Christmas Holiday 2020 Gift Idea Thread for College Students

scottmel

<font color=darkorchid>Does my logic in my origina
I usually start a thread like this yearly. I searched in case there was another out there and couldn't find one. YES it is early but I like to plan ahead! DD21 in Senior Year (more years left to go though!). Love to collect ideas from others.

Last year I purchased her AWAY LUGGAGE to which she really liked. So this year I got a companion piece . They NEVER have sales and had their first ever. I got The Everywhere bag and the mini too. Highly recommend. I love this luggage!

I also thought of DoorDash pass for free delivery but I pay for the dining plan so I hate promoting that, lol! She is very into music, classic nintendo, her PHONE. She loved working out prior to COVID.

Looking forward to hearing what others have.

Our DD17's birthday is a few days before Christmas. For her 18th I ordered a t-shirt quilt. I've been saving special shirts since she was little. I've packed them up and mailed them off for this company to make into a quilt...

https://www.toocooltshirtquilts.com/

Thanks for the link! I have been saving college sorority tshirts and wanted to do this at some point. Great idea! thanks!

My 12th grader, who has an aunt that gave her a monthly cosmetic/beauty bag subscription when she was 12 which went unused but kept, has now started using those products (which are still somehow good after 5 years) and wants another subscription to try different things, so I'll need to see what's around:)...

When my DD was in college, one year, we filled her stocking with fifty $1 bills. My husband and I felt that she was too tight with her money, And she needed to loosen up a bit, especially when a couple of friends would go in on a pizza, or out to Starbucks. We did ones, so that change would be easier or a non-issue in group purchases.

She loved this present!

Both my college kids are getting cash, it's really what they need most.
I do have a Globein subscription and have picked some things out of my boxes to give to my dd for her apartment. I may get her her own subscription or a GC to ten thousand villages.
My ds has a small room in a furnished townhouse so no place or need for household items.
He goes to school in a pretty small town with a couple fast food places so I'll probably get some GC's for that or for gas.

I gave triplets who are seniors in high school. 2 of them will probably go away to college and live in the dorms next year.

For Christmas I am buying bath towels, throw blankets, and a few other basics for dorm living, hoping this helps a little on the cost all at once next summer.

Both my college kids are getting cash, it's really what they need most.
I do have a Globein subscription and have picked some things out of my boxes to give to my dd for her apartment. I may get her her own subscription or a GC to ten thousand villages.
My ds has a small room in a furnished townhouse so no place or need for household items.
He goes to school in a pretty small town with a couple fast food places so I'll probably get some GC's for that or for gas.
I've been curious about Globein. It appears when you sign up you pick which box you want. Is that the only time you have a choice or do you select what you want from the options every month?

if you shop ahead of christmas then now is the time to do this if you want to give it a try-

when dd was in college and running between classes and work study she like to have small snacky stuff she could carry in her backpack so i took to taking advantage of the small halloween treat sized/individually bagged items i knew she liked to give as a christmas present. small bags of fruit treats, pretzels and cheesy balls...in fact i just got an order from walmart the other day that included 2-25 packs of chocolate covered pretzels to set aside for one of her gifts (great value as well-only ran me about $12 in total).

i know that costco gift cards are appreciated as well (you don't need a membership to shop if you go with a gift card in hand).

I have already asked both my college kids for Christmas lists... so waiting to see what they have on those. It gets harder to shop for them. I did the T-Shirt Quilts when they graduated from high school. Found a lady on Etsy - had also been saving their shirts since T-Ball at 4 years old. They turned out great.

Each year I do stock up on various gift cards to use at College. (Chipotle, Noodles. Buffalo Wild Wings, Applebees, Amazon, DoorDash etc). One year I put them in a small photo album and alternated with cash and scratch off tickets. Another year I found these big Christmas Trees to hold Christmas cards and put the different gift cards in there. I know it is definitely something they will use and I can start stocking up on them now.

My 12th grader, who has an aunt that gave her a monthly cosmetic/beauty bag subscription when she was 12 which went unused but kept, has now started using those products (which are still somehow good after 5 years) and wants another subscription to try different things, so I'll need to see what's around:)...
My youngest would love that -- my oldest would hate it.
When my DD was in college, one year, we filled her stocking with fifty $1 bills.
That's a very cool gift.
For Christmas I am buying bath towels, throw blankets, and a few other basics for dorm living, hoping this helps a little on the cost all at once next summer.
That's what I gave my kids when they were seniors in high school - they loved it, and those things were really used. Consider "gifting them" in plastic milk crates, which can be used for transporting items /can become stackable storage in the dorms.
i know that costco gift cards are appreciated as well (you don't need a membership to shop if you go with a gift card in hand).
I did not know that. Where can you buy a Costco gift card? (Obviously, aside from Costco.)

I did not know that. Where can you buy a Costco gift card? (Obviously, aside from Costco.)

so far as i know-only at costco or on-line (though you can choose the address you want one to go to so if you don't have a costco membership but a friend does they could either pick it up or have it mailed to you).

[

Milk crates are a great idea.
Thanks.....

QUOTE="MrsPete, post: 62320817, member: 35323"]
My youngest would love that -- my oldest would hate it.
That's a very cool gift.
That's what I gave my kids when they were seniors in high school - they loved it, and those things were really used. Consider "gifting them" in plastic milk crates, which can be used for transporting items /can become stackable storage in the dorms.
[/QUOTE]

If you have a HS senior I suggest picking up the blue Ikea zip Fraka bags. They are amazing, cheap, and make move in a snap. Fill one up with twin XL bedding, new towels, etc and put a bow on top. All set! Buy several bags and then several more if you have a DD who has too much stuff like mine.

If you have a HS senior I suggest picking up the blue Ikea zip Fraka bags. They are amazing, cheap, and make move in a snap. Fill one up with twin XL bedding, new towels, etc and put a bow on top. All set! Buy several bags and then several more if you have a DD who has too much stuff like mine.

The blue Ikea bags are the bomb for dorm moving. I think we have about 10 of a combo of the zip ones and the open ones. The zip ones are great for hanging stuff, just leave the hangers out the zipper end. The open ones are great for shoes. Also have the big clear see through one that is great for bedding. We used them all with DD, I think DS only used one of them. lol He was soooooo much easier to move in then his sisters. DH kept asking both when loading the car for DS then unloading, is that everything? We took 2 trips for his sister. Luckily she has storage near her campus so we do not bring everything home.

No kids in College here at my house any more... When I had them

Gift Cards - to their favorite places - for food and necessities - Fast food, Wal-mart, Target, Grocery store...

Uber or Lyft - adding money to a credit card that is connected... college kids are going to partake... this is a safe way to make sure that they get home safely...

Basic's - Sheets, Blankets, pillows, Towels...

So thinking back for DD - came across these hair wraps kinda towels, I have them for travel so I put some in her stocking and she loved them.
travel mirror, backpack, different sizes of zippered bags for her to keep her "stuff" in, roll of quarters for the laundry machines, travel mugs or cups with her name on it, or initials...

I thought of a few more things and added them today, 9/21...
I made a first aid kit, with band-aids, neosporin, vitamins, Tylenol, travel size alcohol and peroxide, cough drops, thera-flu and Robitussin, sinus/allergy tabs, cotton balls, and Q-tips... I hit up the travel size sections and was able to make a pretty good kit...It all fit into a plastic container about the size of a shoe box... When she was home, I would re-fill it...or mail her odd and ends...

Security Safe,- you can buy one for around 100 bucks, like the ones you find in a hotel room. You can get styles that open by - finger print, combo's, or keys... or all three... So that they can secure valuables... lap tops, phones, Credit cards, important paper, wallet, jewelry... they can be secured to a bed frame, so that someone doesn't walk off with the whole safe...

She also got a wallet for RFID protection, and the cards you can use in whatever wallet to protect the credit cards ( Travel-on has them) ... We have given wallets with the RFID protection with cash in them graduation gifts... and they were very well received and appreciated...

AAA membership - even if they are not taking a car, if they are in a car that breaks down, they can get a tow, or a jump with a dead battery or whatever... another safety measure...

We gave DD a emergency CC, to use only in a emergency... She had to pay the co-pay up front for a ER visit for strep throat - hotel room on 2 or 3 occasions, when she was trying to get home...and a flight when she need to come home for a death in the family... She did really well with it and never put anything on it that was not an emergency...

Depending on what type of housing that your son or daughter will be in... basic kitchen items, measuring cups and spoons, mixing bowls, pot holders, kitchen towels... dollar tree is the best place for this type of stuff... even if they only have access to a microwave - paper plates, and bowls, plastic forks and spoons, pot holders, will come in handy...

Last edited:
Last year, I sent my younger cousins in college a box with small holiday decorations. They love string lights for the dorm room. Snowmen coffee mugs, Christmas music CD, Christmas socks, a decoration for the door. I often get pumpkins, valentine decorations, etc from rite aid and Walgreens on sale

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter