brandy), reading in the lodge by the fire while everyone else is out skiing!

Definitely do some research about the specific areas you want to visit to see what will be open. Green Gables Heritage Place is only open through October. I think the Anne of Green Gables Museum might be open all year, but not sure (it's not, see link posted by E&Cmom.) I have only been in the summer.
ETA: Green Gables is absolutely worth it if you can go in season. I'm a huge Anne fan, and was visiting PEI for family reasons, but made sure to carve out time for this.

For Maine, it really depends on where you're going. I live in a coastal southern Maine town that shuts down in the winter. I think two restaurants stayed open last year (and only a few days a week) and one store stayed open on weekends until Christmas Eve and then closed for the season; the rest closed sometime around Indigenous People's Day. I'm sure the ski and other winter sport destinations might have more available that time of year, but keep in mind some are not easy to get to if the snow is bad already.

Last year, we had a big coastal storm right before Christmas that knocked out power to a of southern Maine and washed out some roads. And this is the milder winter area of the state.

That said, I have spent Christmas in the Camden area and remember quite a bit being open and having a wonderful, but it has been years, so that may have changed (and that trip was visiting family, so most activities were not out and about.)

Last edited:
Unless you want to ski save Maine for May to Columbus Day in October. Otherwise you will find most things closed including hotels. It’s cold, dark and miserable in winter (sorry).

I've been to Maine in winter (DS went to college there for a while). It is very pretty, but I agree with the others, a lot shuts down.

I've never been to PEI, but as a fellow Anne fan, I definitely picture it in the summer.

Thanks everyone. Now I'm thinking just a couple of days in Maine for Christmas Eve, and day in a cozy bed and breakfast then Philadelphia for several days as it is midway between home and Maine. Thoughts? Yes I know it will probably cold, bleak, grey, etc, but I've never been and next summer is totally booked.

Otherwise ideas that we can drive from Virginia? DH mentioned Charlestown (?) South Carolina.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter