Castaway Cay cast members hurricane evacuation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I've seen, Disney is the only cruise line that didn't evacuate their employees.

Not saying the bands are nothing, but on the plus side, Castaway is south (by a ways) of the landfall, so whole a very close glancing blow, not a 100% direct hit as it looks on all the maps I have seen looking just now.

Being a Castaway employee parent, Disney should have pulled their employees off the island. The hurricane shelters (2 of them), hopefully can withstand the long term strong wind. A CAT 5 hurricane, there is going to be a lot of wind water damage. Last time I talked to my daughter, people are tired and scared. Calling into Disney, you get the typical PR spill, I always had faith that Disney would take care of their employees, but with this, I'm starting to think that they are only worried about the money.

My heart is breaking for you....I cannot begin to imagine how I would feel if my child was going to be in the middle of the Bahamas during a storm this strong. My thoughts are with you and your daughter. And to echo a previous poster, please update us if possible.

This is interesting. Thanks. I'd always read that it was only 5 ft above sea level and it looks flat as a pancake in every photo I have. That said, the beach structures are barely above sea level. a 15-20ft storm surge will be decimating.

The "airport" on the island is at 5 ft elevation according to several sources online.

And yeah, whether due to storm surge or winds, a lot of the structures are likely going to sustain severe damage or no longer exist.

SW

Maximum sustained winds are now 180mph! Praying for all in the path of Dorian!

Not saying the bands are nothing, but on the plus side, Castaway is south (by a ways) of the landfall, so whole a very close glancing blow, not a 100% direct hit as it looks on all the maps I have seen looking just now.

If it stays on the westerly track, while the eye wont pass over it will only be twenty or so miles from it, much more than a glancing blow, they will see at least cat 4 most likely 5 winds for an extended time. Also the eye is 15 miles wide, so the eyewall will be even closer to the island

As the NHC just said.
DORIAN BECOMES THE STRONGEST HURRICANE IN MODERN RECORDS FOR
THE NORTHWESTERN BAHAMAS

The few DCL CMs who stay on the island would be evacuated on whatever ship when it pulls out. There are local islanders who commute to CC as vendors, but only for the dates a ship docks. They do not live there and would be at home with their families, or evacuating their homes if necessary.

When we did the walking and kayak adventure on one of our cruises it was just my sister and I and the guide so we spent a lot of time talking with her :-) She lives on Abaco and said that most of the people who don't live on CC permanently are from Abaco - there are ferry runs each day between Abaco and CC when ships are at CC.

If you want to learn about what is happening in Bahamas, there is some local media coverage out of Nassau, including info about the Abaco evacuations:

https://thenassauguardian.com/
https://thenassauguardian.com/2019/...ngest-hurricane-ever-to-hit-northern-bahamas/
https://thenassauguardian.com/2019/08/31/pm-makes-final-plea-ahead-of-dorian/
SW

Being a Castaway employee parent, Disney should have pulled their employees off the island. The hurricane shelters (2 of them), hopefully can withstand the long term strong wind. A CAT 5 hurricane, there is going to be a lot of wind water damage. Last time I talked to my daughter, people are tired and scared. Calling into Disney, you get the typical PR spill, I always had faith that Disney would take care of their employees, but with this, I'm starting to think that they are only worried about the money.

I'm sorry you have to go through this! I would also be terrified in that situation. However, I still do think of anywhere in that group of islands, that Disney shelter is likely the safest spot. But yes, if they could have just collected them all with the last ship that was there, that would have left nothing to chance. They hopefully consulted with various scientists, meteorologists, and local authorities to arrive at their decision, and I will be hoping for the best for you & all of them!

In the bunker, the castaway CMs will be fine, the rest of the structures on the island will most likely be destroyed and depending on gust etc. a good bit of trees. Almost better there than Abaco which is getting a direct hit.

In Oct 2017 we were on the Dream cruise just before hurricane Irma that was cut short by one day. Hours after leaving CC the captain announced that we would turn around and go back to CC to pick up CM's. I think we picked up over 100 CM's that night and then we proceeded to PC. I don't think the Irma forecast was nearly as bad as this.
If the CM's are still at CC, I assume it is because no Disney ship has been there since the forecast got bad. Does anyone know the last docking there?

In Oct 2017 we were on the Dream cruise just before hurricane Irma that was cut short by one day. Hours after leaving CC the captain announced that we would turn around and go back to CC to pick up CM's. I think we picked up over 100 CM's that night and then we proceeded to PC. I don't think the Irma forecast was nearly as bad as this.
If the CM's are still at CC, I assume it is because no Disney ship has been there since the forecast got bad. Does anyone know the last docking there?

Fantasy docked on the island Friday. Just went by yesterday along the Florida coast.

We were there Friday on the Fantasy.

If it stays on the westerly track, while the eye wont pass over it will only be twenty or so miles from it, much more than a glancing blow, they will see at least cat 4 most likely 5 winds for an extended time. Also the eye is 15 miles wide, so the eyewall will be even closer to the island

As the NHC just said.
At this point, it's looking like the southern part of the eye wall will stay about 25-30 miles north of CC at its closest point, if Dorian continues its current course .

The few DCL CMs who stay on the island would be evacuated on whatever ship when it pulls out. There are local islanders who commute to CC as vendors, but only for the dates a ship docks. They do not live there and would be at home with their families, or evacuating their homes if necessary.

The CMs on CC are just like the CMs on the ships. They come from all over the world and live their for as long as their contract. I spoke extensively to a lifeguard from Australia once.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter