Chicken & Waffles

That is not what chicken and waffles look like in my neck of the woods! I'm from Pa, and this has been a staple here since I can remember. We take cooked chicken breast and shred it into fine pieces, put in a pan with a can or two of cream of chicken soup and a cup of water and heat up, add some salt and pepper and pour that mixture over hot toasted soft waffles. yummy!

Gladys Knight and Ron Winan's have a chicken and waffles place here in Atlanta (possibly more than one, not sure) and it's not a bit wired. A waffle is bread and chicken is, well, protien. So if you had a waffle and eggs, you already were in the chicken's family.

Obviously none of you adventurous diners never had cold left-over pizza for breakfast in college, or a slice of cheesecake after the kids left for school.

I doubt Boatwrights will ever be really authentic-a Disney menu that invites you to suck heads just might take too much explaining, but crawfish and beer, now that's southern. Come to think of it, my daughter has a tee shirt that says Pinch Me, Peel Me, Eat Me, Louisiana Crawfish.

I think we are over-due for an "eatin" trip to New Orleans.

Okay, what else can we expect from a part of the country that invented sweet tea?

Gracious welcomes, pecan pie, Kentucky whiskey, gumbo, gentle ladies and good looking gentlemen, chldren who say "Ma'm" and "Sir", competitive college football, sprawling oak lined campuses, and come to think of it, Walt Disney World is in the South too.
Yall come back now.

To be honest most of your food sounds odd to me! Then again a lot of breakfast cereals deamed ok in the US would be classed as deserts here! :laughing:

Doesn't mean i dont like a bowl of fruit loops! :rotfl:

Hey i would try it, but with maple syrup on the side? And for that price? I will go with the other option!

Gracious welcomes, pecan pie, Kentucky whiskey, gumbo, gentle ladies and good looking gentlemen, chldren who say "Ma'm" and "Sir", competitive college football, sprawling oak lined campuses, and come to think of it, Walt Disney World is in the South too.
Yall come back now.
Okay, okay, didn't want to start up the Civil War all over again. I'm just saying there's such a thing as TOO MUCH sugar...in all meanings of the word!

I was just about to come over and say that chicken and waffles is really good, and not to terrible odd....looks like I was beat to it!

If anyone watches Alton Brown on Food Network (by far my favorite show on the channel...I know there's someone on here who has a tag about loving A.B.) he talks about this in his chicken episode (fry some more!). A nice piece of fried chicken on a good waffle (not frozen...but a good, fresh, homemade one) and good syrup. It's loverly!

I was just about to come over and say that chicken and waffles is really good, and not to terrible odd....looks like I was beat to it!

If anyone watches Alton Brown on Food Network (by far my favorite show on the channel...I know there's someone on here who has a tag about loving A.B.) he talks about this in his chicken episode (fry some more!). A nice piece of fried chicken on a good waffle (not frozen...but a good, fresh, homemade one) and good syrup. It's loverly!

That's me!

I haven't seen that episode. I'll have to keep an eye out for it

I grew up eating Popeyes, so my chicken pairings were limited to whatever they offered with a 3 piece all white spicy. I still don’t think I would’ve picked waffles over those mashed potatoes or red beans, but I'll try anything once.

Love that chicken from Popeyes!! :thumbsup2

Yall come back now.

.........and we have the highest concentration of PhDs.

That's me!

I haven't seen that episode. I'll have to keep an eye out for it

Hi Annette! It's great to see a fellow A.B. lover.

I just looked on Food Network website and the Good Eats episode ("Fry Hard 2: The Chicken (Fried)")...in which he talks about chicken and waffles...is actually being shown on Feb. 20th @ 8:30 PM, Feb. 21st @ 3:30 AM, Mar. 6th @ 11:00 PM, and Mar. 7th @ 2:00 AM. All on WDW and DLR time zone (of course!)

Touché. :laughing: And if you want to be really authentic you should use cane syrup instead of maple syrup on your waffles - or biscuits. (Funnily enough, cane syrup was developed in Louisiana - so maybe that is the origin of chicken & waffles being on the Boatwright's menu. I doubt it but you never know.)

http://www.slowfoodusa.org/ark/cane_syrup.html - you have to love google!!!!

My stepdad grows sugar cane every year and makes his own cane syrup the old fashioned way! Corey and I had the pleasure of helping with the harvesting in 2006 and our reward was a big piece of sugar cane that we gnawed on for the rest of the day!

Thank God, I'm a country girl!:cutie:

My stepdad grows sugar cane every year and makes his own cane syrup the old fashioned way! Corey and I had the pleasure of helping with the harvesting in 2006 and our reward was a big piece of sugar cane that we gnawed on for the rest of the day!

Thank God, I'm a country girl!:cutie:

OMG, Julie! I'm sure that was one of the presents that the Ingalls girls got for Christmas in the book "Little Cabin in the Big Woods"!!!! :rotfl2:

Also, my DH returned from a trip to Phoenix to see a friend and returned with a chicken and waffles experience! Lolo's Chicken n' Waffles. He says it was fried chicken and old-fashioned waffles slapped on the same plate. He even brought home a menu and a shirt.

:confused3 Then again, I put mustard on my grilled cheese sandwiches. AND I have to eat them with tomato soup. AND I also have to have pickles. So I guess I have my weird things too.

Oh trust me....this is NOT what this looked like.

I guess Kevin knows better than any of us that eats at Disney frequently that when they get it right they get it right, but when they get it wrong they get it soooo wrong and from his review of "Boat Wright's" I think this is one of those examples of when they got it wrong.

BTW, Gladys Knight and Ron Wanins have two restaurants in Atlanta and one in Washington, D.C. by the name "Chicken and Waffles".

I'm surprised that none of the podcast crew had never heard of chicken and waffles since it is traditional soul food in the south (Julie and Corey Horey) and according to Gladys Knight's website started in New York (the rest of the gang, OK, we can forgive Bob since he's not from N.Y.) in the 1930's!

That's it...I'm opening up a peanut-butter and bologna restaurant.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who was yelling at my iPod "Chicken and waffles go great together!!"

I'm in the San Francisco Bay area, about as far from the South as you can get in spirit and location and still be in the US. We have a Roscoe's Chicken & Waffles here and absolutely love it. Nothing strange about it at all. Quite delicious actually.

Now..Sweet Tea..that stuff is just nasty! ;)

I've downloaded a bunch of No Reservations episodes on iTunes and just noticed that the Los Angeles episode in Season 3 has a segment about Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles! How timely! :thumbsup2

Anthony "I like chicken and I like waffles. I just don't know if I'm an adherent. I'm troubled by it." :lmao:

OK, for anyone that wanted to watch the Good Eats episode about chicken and waffles, I think I gave you wrong information. I watched Fry Hard 2 last night and A.B. didn't mention anything about chicken and waffles.

I'm starting to think it was on the waffle episode, The Waffle Truth. I checked the Food Network schedule and it doesn't look like that episode will be airing soon. :guilty:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter