Christmas Holiday 2020 Gift Idea Thread for College Students

I usually start a thread like this yearly. I searched in case there was another out there and couldn't find one. YES it is early but I like to plan ahead! DD21 in Senior Year (more years left to go though!). Love to collect ideas from others.

Last year I purchased her AWAY LUGGAGE to which she really liked. So this year I got a companion piece . They NEVER have sales and had their first ever. I got The Everywhere bag and the mini too. Highly recommend. I love this luggage!

I also thought of DoorDash pass for free delivery but I pay for the dining plan so I hate promoting that, lol! She is very into music, classic nintendo, her PHONE. She loved working out prior to COVID.

Looking forward to hearing what others have.
My son is in his senior year and has the door dash pass. He loves it. He lives in his own apartment so no dining plan. But when he lived in the dorms he had a flex option with extra spending money for dining. He used it because dining halls had limited hours, he had a late class, etc.

My daughter is a sophomore in college and here is what she is getting:

Moon Pal (her request :) )
Jeans
Wonderboom speaker
Feat hoodie
Apple Watch 6
Wireless Apple Watch and phone charger (combo unit)
Himalayan salt lamp

Her requests: gift cards to local restaurants in her college town, gift cards to Meijer, Target, & Walmart

Stocking: Airfly adapter; "Hamiltones" Hamilton color pencils; lucky shamrock necklace; screen cleaner; treats

Last edited:

I have 2 in college.

be careful about buying dorm stuff now. Towels can be as cheap as $2 in July. Or better yet free if you give them old ones from the house. Some college dorm rooms restrict microwaves/fridge and other appliances. It would be a shame to buy things in December and not be able to use/return them in September.

Things I’m buying (or bought the older college student)...

A cooler for cold drinks and snacks on road trips (one lives 4 hours away, and by the beach)

Apple Watch

Lighted makeup mirror

pre-paid Toll tag for their car

long phone charger

Erin Condren planner

Rocketbook

And I just ask for lists at this age. My oldest is a theology major with a long wish lists of books so I surprise her with a few. My youngest is a crafter... currently crocheting an Afghan with her 3 roommates. Not stuff on a generic “shop for college students list”. Just listening out for things they’d truly enjoy.
They send big lists, and get a few things on the list, hence the surprise.

THanks for the ideas! My daughter never makes a list just says SURPRISE ME. To be honest I am an excellent gift giver - I really take an interest etc. and find a unique spin on it. There was some show she like Victorious and the main actress she loved her wardrobe. I found someone on line that was able to copy the style and found these clothes on various sites. Huge surprise for her that I duplicated several outfits. She loved that.

I always say every year I am stumped and things hit me in November but geez I hate waiting like that! AWAY LUGGAGE which is the best luggage out there had their first ever sale and I picked up a few more pieces there...but that is more practical than surprise...

DD20 is getting mostly stuff for a future apartment. She goes to the local university, so she lived at home even before Covid, but with all online classes most of last semester, this semester and next semester (already announced), and her campus job gone until classes are back on campus, she is around the house much more than before, and we are pretty sick of each other. Looking at her future apartment stash gives her hope for the future LOL

Last edited:
I finally got the Christmas Lists from my kids yesterday - told them I was shopping early this year. So besides $$ this year -should be able to finish up here soon. DD19 has a good list - ordered her some Doc Martens she had on there . DS21's list is not as detailed so will be able to get everything on his list. Ordered the Apple Pencil from Target yesterday and picked that up. Also picked up a few gift cards - I usually give them a bunch of those too for dining/shopping etc.

If you have a HS senior I suggest picking up the blue Ikea zip Fraka bags.
Those look amazing, and the open-top variety are surprisingly affordable.

Another stocking stuffer idea: I bought this Command stick-on phone caddy for each of my daughters; it's a perfect way to keep a cell phone (which often doubles as an alarm clock) right next to a top bunk bed. Very well designed, the hole in the bottom allows the phone to stay plugged. My girls are out of college, but I know that at least one still uses hers by her bed.

https://www.amazon.com/Command-Smar...rds=command+phone+caddy&qid=1602346958&sr=8-1

Those look amazing, and the open-top variety are surprisingly affordable.

Another stocking stuffer idea: I bought this Command stick-on phone caddy for each of my daughters; it's a perfect way to keep a cell phone (which often doubles as an alarm clock) right next to a top bunk bed. Very well designed, the hole in the bottom allows the phone to stay plugged. My girls are out of college, but I know that at least one still uses hers by her bed.

https://www.amazon.com/Command-Smar...rds=command+phone+caddy&qid=1602346958&sr=8-1
Thanks! Great idea ordering one!

I see a few of you with Apple Watch on your list....

My DD18 hasn't asked for one, but she was a faithful Fitbit user thru HS until it broke recently. Thinking of replacing with the Apple Watch, but I honestly don't know which one to buy. She has an IPhone 11.... don't they just sync up? Does it require separate phone line? I'm confused as to why some are GPS/Cellular.... what more does that get you?

I'm torn because I don't want to waste money on more than she needs since she hasn't asked for one, but I hate getting the cheapest / last years model or whatever and then it just being a disappointment. She's the type that doesn't ask for much - especially if it's expensive. (I bought her a Dooney Bourke bag for Christmas last year that I saw her looking at in WDW but she had never said a word to me about it. She cried when she opened it.)

Alternatively, she's been using the same IPad Air for years and years, so I was thinking that instead. We already had hers repaired once. The screen is cracked. She taped over it and uses it like it's no big deal. Lol. She's a good kid! But I can't do both.

@4luv2cdisney Your daughter sounds like a great young person! I am sure that she would appreciate any of those nice gifts you are talking about. I am sorry that I don't know about the Apple Watches to help you.

My DD18 hasn't asked for one, but she was a faithful Fitbit user thru HS until it broke recently. Thinking of replacing with the Apple Watch, but I honestly don't know which one to buy. She has an IPhone 11.... don't they just sync up? Does it require separate phone line? I'm confused as to why some are GPS/Cellular.... what more does that get you?

I'm torn because I don't want to waste money on more than she needs since she hasn't asked for one, but I hate getting the cheapest / last years model or whatever and then it just being a disappointment. She's the type that doesn't ask for much - especially if it's expensive. (I bought her a Dooney Bourke bag for Christmas last year that I saw her looking at in WDW but she had never said a word to me about it. She cried when she opened it.)

Alternatively, she's been using the same IPad Air for years and years, so I was thinking that instead. We already had hers repaired once. The screen is cracked. She taped over it and uses it like it's no big deal. Lol. She's a good kid! But I can't do both.
I am sure others will feel different but rethink the Apple Watch. I initially had a series I that has no phone and no cellular - I could speak in it and it operated for text messages when you are in range of your phone. I loved it. I then think to upgrade to a SEries 3 which would answer phonecalls and texts if I left my iphone at home. It acted independently. There is a 10.00 a month charge. Fast forward a year, I NEVER wear it. I had the feeling of something constantly beeping my wrist with no ability to get a break from a phone. As a mom of a 21 year old, honestly I am so sick of my kid being so ON with that phone I wouldn't be putting a watch on top of it. You never get a break. I last wore mine in Disney in March and haven't put it back on. I am over it.

I know it defeats the purpose of surprising her but I would ask her if she would prefer an AW over a Fitbit.
I was surprised my dd wanted a new fitbit to replace her old one instead of an AW.
She uses an iphone so I thought it was a no-brainer but she's said it's just easier to stay with fitbit since everything (a scale and idk what else she's talking about) is synced to her account.

I went from fitbit to AW and I love my watch and wear it every day, even just around the house. I considered the fitbit watch version but ultimately went with apple. I don't have the cellular version- which allows you to use your watch when you don't have your phone on you. You will have to pay for that service through your phone carrier.
I can get calls and texts on my non-cell version but it has to be in range of my phone.
I have the series 5 but they just came out with a series 6, I'm really not sure what the differences are.

Does anyone know what this means? DD put this on her xmas list and I don't know what a mini crew sock is or who has cute ones?

4. Cute mini crew socks (like the shorter version of crew socks but longer than ankle)

Does anyone know what this means? DD put this on her xmas list and I don't know what a mini crew sock is or who has cute ones?

4. Cute mini crew socks (like the shorter version of crew socks but longer than ankle)

Here's a boring black example at macy's. Me undies have what they call quarter that look similar in leg height and they have fun patterns but may be more than you'd want to spend. I got a pair of ankle socks when I ordered from them last month use to an amex offer and they are thicker than I'd want to wear with sneakers.

The only other place I've gotten socks close to the mini size are Target's dollar spot and while I'm ok wearing them with shoes, they are thinner than normal fun socks. They also have fun one's in the regular sock section but I think they are longer, which most of my fun socks are longer than the mini, which I also didn't know what a thing and had to google it :)

Here's a boring black example at macy's. Me undies have what they call quarter that look similar in leg height and they have fun patterns but may be more than you'd want to spend. I got a pair of ankle socks when I ordered from them last month use to an amex offer and they are thicker than I'd want to wear with sneakers.

The only other place I've gotten socks close to the mini size are Target's dollar spot and while I'm ok wearing them with shoes, they are thinner than normal fun socks. They also have fun one's in the regular sock section but I think they are longer, which most of my fun socks are longer than the mini, which I also didn't know what a thing and had to google it :)
THANK YOU! I was picturing mini crew as a short thin sock..duh! Now I see! Was hoping for some cute fun patterns but at least I know what I am lookign for now thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter