Castaway Cay cast members hurricane evacuation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the eye of the storm misses CC there still will be significant damage. I live on Long Island, NY. Hurricane Sandy “came ashore” in New Jersey. New York City and western Long Island had significant damage with that ‘near miss’. We are still recovering in many areas. So having the eye/center miss does not mean that there won’t be significant damage especially with the storm being predicted to stall over the islands for 36 hours!

Agreed , the surge is the biggest threat most of the time. FYI Sandy wasn’t even a hurricane , it came ashore New Jersey something less than that

You are talking like you have some specific knowledge of the island elevations and facilities , which I doubt

Family member who is a crew member. Not on the island, but she knows the facilities. If the shelter was not going to be safe, they would have been evacuated.

Also, talking knowledge of elevations and facilities? The exact same could be said of you insisting it is not safe.

Hoping all the CM's on the island and the island itself fair well over the next few days. We have visited CC a few times after hurricanes and there were still beach loungers way out in the water on the bottom.. The island turns from its beautiful lush green to brown as the salt water kills the vegetation. It takes a few months for the vegetation to grow and get green again.

MJ

A few years ago when a hurricane hit CC, there was a thread with a mother (in England maybe?) asking about word from her son who was on CC. Someone posted photos of the shelter. Quite impressive. Disney is all about safety so I would bet it has made prudent decisions for the CC crew.

Prayers for all in the path of Dorian.

If the track holds , getting hit by a strengthening cat 5, right now tied at 8th strongest hurricane ever in the atlantic. Most of the structures on the island will be destroyed, shelter will be fine but not going to be a fun day. There won’t be stops on the island for a good while.

Disney is all about safety so I would bet it has made prudent decisions for the CC crew.

I agree, I think Disney must be very confident about their safety to leave them there. Plus, if they had evacuated the CMs, where would they have gone? I guess some may have been put on whichever ship was there last, but it's also likely some of them would have "evacuated" to their homes on neighboring islands and gone to whatever hurricane shelter that island provides. Sounds like the Disney hurricane shelter is probably going to be the safest thing anywhere in the area. It's the people on all the other islands who don't have access to that kind of facility that could really be in trouble with this storm. :(

if they had evacuated the CMs, where would they have gone?

The few DCL CMs who stay on the island would be evacuated on whatever ship when it pulls out. There are local islanders who commute to CC as vendors, but only for the dates a ship docks. They do not live there and would be at home with their families, or evacuating their homes if necessary.

Being a Castaway employee parent, Disney should have pulled their employees off the island. The hurricane shelters (2 of them), hopefully can withstand the long term strong wind. A CAT 5 hurricane, there is going to be a lot of wind water damage. Last time I talked to my daughter, people are tired and scared. Calling into Disney, you get the typical PR spill, I always had faith that Disney would take care of their employees, but with this, I'm starting to think that they are only worried about the money.

Thanks.... didn't find any pics
Sorry, I am unable to access the links right now so couldn’t check them. Possibly the pics have been removed; Disney doesn’t like pictures posted of “backstage” areas at any of their properties.

Being a Castaway employee parent, Disney should have pulled their employees off the island. The hurricane shelters (2 of them), hopefully can withstand the long term strong wind. A CAT 5 hurricane, there is going to be a lot of wind water damage. Last time I talked to my daughter, people are tired and scared.
I can’t imagine how hard this must be for you. I’ll keep your daughter and everyone in harm’s way in my thoughts. To the extent you can, please keep us updated on how your daughter is doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter