• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Chicago Cubs fans - Rebuilding Year 2023

I'm not sure I would say absolute disaster but he's not living up to my expectations (which could be incredibly wrong so take that with a grain of salt).

The team looked off from the start. I was on a call so tv was muted but I swear every time I looked up someone was dropping a ball or just not catching the ball, etc.

Those games happen but still. Ugh. Here's to tonight and a Win!
I couldn't believe ANOTHER crazy bounce in the first inning where the grass and dirt meet~ like deja vu. I was hoping Javy would be solid knowing he had the same position and starting all week, but maybe it is the opposite? Q is not that good against the Giants...confirmed. I will give it to him on his bunt tho, that was really good for a guy who is basically learning how to bat/run the bases. A little worried about Koji. He did great the night before but has been fighting stiffness in the lower right neck, and Rondon has been dealing with back stiffness. Rob Z and Tommy may be switching spots again..and with Butler on the DL Rob Z is about it. J. Wilson, I am still on the fence. Happ missing that play hurt, and it looks bad on Wilson to have Posey's scoring on his number's. However, he needs to be ON IT against the D-Backs (who just beat the Dodger's btw , and will be pumped) Speaking of Posey..not saying Jay had that ball, but that was really frustrating to see. Blach shut us down and then when their reliever came in throwing fastball's, just could not adjust. Our sloppy play does it again tho, we certainly have a knack for making lousy teams look good and we play a LOT of games to lower teams here on out. Pirates and STL just tightened the race even more and what really hurts is blowing the chance to get 2 1/2 up on the Brewers. We just keep giving them breaks , one step forward, 2 steps back. I have faith in the Professor today and JHey is gonna have himself a birthday celebration (please, please, please) KB looked like he was in pain after he scored..I am convinced he is playing on an ankle that he returned too soon on. He is just not getting power into his bat so the pinky finger has to still be an issue as well. I was happy to see Schwarb's cover the real estate for his catch last night. AAJ not used to b2b starts, lol. He will get another today, prob. These day games after late night one's can be rough when such a time zone change.
Clearly, all teams spent their off season figuring out the Cubs,while the Cubs spent the off season being World Series Champs, lol. As they should. The up side of having such a young team is the ability to only get better and better, adjust and attack. The down side is having such a cruddy Division doesn't really demand the "play up" mentality...no middle ground. Either facing great or garbage teams. Maybe they are banking too much on gaining ground these next 50 games, but I don't think Joe is too pleased with how his club is under performing.
Well, DS didn't get the 2nd W for his birthday but he DID get a second L from the Brewers...silver lining. They face Colon tonight though...back at home. So we kinda , really need this W today.

Last edited:
Well...no birthday boys today & Schwarb's starting against a lefty..Bumgartner no less. Willy playing 1st. Koji on the DL so Grimm back up. Challenge accepted. Lets get Kyle a W!
DGzOmG0XgAAPE1H.jpg

Also here are the *nick-name* jerseys player's wear this weekend~Lester, lol...I love you. He don't have time for this crap, lol.
My winner's are Lester, Jay, AAJ , JHey and Carl's Jr. Hendo for Kyle is my alternate, lol.

DGzY0BPXgAIhG84.jpg:large

Willson......why does it happen to a guy who actually still has fire in his heart?Pulled hammy, for a catcher... Just heal up Willy, and pick up next season as on fire as you were this one. When a manager has to keep playing you because no one else is hitting(Jay excluded and AAJ as he just isn't in enough), this is what happens. Which brings me to Happ. I am done with your hot dog plays. Cost the go ahead run. KB is still hurt, no way anyone can tell me otherwise. His,wrist, ankle, finger...none had the right amount of time to heal. Zobie out of gas. Well, Victor, welcome back and please pick up where you left off...I am sure the Brewers are having a kegger right now. Go Twins..take the border series!

I expect this team to step up and take the division for Willy.
See ya soon, Willy...come back stronger than before and maybe let your team use your bats while you heal.

images

ETA: STL tied for/may have just taken 2nd place

Last edited:

:sad:

It's almost like they gave everything they had last year and it is catching up to them this year.

Well I'm not throwing in the towel yet. Maybe soon but not yet.

:sad:

It's almost like they gave everything they had last year and it is catching up to them this year.

Well I'm not throwing in the towel yet. Maybe soon but not yet.
yes, it is exactly that which is why it is so hard to repeat. Only 7 of the last 16 teams have made the playoffs following their WS win. Add in turning on the jets the last half of '15 to the mix too. The adrenaline only pumps so long, but for Willy to have stepped up as he did, these guys better not drop instantly with him down. Willy sure seems like the type who would blame himself for that and may mess with his recovery even more. The team needs to play hard but granted you don't want more injuries. Everyone has the Dodgers for '17 but any team can beat another, any time. I hope to heck AZ or CO takes them down. Dodgers have been resting/DL'ing their pitchers all season long with questionable *injuries*. Robert's driving force this whole season was losing to us last year. Main focus is this team getting stronger and stronger each year. That includes mentally tho~ which a lot of them do seem checked out. I told my DS yesterday when I saw the lineup that Willy should have been off along with Rizzo and JHey. LaStella should have played 3rd and move KB to 1st. Hard to sit him when he is the only offense, absolutely..but now they have to figure it out a lot longer than one game. I am just hoping like heck no tear to his hamstring. I don't think it is but that guy is so tough, it is possible and he just didn't show it. Best outcome? He didn't stretch properly knowing he wasn't catching and cramp but that is really gong out on a limb.
Well, still in first but isn't it just like the Dirty Birds to return over the injured. No towel being thrown here either..like I said, I expect the Cubs to take the Division.

Last edited:
yes, it is exactly that which is why it is so hard to repeat. Only 7 of the last 16 teams have made the playoffs following their WS win. Add in turning on the jets the last half of '15 to the mix too. The adrenaline only pumps so long, but for Willy to have stepped up as he did, these guys better not drop instantly with him down. Willy sure seems like the type who would blame himself for that and may mess with his recovery even more. The team needs to play hard but granted you don't want more injuries. Everyone has the Dodgers for '17 but any team can beat another, any time. I hope to heck AZ or CO takes them down. Dodgers have been resting/DL'ing their pitchers all season long with questionable *injuries*. Robert's driving force this whole season was losing to us last year. Main focus is this team getting stronger and stronger each year. That includes mentally tho~ which a lot of them do seem checked out. I told my DS yesterday when I saw the lineup that Willy should have been off along with Rizzo and JHey. LaStella should have played 3rd and move KB to 1st. Hard to sit him when he is the only offense, absolutely..but now they have to figure it out a lot longer than one game. I am just hoping like heck no tear to his hamstring. I don't think it is but that guy is so tough, it is possible and he just didn't show it. Best outcome? He didn't stretch properly knowing he wasn't catching and cramp but that is really gong out on a limb.
Well, still in first but isn't it just like the Dirty Birds to return over the injured. No towel being thrown here either..like I said, I expect the Cubs to take the Division.

Very true. So many people are just looking at the record this year and seeing we're not kicking butt like last year....
BUT do not forget...
If we win our division (or the wild card) and we play better against better teams and not so well against the lesser teams, that still gives us the possibility to repeat. Once we make it to the playoffs, the ONLY thing that matters is how we play THOSE games.
Even though the dodgers are having a great season, if we get to the playoffs against them and they have some bad games and we have some good ones, the record for the season is a moot point. Do not throw in the towel or give up hope. Without hope, we have nothing.

Hopefully the team used Victor & Willy's bats lol & maybe Szczur could Fed Ex his to Rizzo.Losing Willy at clean up is rough tho.Addie needs to return as Addison Russell World Series Champion SS.His bat was clutch before his injury..needs to pick up where he left off. Jhey has been on it...if Riz coukd maybe cut down on the dp pls? I am just keeping fingers crossed our pitching gels w Avila.Bullpen specifically

Very true. So many people are just looking at the record this year and seeing we're not kicking butt like last year....
BUT do not forget...
If we win our division (or the wild card) and we play better against better teams and not so well against the lesser teams, that still gives us the possibility to repeat. Once we make it to the playoffs, the ONLY thing that matters is how we play THOSE games.
Even though the dodgers are having a great season, if we get to the playoffs against them and they have some bad games and we have some good ones, the record for the season is a moot point. Do not throw in the towel or give up hope. Without hope, we have nothing.

What have you seen from the Cubs that would lead you to believe they could possibly beat the Dodgers right now? I understand things can change in the playoffs but the Cubs are who they are right now. I would actually say that their record is probably better than it should be. They've really played bad year. They get completely shut down by good pitchers. Their pitching isn't as good as it was last year. Their bullpen is dying right now. There is just no reason at all to believe they would do much of anything in the playoffs.

still no official word on Willy..but 3-4 weeks keeps circulating. That would be great news...but Cubs to give announcement tomorrow. I am curious if the Cubs will get another catcher on waivers~Oh, and Dex just hit a grand slam putting the dirty birds up 7-3 in the 7th. Ugggghhhhhhhhhhh.

Tonight's PLEASE GET THE W TO HOLD OFF STL lineup~Hoping that us coming in after an off day and AZ playing after facing the Dodgers is a good thing? I just really don't care to lose all the ground we made up, would be a slap in the face to Willson and most of our pitchers who have been doing a great job. Hopefully Schwarb's isn't seeing ghosts as this is his first time back at this field since his knee injury/ kristen...if you could maybe wear your Zobie Jersey~ I know the guy is dead tired, played 2 b2b WS and now we are asking for him to be clean up and make it count and try for a 3rd play off season..any vibes you have...please send!
LETS GO CUBS!!!! WIN IT FOR WILLY!!!!!!!!!!

DG-hSIqXUAE04mN.jpg:large

and here is the Goldschmidt lineup
8/11 @Dbacks lineup vs CHC
Peralta LF
Pollock CF
Lamb 3B
Goldschmidt 1B
Martinez RF
Descalso 2B
Marte SS
Herrmann C
Walker P

Last edited:
CkIuoVrUkAQrGia.jpg

That game had it ALL! Great at bats, small ball, long ball, defense, pitching, a crazy first inning ..AND the W!

I absolutely loved the hit and run tonight...aggressive base running, taking command.
Avila stepped up in every way, KB , THANK YOU for returning! Clutch hits everywhere from everyone~ especially the guys off the bench, and then there's Javy, lol....he even stuttered rounding 3rd and STILL scored~yep, El Mago IS the perfect nick-name. Another great outing from Big John. That splits-stretch by Riz, at least Javy gave props, lol...The crowd was awesome, Cub Nation delivered! STL denied for today at least. So happy they stepped up and took a solid win.

this is too easy but,

HAPPy birthday Ian! Thank you for not turning that routine play at 2nd into a hot dog slide last night!:D

images
images
images

Kewz~ for your DD who isn't into baseball, a normal pic, and I guess he's friend's with the Fixxer Upper's? Who knew, lol
DGKJVe-XYAAK4fN.jpg
CyZDnpAUcAEeUUj.jpg

Thank, Fin! I'll make sure I show this to her. We're picking her up tomorrow! Haven't seen her since May so I'm pretty excited!

My DD lives in San Mateo (outside San Francisco) and we have not seen her since Christmas so I hear ya. Not sure we will see her this year, so far no word..CA is so far away from IL. It stinks. I *thought* about flying out to see her and take in a game during the Giants series but she is in a huge crunch at work and it wouldn't have worked out, and I kinda had commitments here (that I was happy to run away from , lol)but yeah..it's great when our kids return!

Looks like AAJ earned the LO spot tonight!
Lester hit his home run off Corbin...could he get #2 tonight? Hoping he makes it through 5 to get his deserved W
Meanwhile in AZ~

e84f2dd3371a82674e31ba5a54da09df.jpg

WE NEVER QUIT! PLACT!
lester-780x405.png

DHDY2hGVYAEzKzU.jpg:large

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter