Changes to 2021 trip itineraries?

They probably didn't have a fish market on the trip before because Tsukiji closed and relocated to Toyosu in the middle of 2018 and they were probably watching to see what would happen with it. The itinerary is also unclear on if they're just going to the market or if they're trying to be there for the big fish auction in the morning, where all the restaurant owners place their daily bids. The auction is an interesting experience for sure, but it also starts at 5:30 in the morning. Very early day if they do that.

They probably didn't have a fish market on the trip before because Tsukiji closed and relocated to Toyosu in the middle of 2018 and they were probably watching to see what would happen with it. The itinerary is also unclear on if they're just going to the market or if they're trying to be there for the big fish auction in the morning, where all the restaurant owners place their daily bids. The auction is an interesting experience for sure, but it also starts at 5:30 in the morning. Very early day if they do that.

I had thought the auction was extremely limited as well.. don't they only allow a couple groups of less than 20 per day?

When we went in 2018 (the old Tsukiji location), it was 2 groups of I'd say about 40 or 50 people. One group went for about 40 minutes, followed by the second group. We left our hotel about 2:30 am and were in line by 3 am. We paid a guide to take us to the location, and she waited in line with us and told us what to expect, history of the market, etc. We did get in that day, but the guide did not go in with us and met us later in the morning and we did a private tour of the market. If I remember correctly, there was a certain protocol when we were there (no talking, no video, etc.). You get the definite sense that the fish buyers viewed us as an annoyance. Overall, I can say we did it, but we probably wouldn't go through the hassle of doing it again. There was lots of other stuff in the market that we found more fascinating like all the different foods, and a demo of a tuna being butchered and broken down (which was a really cool thing). I'm not sure what the new market is like, but I can't imagine they would have a private viewing of the auction.

Last edited:
We were thinking of going on the Japan trip next year on the May 30th trip. However, I notice that trip is $2,500 more than the trips after that date. Does anyone have any ideas why?

We were thinking of going on the Japan trip next year on the May 30th trip. However, I notice that trip is $2,500 more than the trips after that date. Does anyone have any ideas why?
Best guess is the weather is a major factor in pricing and costs of travel, Japan summers are hot, humid, and can be very rainy. Spring and fall are the best times to travel, aside from Golden Week which is around last weekend of April thru first week of May. That is likely one factor why pricing is higher for spring and fall tours.

The price goes up as more people book. So it's probably a pretty popular date.

Sayhello

A while back I read about one of the smaller tour companies that had, for want a better term, inverse dynamic pricing. They advertised the high end of the price and if you were the only one that signed up for that tour, that is the price you would pay. But as more people signed up, the price would drop and the new price would be passed on to all. I think there were 3 or 4 thresholds until it hit the lowest price point. So, I guess the opening price was as if it was a private tour, then as others joined to make it a group tour the price would drop multiple times. I can't for the life of me remember which company it was though. But I've always thought this was a more equitable policy where if you were willing to pay the higher price (knowing that you are signing up for a group tour) you could be pleasantly surprised when you got your final bill to pay and realize your trip is now less expensive. Worst case is that you pay what you were quoted originally and expected to pay.

I find it interesting that trips stay so static, and when they do change, it sounds like it’s dropping experiences or choosing worse venues. Wouldn’t they constantly be on the lookout for BETTER experiences? Is it really true that they never come upon a better restaurant or hotel or activity for the same (or lower) price?

I find it interesting that trips stay so static, and when they do change, it sounds like it’s dropping experiences or choosing worse venues. Wouldn’t they constantly be on the lookout for BETTER experiences? Is it really true that they never come upon a better restaurant or hotel or activity for the same (or lower) price?
I wouldn't say it's never true. The second year of the Iceland trip, they swapped out the restaurant for the Welcome dinner (Bryggjan Brugghus Bistro ) for the restaurant at the Blue Lagoon, Lava. I would assume they're probably pretty comparable price-wise. But then they moved Bryggjan Brugghus Bistro to replace the totally lame Viking restaurant for the Farewell dinner, and that is DEFINITELY an upgrade! (I don't know price-wise, but quality-wise, absolutely no comparison!) So they do sometimes move meals around. But my experience has been, *in general*, they're more likely to change a meal to OYO than change it to a different restaurant.

Sayhello

They took Marbella and Ronda out of the Spain Itinerary.
We ADORED Ronda!! What a beautiful day! We had a wonderful lunch outdoors at a recommended hotel - the view was breathtaking. Marbella was a treat because it was a restful day and we put our feet into the Med. Sea. I'm very sorry to hear they changed the trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!