Christmas Cookies and Candies

I plan to make only three kinds of cookies this year: shortbread cookies for my oldest DD, (I don't have the recipe off the top of my head, but I remember that it's very easy), peppermint cookies, made with white cake mix, 1/2 C vegetable oil, 2 eggs, crushed peppermint candies, peppermint extract to taste. Spoon by tablespoons or cookie scoop on baking sheet and bake 12 minutes at 350 degrees. Lemon cookies: Lemon cake mix, 1/2 C vegetable oil, 2 eggs, spoon by tablespoon or cookie scoop on baking sheet and bake 12 minutes at 350 degrees.

For younger DD and her best friend's family, I make peppermint bark candy. Again, I don't have the recipe handy, but it, too, is very easy.

Queen Colleen

I need to start deciding what I’m going to make this year and get ingredients. I usually do cookie boxes for our neighbors and the secretaries at DH’s work.

This sounds brilliant! Care to share what you use for the bottom layer? I normally like coconut but with Nanaimo bars the top 2 layers are definitely superior to the bottom... I've been known to leave it behind on occasion haha!

Sorry for the slow reply. I haven't been on in a couple of days and then I was having trouble with the site when I tried yesterday.

I'm sure I could lose my Canadian citizenship over this :rotfl2:, because what I call Nanaimo bars would not be considered authentic, BUT I just use a good, fudgy brownie for the base and then put the custard layer and chocolate layer on top. I have entered these into a brownie competition one time and won first place. Of course this alters the recipe significantly, as the original Nanaimo bar recipe is no-bake, while my version takes longer, given that you want your brownies cool before you put the next two layers on.

Another thing that I do differently is use almond extract in the custard layer in place of the traditional vanilla. This really puts them over the top, IMO. Of course now that Nanaimo bars are becoming popular even outside of Canada, there are any number of variations I have seen including cherry and mocha varieties.

I don't know what the big deal about the multi-colored mini marshmallows is. I just buy them at the regular grocery store--they're right next to the white ones. I haven't gotten them in years--maybe only stores in the north have them? (I remember buying them in upstate NY--we were a couple hours from the Canadian border...). I do know it's tougher to find Fluff down South, maybe it's the same way with the marshmallows.
QUOTE].

Deep south here and we have both the colored marshmallows and the fluff. Always have. Target and Walmart carry them. Both on the aisle with the jello and the regular marshmallows. The colored ones either don't sell well or they stale easily so I don't usually buy them anymore but we used to use them at the day care. The kids liked sorting the colors for their hot chocolate.

I haven't decided on what kinds of cookies but me and the dgds will be making cookies next week! We'll have another cookie baking session closer to Christmas.

I bought a beautiful cookie stamp this year with an old world Santa design. Want to make shortbread cookies to use with that.

The girls enjoy decorating sugar cookies and they like helping make peanut butter and chocolate chip. They get bored with the process on the sugar cookies so now, I make the dough ahead have it in the fridge. They just do the rolling and the cutting and decorating

I need to start deciding what I’m going to make this year and get ingredients. I usually do cookie boxes for our neighbors and the secretaries at DH’s work.

Michael's has these tins on sale in a variety of colors. Add a ribbon or decoupage an image on to the lid and they'll have more of a holiday look:

https://www.michaels.com/white-cookie-tins-by-celebrate-it/10550170.html#q=cookie+tins&start=1

Should you want the ones that need no decoration they frequently go on sale for the week following Black Friday

Sorry for the slow reply. I haven't been on in a couple of days and then I was having trouble with the site when I tried yesterday.

I'm sure I could lose my Canadian citizenship over this :rotfl2:, because what I call Nanaimo bars would not be considered authentic, BUT I just use a good, fudgy brownie for the base and then put the custard layer and chocolate layer on top. I have entered these into a brownie competition one time and won first place. Of course this alters the recipe significantly, as the original Nanaimo bar recipe is no-bake, while my version takes longer, given that you want your brownies cool before you put the next two layers on.

Another thing that I do differently is use almond extract in the custard layer in place of the traditional vanilla. This really puts them over the top, IMO. Of course now that Nanaimo bars are becoming popular even outside of Canada, there are any number of variations I have seen including cherry and mocha varieties.

You had me until the almond extract (though, admittedly, they aren't Nanaimo bars).

I'm a Canadian in Switzerland and have made traditional Nanaimo bars for workmates a few times (some ingredients have to be imported) and always have to explain them (I don't actually work with many Swiss as I'm at an international organization, but only a couple of Canadians).

This thread is getting me ready to start holiday baking!! :thumbsup2

I always make choc chip cookies(with nuts and without), snickerdoodles, rice krispie treats(with sugared sprinkles), brownies, and peanut butter cookies. Last year I tried the blossoms and the Hershey kiss ended up missing on quite a few of them... :scratchin so back to regular this year. I also HAVE to make the rolo treats...rolo melted onto of a mini pretzel with a pecan on top. I make many, many, many batches of these because they don't last long...:laughing: Sometimes I'll make cake balls, if I have time, and sugar cookies which I always want to decorate but always run out of time...the decorating seems like too much work for something that's going to get eaten anyway. :laughing:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter