Chances of a walk-in seating at an already booked restaurant??

joecavalier

Mouseketeer
Just wondering how realistic it is to walk-in and actually get seated for a party of 2 at any of the popular (booked) restaurants around 5pm-6pm without an ADR (ie. Ohana, Mama Melrose, etc). I have ADRs in place, but we change our mind a lot and just wanted to see if this ever happens.

We've had some luck doing this. It works best if you choose a "unpopular" time such as earlier or later than most folks choose to eat. You might have a bit of a wait. But there are always no-shows, so you have a good shot, IMHO. :thumbsup2

We've had some luck doing this. It works best if you choose a "unpopular" time such as earlier or later than most folks choose to eat. You might have a bit of a wait. But there are always no-shows, so you have a good shot, IMHO. :thumbsup2

Thanks beccasmom! Yeah, since we already have ADRs, we just might be one of those "no shows" :rolleyes1 what can I say, we are the "go with the flow" types, reservations just aren't our thing ;).

A lot depends on when you go. And also if it is in a Park or a Resort.

Normally early January is never a problem for either. On a day when it is cold and rainy it should be easy in a Park. On a nice day in the middle of the week before the Parks close should not be much of a problem at the Resorts.

I have told this story so many times...

We were on the boat from Epcot to Boardwalk at about 6 pm. We called WDW-Dining asking for a Spoodles reservation, for six people, for any time that evening. We were told they were booked solid.

We arrive at the Boardwalk dock, and while we are debating whether to try Cape May or maybe something at the Swan or Dolphin, my friend walks over to Spoodles and comes back to tell us we will be seated shortly! :thumbsup2

We walk over, are seated immediately...in a nearly empty restaurant. :confused3

I have many more similar stories, but this is the #1 example of it never hurts to ask. :woohoo:

In December 2008 I tried to getting a lunch ADR for myself and 3 of my friends from Orlando in any of the Magic Kingdom restaurants, however I was told they were all full. Well we tried walking into Liberty Tree Tavern and we were able to get in and only waited 5 minutes to be seated. Later that day we went to Hollywood Studios and once again we walked into 50's Prime Time Cafe for dinner and after giving a name we only waited 5 minutes to be seated.

In December 2008 I tried to getting a lunch ADR for myself and 3 of my friends from Orlando in any of the Magic Kingdom restaurants, however I was told they were all full. Well we tried walking into Liberty Tree Tavern and we were able to get in and only waited 5 minutes to be seated. Later that day we went to Hollywood Studios and once again we walked into 50's Prime Time Cafe for dinner and after giving a name we only waited 5 minutes to be seated.

CR Fan is right, we had a reservation booked for a MNSSHP day at a resort, then decided to go on in to MK early and take advantage of the 4PM entry for party guests. I had called and was told that LTT was full (still a character meal then) DH had me walk up and ask (it was a little after 5:00 at the time) we were told to wait about ten minutes and were seated with no problems. I've not seen this happen at 'Ohana lately, though. :)

We have seen this go both ways. We have walked up, having an ADR for later but had no problem being seated an hour or so early. We have also walked up to a place with no ADR and still been able to get a seat. But I can't tell you the number of times we have tried to get into a TS restaurant and been turned away because they had no openings. Like others have said, it doesn't hurt asking, but be prepared to be told no also.

LOL, these are some great examples... and kinda what I figured. I know we wont be approaching Cinderella's Castle with this in mind, but for some of the moderate restaurant types, I will be sure to ask if needed (especially since we are only a party of two, that should help). Thanks!

LOL, these are some great examples... and kinda what I figured. I know we wont be approaching Cinderella's Castle with this in mind, but for some of the moderate restaurant types, I will be sure to ask if needed (especially since we are only a party of two, that should help). Thanks!

I know that you can generally get into any of the "coffee shop" type restaurants like Kona Cafe and Captain's Table at the YC. IMO, Kona has an excellent steak too, much better than the ones at LeCellier(highly overrated in my opinion). You can also sometimes get into Yachtsman's Steakhouse as well.

The only time we tried a walk up it was at Mama Melrose on our first trip and they looked at us like we were from another planet. Then again it was close to closing time.

Thanks beccasmom! Yeah, since we already have ADRs, we just might be one of those "no shows" :rolleyes1 what can I say, we are the "go with the flow" types, reservations just aren't our thing ;).

Would you be better off not making ADR's at all, since it is likey you may just 'no show' if your plans change? That way others who may want to dine can get the reservation that you won't show up for.

Would you be better off not making ADR's at all, since it is likey you may just 'no show' if your plans change? That way others who may want to dine can get the reservation that you won't show up for.

NO, always have an ADR to fall back on, you can cancel it a lot easier than you can create one!

Yes, but the OP said he typically no shows. If he put in the effort to cancel the ones he's not using , I would agree with you.

THis is true, I always cancel my ADRs when our plans change, I know a lot of times the CMs are surprised when I say I want to cancel, I guess it's just the way I was brought up, trying to be courteous. Just wish more people were courteous too!

THis is true, I always cancel my ADRs when our plans change, I know a lot of times the CMs are surprised when I say I want to cancel, I guess it's just the way I was brought up, trying to be courteous. Just wish more people were courteous too!

I always cancel ones I won't be using, as well. It is just frustrating when guests like the OP like to "wing it" so to speak, and instead of cancellingl an ADR they don't plan to use, instead just don't show up if their plans change. That's why I suggested perhaps they not make any ADR's at all. Someone could be trying every day to get that ADR, but can't because the restaurant is booked. A little courtesy goes a long way....

Someone could be trying every day to get that ADR, but can't because the restaurant is booked. A little courtesy goes a long way....

Sounds like you are like me, trying to get 'Ohana by any chance? It's a family tradition for us, for going on 12 years now. It took a lot of trials, plus a great IPO but I finally managed to snag one. Problem now, we may be delayed in arriving, costing us the ADR. I will, however, be cancelling it that day if I see we won't arrive in time!

Yes, but the OP said he typically no shows. If he put in the effort to cancel the ones he's not using , I would agree with you.

First, I NEVER said that I typically "no show"... I've only been to WDW once, when I was 8 yrs old (hardly the age to be making dining reservations). Second, that comment was meant to be tongue-in-cheek. Third, if I ever did change my mind on a ressie, I would always give the courtesy of canceling.

I already have all my ADRs on speed dial because as I continue to tweak my itinerary, cancelations will be inevitable.

Funny how fires can start without even the hint of smoke.

First, I NEVER said that I typically "no show"... I've only been to WDW once, when I was 8 yrs old (hardly the age to be making dining reservations). Second, that comment was meant to be tongue-in-cheek. Third, if I ever did change my mind on a ressie, I would always give the courtesy of canceling.

I already have all my ADRs on speed dial because as I continue to tweak my itinerary, cancelations will be inevitable.

Funny how fires can start without even the hint of smoke.

To be fair, it's often difficult to decipher the tone of people's posts. It wasn't easy for me to understand that you would be canceling an ADR when you're joking around that you'd be a "no show". It's often better to err on the side of caution and specify for that reason. This subject strikes a nerve on this forum all the time. It's definitely a hot button topic that needs a bit of diplomacy.

I hope you don't take the concerns as personal attacks.

On our trip in March a couple in front of us walked up to Ohana and got seated. I thought it was odd because it was a very, very busy spring break week and I had read here on the Dis about people not being able to get an ADR because they were booked the whole week. They only waited a few minutes, they were actually seated before my party.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter