Changes to 2021 trip itineraries?

Nope. It's standard operating procedures for ABD. They cut stuff and give you more OYO time. Or less days.

Sayhello
Yep, exactly what I was going to say. The changes they made to Scotland were the best parts--like the private plane trip to the Isle of Lewis, the visit to Dunnottar Castle, etc. A few years after they eliminated some of these they completely changed the itinerary. The other thing they like to do is eliminate meals (i.e. making more of them on your own).

We went on the old Germany trip. It had a real Disney feel as it was called: Once Upon a Fairytale – Heidelberg, Waldeck, Rothenburg and Munich. The story and theme of the trip trip was fantastic for adults and children, esp if you're a Disney fan. Staying in Waldeck castle was unforgettable. This is why we kept booking ABD's, for the stories, theme, food, hotels, and activities. The new itinerary looks very different and interesting, but I'm not sure I'm lured into taking it as much as the old trip. Maybe if I ran out of ABDs to take, I would consider it.
Here's the old Germany trip:
http://www.kingdommagictravel.com/d...tinations/europe-vacations/germany-vacations/
I have to say, we found the 'magic' in the Peru trip, which encouraged me that this was still possible in the new itineraries. But maybe it depends on your guides too. Harvey was one of the best local guides we've met on an ABD who is so passionate about his country that it just made the entire trip. This trip made me long for more ABD trips. Which is really the only reason I would continue to book ABDs, and the fact that I still have a placeholder to use! However, I don't like that they took out an extra day out of Peru and the lunch at Lima. I am complaining a lot about this because I would really like to redo this trip in the future exactly as it was and have my extra day and lunch! Hopefully we can have new trip reports of the last day of the new trip.

I have to say, we found the 'magic' in the Peru trip, which encouraged me that this was still possible in the new itineraries. But maybe it depends on your guides too. Harvey was one of the best local guides we've met on an ABD who is so passionate about his country that it just made the entire trip. This trip made me long for more ABD trips. Which is really the only reason I would continue to book ABDs, and the fact that I still have a placeholder to use! However, I don't like that they took out an extra day out of Peru and the lunch at Lima. I am complaining a lot about this because I would really like to redo this trip in the future exactly as it was and have my extra day and lunch! Hopefully we can have new trip reports of the last day of the new trip.

Glad to see love for Harvey. We LOVED the Peru trip (had Harvey and Alyssa). They were incredible guides and this trip was totally magical. Also, sorry to see they cut it down a day.

As for Australia, I would love to go back and would NOT visit Uluru again. However, it is really the highlight of any first trip and I don't think you can understand Australia without seeing that area. I am so sad about how this itinerary has been changed. The Gold Coast/Byron Bay was our favorite part of the trip and that was dumped last year.

Yes. Everyone begs for fewer activities and more on your own time and to arrange their own meals! That's all I ever hear!

You laugh, but I heard this on a couple of my ABDs. I would not count it out as actual guest feedback.

There are some folks that do not get the concept of guided group travel, and actually dislike having so much structure. I've heard at least 3 guests on my trips complain about lack of shopping time and wanting to choose where to eat. That is not helped by ABDs often less than stellar meals.

And a lot complain about travel time. I fully believe that they get such complaints, and it is behind some of their choices. It's only part of it, of course, but I'm not discounting that it happens.

You laugh, but I heard this on a couple of my ABDs. I would not count it out as actual guest feedback.

There are some folks that do not get the concept of guided group travel, and actually dislike having so much structure. I've heard at least 3 guests on my trips complain about lack of shopping time and wanting to choose where to eat. That is not helped by ABDs often less than stellar meals.

And a lot complain about travel time. I fully believe that they get such complaints, and it is behind some of their choices. It's only part of it, of course, but I'm not discounting that it happens.
ABD should charge less then :)
There are some less guided tours such as Rick Steves My Way or Insight Easy Pace.

I like to get my money’s worth with these expensive ABD trips so I enjoy everything they can do to fill up my time.

ABD should charge less then :)
There are some less guided tours such as Rick Steves My Way or Insight Easy Pace.

I like to get my money’s worth with these expensive ABD trips so I enjoy everything they can do to fill up my time.

Oh, I absolutely concur. I don't understand these types of folks. Like I said, some people don't understand guided group travel.

I just noticed that the Japan trip in 2021 is actually a day shorter than 2020. The itinerary states 10 days but for 2020 that 10th day is touring for 2021 it is the day you leave. It looks as though the price is a bit cheaper . You no longer stay in Odawara

I just noticed that the Japan trip in 2021 is actually a day shorter than 2020. The itinerary states 10 days but for 2020 that 10th day is touring for 2021 it is the day you leave. It looks as though the price is a bit cheaper . You no longer stay in Odawara
Thoughts on the Japan changes:

The evening and next morning in Odawara was a rush. You arrived late in Odawara from Takayama and had dinner OYO. Dinner was ok, nothing special - it was a buffet. That was the night for kids to go bowling which was neat. The next morning we went to the outdoor museum, ate lunch by the sea which was by far my least favorite lunch and saw the Great Buddha statue. The only things that were worth the Odawara stop was the kids going bowling and seeing the Great Buddha statue (and that was a rush), and the Cupnoodle museum which was surprisingly cool. If there was any day to cut, that was the day.

Now the time spent in Tokyo is totally different. We went to Asakusa, sushi making, took a boat ride (which I wasn't a fan of), saw the Meiji Shrine, and was dropped off in Harajuku. Now they have the Tokyo Tower and the Fish Market. Only the tea ceremony is the same. It's probably an even swap. Just interesting that it's so different. It looks like the final dinner is at the Peninsula which is better than the previous dinner.

Thoughts on the Japan changes:

The evening and next morning in Odawara was a rush. You arrived late in Odawara from Takayama and had dinner OYO. Dinner was ok, nothing special - it was a buffet. That was the night for kids to go bowling which was neat. The next morning we went to the outdoor museum, ate lunch by the sea which was by far my least favorite lunch and saw the Great Buddha statue. The only things that were worth the Odawara stop was the kids going bowling and seeing the Great Buddha statue (and that was a rush), and the Cupnoodle museum which was surprisingly cool. If there was any day to cut, that was the day.

Now the time spent in Tokyo is totally different. We went to Asakusa, sushi making, took a boat ride (which I wasn't a fan of), saw the Meiji Shrine, and was dropped off in Harajuku. Now they have the Tokyo Tower and the Fish Market. Only the tea ceremony is the same. It's probably an even swap. Just interesting that it's so different. It looks like the final dinner is at the Peninsula which is better than the previous dinner.
Actually, the Tea Ceremony is sort of different, because it is now at Happo-en, where the final dinner was for the first year. So you are touring those *much* smaller gardens, and having the Tea Ceremony there, and the whole tour of the extensive Hamarikyu City Gardens & Tea House is gone. I did love the bonzai trees at Happo-En, but it's not quite the same as Hamarikyu Gardens.

The addition of the Teamlab Borderless digital art museum is a really great add to the last Tokyo day. I did it during the afternoon/evening off on the first Tokyo day, and it is a really *fabulous* experience. I'm allowing myself to think that maybe me doing it and raving about it to others sparked the idea of ABD adding it (although who knows!).

I actually really enjoyed the whole Odawara day, but if they *had* to cut out a day, that would be the one. The logistics weren't great. I'm just wondering if the new route from Takayama straight to Tokyo is more or less mountainous than the route via Odawara. I *hope* it's not *more* mountainous!!

Sayhello

Last edited:
Actually, the Tea Ceremony is sort of different, because it is now at Happo-en, where the final dinner was for the first year. So you are touring those *much* smaller gardens, and having the Tea Ceremony there, and the whole tour of the extensive Hamarikyu City Gardens & Tea House is gone. I did love the bonzai trees at Happo-En, but it's not quite the same as Hamarikyu Gardens.

The addition of the Teamlab Borderless digital art museum is a really great add to the last Tokyo day. I did it during the afternoon/evening off on the first Tokyo day, and it is a really *fabulous* experience. I'm allowing myself to think that maybe me doing it and raving about it to others sparked the idea of ABD adding it (although who knows!).

I actually really enjoyed the whole Odawara day, but if they *had* to cut out a day, that would be the one. The logistics weren't great. I'm just wondering if the new route from Takayama straight to Tokyo is more or less mountainous than the route via Odawara. I *hope* it's not *more* mountainous!!

Sayhello

I remember them talking about cutting Odawara shortly after our ABD. I think both itineraries are good. If this one is cheaper than last years, I’d probably go to this one. I would have like to go to Tokyo Tower and the Fish Market. It’s definitely not a bad cut like Tasmania, Uluru, and Isle of Lewis were. I’m not sure I’d do the Australia or Scotland ABD as they stand now.

I don't have data for every trip, but I know that the lowest price last year was 9249 and this year it's 9499.

I remember them talking about cutting Odawara shortly after our ABD. I think both itineraries are good. If this one is cheaper than last years, I’d probably go to this one. I would have like to go to Tokyo Tower and the Fish Market. It’s definitely not a bad cut like Tasmania, Uluru, and Isle of Lewis were. I’m not sure I’d do the Australia or Scotland ABD as they stand now.
I totally agree with this. I honestly thought the Tokyo days were my least favorite of the trip. They were kind of unfocused and scattered. Here we were in this amazing big city, and we were doing a lot of the same type of things (visiting shrines and parks) that we did in the other places. They were all very nice, but I kind of wished we'd done something a bit more focused and more *city-like* in Tokyo. I think the Tokyo Tower, the Fish Market and Teamlab borderless museum sound like a good replacement for those days. So not a bad change at all. If they'd removed a whole day and made the trip more expensive, I'm not sure I'd like that. But if they've actually reduced the price a bit, I don't think that's a bad thing.

I was kind of holding out on Australia to do it as a retirement trip, when I'd have more time to travel in the area, but it looks like I missed the boat. Now I really have no interest in doing it with ABD. I'm thinking when I'm ready, I'm going to have to look for a company with a better Australia itinerary that *does* go to Uluru, and also includes Tasmania and hopefully New Zealand. The current Australia ABD just doesn't tempt me at all. Or maybe I'll do the New Zealand ABD and add on something different for Australia. Who knows? With all that's going on, I don't see me retiring as soon as I was hoping to.

Sayhello

A big change I noticed for the Japan Adventures is there is now only one free afternoon on Tokyo, where last year each Tokyo day had a free afternoon. We would have definitely missed having the second free afternoon,

We enjoyed the Hakone open air museum, which as noted above is no longer on the itinerary.

I wonder if the CupNoodles museum was removed because, per US customs (which I learned after I came back) those noodle cups are prohibited items to bring back into the US.

I wonder if the CupNoodles museum was removed because, per US customs (which I learned after I came back) those noodle cups are prohibited items to bring back into the US.
:eek: :eek: :eek: Seriously??? Well, yes, I would think that would make the experience way less fun if you had to abandon your noodle cup or eat it before you left the country. :(

Sayhello

Sayhello
We were on the inaugural trip, and Disney brass was along for the ride. Hakone outdoor museum was a highlight for us-- CupNoodle not so much. We tried to see the digital art museum but it was closed on our free day! The river cruise was eh, and the farewell dinner outside grounds were cool, but the venue inside was bland. So-- improvement overall, I would say.

:eek: :eek: :eek: Seriously??? Well, yes, I would think that would make the experience way less fun if you had to abandon your noodle cup or eat it before you left the country. :(

Sayhello
The area of concern for CBP is the meat and egg products that could be included - it was sure a surprise to me,

I'm bummed about the changes. The kid night with bowling at the hotel in Odwara was really fun and a highlight for my 19 and 22 year olds. I wish they could have kept the open air museum, but I would have been really bummed about the Cupnoodles museum. We loved it, and it was one of the things I was most looking forward to as a kid who grew up on top ramen. It wasn't alone--there was at least one other family who said that was what they were most looking forward to on our trip. But I agree that the Tokyo days needed work. I really like the tea ceremony in the gardens, but we skipped that last day and went to get baseball hats (Japanese baseball hats are only sold in one place) as well as visit the fish market. I was shocked that the famous fish market wasn't on the itinerary so glad that they put that one.

This is why I do year one of trips when possible.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter