Christmas Cookies and Candies

I don't know what the big deal about the multi-colored mini marshmallows is. I just buy them at the regular grocery store--they're right next to the white ones. I haven't gotten them in years--maybe only stores in the north have them? (I remember buying them in upstate NY--we were a couple hours from the Canadian border...). I do know it's tougher to find Fluff down South, maybe it's the same way with the marshmallows.

I make a version of meringues every year--in our house, Forgotten cookies are specifically ones with mini chocolate chips and pecan pieces. And I've never actually forgotten them in the oven.

Some of our favorite Christmas cookies are;

Candy cane blossoms (like the peanut butter/Kiss cookies, but with butter cookies and peppermint Kisses)
Spritz cookies
Fudge Ecstasies
Snickerdoodles
Chocolate Oat Bars
Buckeye Bark, which is like the coated peanut butter balls, but you layer the chocolate and peanut butter mixtures so it's bark. Call it "Buckeye Balls for the Lazy"

We are traveling to WDW this year for Xmas, so I told my family I am only making their one favorite cookie this year. Normally, I make 12-15 kinds and use them for holiday entertaining. This year, MOM is being entertained at WDW, and not slaving through the holidays. Anyway, they picked, Mocha Crinkles, Peppermint Oreo Cookies, Orange Cranberry and Snickerdoodles. I will probably make Peanut Butter Kiss cookies too because I just bought a bunch of peanut butter cookie dough from a fundraiser!

This is my go to recipe for Buckeye Bark if anyone wants to try it. I usually have to make at least 4 batches of it for the holidays!

Buckeye Bark
  • 1 package candy making chocolate almond bark
  • 2 cups creamy peanut butter
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 cup powdered sugar
Instructions

1. Melt chocolate according to package directions. Pour half of melted chocolate onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Using a spatula, spread chocolate to create a large chocolate slab. Place in freezer for 10 minutes to solidify.
  2. Mix together peanut butter and vanilla then stir in powdered sugar until smooth and creamy.
  3. Spread peanut butter mixture over chilled chocolate slab to cover entirely.
  4. Pour remaining melted chocolate over top of peanut butter layer. Carefully spread to edges to completely cover peanut butter.
  5. Return to freezer for 5-10 minutes to set top layer of chocolate. Cut Bark into desired sized pieces and enjoy.
  6. Store in an air tight container. No need to refrigerate unless in a warm climate.
Notes

Chocolate almond bark comes in a variety of package sizes, usually 16-20 ounces depending on brand. Both will work fine with this recipe

I don't know what the big deal about the multi-colored mini marshmallows is. I just buy them at the regular grocery store--they're right next to the white ones. I haven't gotten them in years--maybe only stores in the north have them? (I remember buying them in upstate NY--we were a couple hours from the Canadian border...). I do know it's tougher to find Fluff down South, maybe it's the same way with the marshmallows.

I make a version of meringues every year--in our house, Forgotten cookies are specifically ones with mini chocolate chips and pecan pieces. And I've never actually forgotten them in the oven.

QUOTE]

To the bolded in red. I am in MD (some people here call it the South-lol) and we have no problems finding colored miniature marshmallows or Marshmallow Fluff!

We usually make the following cookies at Christmas time:

White Chocolate Cranberry Oatmeal - DH's favorite
Iced Sugar Cookie Cut Outs - younger DS's favorite
Orange Slice Cookies - older DS's favorite
Peanut Butter Blossoms - my favorite
White Chocolate Peppermint Blossoms - DD's favorite
Chocolate Cherry Blossoms
Raspberry Thumbprints
Gingerbread Men
Magic Squares

I used to also make chocolate chip, but I can't get my chocolate chip cookies to turn out right.

I do know it's tougher to find Fluff down South

That explains the encounter I had in a supermarket here about a month ago. Some foreign guy came up to me. There were no store clerks to be found on the floor. I guess I looked approachable. :laughing: He asked me if I knew where the Fluff was and I pointed him to the right aisle. A few minutes later, he wandered past me on the way back. He thanked me. His arms were loaded with about 5 jars of Fluff. He said he was buying all on the shelf. He was on his way to visit his nephew and they can't seem to get Fluff down there. So he was bringing it as a present for them. :yay:

To the bolded in red. I am in MD (some people here call it the South-lol)

You are below the Mason Dixon line. To us northerners, you are considered "South" to us. :teeth: ;) Nevermind that parts of NJ are along the same latitude. :ssst:

Last edited:
This is my go to recipe for Buckeye Bark if anyone wants to try it. I usually have to make at least 4 batches of it for the holidays!

Buckeye Bark
  • 1 package candy making chocolate almond bark
  • 2 cups creamy peanut butter
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 cup powdered sugar
Instructions

1. Melt chocolate according to package directions. Pour half of melted chocolate onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Using a spatula, spread chocolate to create a large chocolate slab. Place in freezer for 10 minutes to solidify.
  2. Mix together peanut butter and vanilla then stir in powdered sugar until smooth and creamy.
  3. Spread peanut butter mixture over chilled chocolate slab to cover entirely.
  4. Pour remaining melted chocolate over top of peanut butter layer. Carefully spread to edges to completely cover peanut butter.
  5. Return to freezer for 5-10 minutes to set top layer of chocolate. Cut Bark into desired sized pieces and enjoy.
  6. Store in an air tight container. No need to refrigerate unless in a warm climate.
Notes

Chocolate almond bark comes in a variety of package sizes, usually 16-20 ounces depending on brand. Both will work fine with this recipe

Drool.....

I'm just going to stop reading this thread now...I'm hungry.

confetti squares made with the multi-coloured miniature marshmallows that aren't available in the U.S., and peanut butter squares).

Our stores sell the multi-colored miniature marshmallows. My mother-in-law makes a cookie every Christmas with them. She calls it stained glass, I think. Something chocolatey with nuts around/between the mini marshmallows. I really need to get that recipe from her.

You are below the Mason Dixon line. To us northerners, you are considered "South" to us. :teeth: ;) Nevermind that parts of NJ are along the same latitude. :ssst:

But I was born and lived most of my life in MA, so I am a transplanted Northerner! lol

Our stores sell the multi-colored miniature marshmallows. My mother-in-law makes a cookie every Christmas with them. She calls it stained glass, I think. Something chocolatey with nuts around/between the mini marshmallows. I really need to get that recipe from her.

Ooh! Ooh! I know this one! We call it Rocky Road. Basically, you make fudge with s.c. milk (1 bag choc. chips, 1 14 oz. can s.c. milk, 2 TBSP margarine--melt together, stir until smooth). Then you add a bag of mini-marshmallows (white or colored) and 2 cups of salted peanuts. Stir together, pour into 9x13" pan lined with wax paper. Serves 1. This was my go-to for those "Crap! I need something for the bake sale!" moments--it takes 5 minutes to put together.

As to the North-South thing: we moved from NH to NC, 3 years ago. Every single time I say something about now living in the South, I get corrected--"We're not South! This is NORTH Carolina!" Um, compared to NH, yeah, this is the South!

For you Fluff lovers, in this house, we always thought the Price Chopper generic was better than the original Fluff--it had a touch more vanilla flavor. And I've found that Food Lion carries Fluff--they have the same parent as Hannaford, which might explain it.

This drove me crazy when I moved to Buffalo. I can't even count the number of "Oh you're from the SOUTH, huh? I can hear your accent!" small-talk comments I received. Ahhhh. It's Mid-Atlantic, my friend, and that's a Bawlmer Hon accent (though not quite as hardcore as my grandmothers had).... and now that I've been away for 12 years I noticed I finally stopped saying "Wooder". I still get fun of for words like "Altnater" (alternator) or "Tuesdie" (Tuesday). And to top it off I started saying some Buffalo hard-A type stuff, the horror... (Pajamas like strawberry jam in the middle instead of Pa-jah-mas as I previously said all my life...) So now I'm all sorts of mixed up.

To the actual original question.... I was very very close with my maternal grandmother who passed away 3 years ago. Since then I've started making a lot of Italian and Italian-American cookies at Christmas because it makes me feel like she's nearby. Every year I makes Seven Layer Rainbow cookies and almond S Cookies, and then in addition I switch it up and do a few different kinds; last year I did a lemoncillo cookie, sometimes I do ricotta cookies, etc. Then I also make some non-Italian cookies that my husband likes, usually this Nieman Marcus chocolate chip cookie, and either cutouts or white macadamia nut.

The most expensive one to make is always the rainbow cookies, and I make 2 sheets of it. But I never see them in any bakeries up here in yonder north country so it's up to me, lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter