Castaway 5k

Once a year you can do an earlier 5K on Castaway Cay. You just need to do one of the races during the WDW marathon weekend in January, and take the 4 night Dream cruise that immediately follows that weekend. You get off the ship while still dark, and do a slightly longer course (the regular 5K done for ever cruise is a little less than 5k). The is the runDisney Castaway Cay 5K Challenge race. This one is not free. Registration for this race next January is $80, but you do get a free race shirt, a snack box at the end, and a metal 5K medal. If you are ambitious, you can do the challenge 5k early, then also do the regular free cruise 5k.

Once a year you can do an earlier 5K on Castaway Cay. You just need to do one of the races during the WDW marathon weekend in January, and take the 4 night Dream cruise that immediately follows that weekend. You get off the ship while still dark, and do a slightly longer course (the regular 5K done for ever cruise is a little less than 5k). The is the runDisney Castaway Cay 5K Challenge race. This one is not free. Registration for this race next January is $80, but you do get a free race shirt, a snack box at the end, and a metal 5K medal. If you are ambitious, you can do the challenge 5k early, then also do the regular free cruise 5k.

And as I understand it, the Challenge 5K is both timed AND legitimately 5K. The fun run is not officially timed and honestly is not legitimately 5K - it always registered slightly short on my garmin (I don't start it the moment we get off the ship because until you are at the starting line, it's just a warm-up walk.)

And as I understand it, the Challenge 5K is both timed AND legitimately 5K. The fun run is not officially timed and honestly is not legitimately 5K - it always registered slightly short on my garmin (I don't start it the moment we get off the ship because until you are at the starting line, it's just a warm-up walk.)

Yep. Though on the paid 5k day, the free island run is the same route so it’s also a full 5k.

Unless they’ve changed that practice since I did the inaugural in 2015.

I am a walker and typically walk about 3 miles a day. I'm thinking I'd like to walk this if it's acceptable. When is sign up for it?

I plan on doing this next year if I decide on a winter CC cruise....that said when I went in August and got off the ship at 9AM it was soooooo HOT. There was not a cloud in the sky and the sun is literally on your back. I could not imagine doing a 5k in that. Again some will take it light others take it more seriously but I plan on training for this one and taking it seriously.

I am a walker and typically walk about 3 miles a day. I'm thinking I'd like to walk this if it's acceptable. When is sign up for it?

The previous post referenced the Castaway Cay challenge 5k so two answers.

Regular 5k on all the cruises with a Castaway Cay stop information-
- The easiest is to sign up is through guest services once onboard. You will meet in the theater or sometimes one of the lounges that morning and head off to the start area once cleared to go ashore. Walking is fine, no time limit. All finishers receive a the medal below.
upload_2018-8-31_11-0-30.jpeg

The Castaway Cay challenge info-
-You must be on the Dream Cruise that departs after WDW marathon weekend (Jan 14th this year, 2019). You must register and complete a race on marathon weekend and register for the Castaway Cay challenge on the runDisney website.

The previous post referenced the Castaway Cay challenge 5k so two answers.

Regular 5k on all the cruises with a Castaway Cay stop information-
- The easiest is to sign up is through guest services once onboard. You will meet in the theater or sometimes one of the lounges that morning and head off to the start area once cleared to go ashore. Walking is fine, no time limit. All finishers receive a the medal below.
View attachment 347350

The Castaway Cay challenge info-
-You must be on the Dream Cruise that departs after WDW marathon weekend (Jan 14th this year, 2019). You must register and complete a race on marathon weekend and register for the Castaway Cay challenge on the runDisney website.

Thank you!!!

We were just on the Fantasy that returned Oct 10th, and when we signed up for the 5k, it was 1-2 days before we went to Castaway Cay. We were given a start time of 10:15-10:30 instead of getting to leave the ship before everyone else.

The later start time deterred us from even wanting to do the 5k since it would be so much hotter starting that late and we would lose more time on the island since we likely wouldn't finish until almost 11 with a start time that late.

Has anyone else experienced this recently? Is this the way the 5k will be handled going forward? I will definitely be signing up earlier if that is the case!

We were just on the Fantasy that returned Oct 10th, and when we signed up for the 5k, it was 1-2 days before we went to Castaway Cay. We were given a start time of 10:15-10:30 instead of getting to leave the ship before everyone else.

The later start time deterred us from even wanting to do the 5k since it would be so much hotter starting that late and we would lose more time on the island since we likely wouldn't finish until almost 11 with a start time that late.

Has anyone else experienced this recently? Is this the way the 5k will be handled going forward? I will definitely be signing up earlier if that is the case!

Yes and it was on the Fantasy as well back in January so because of the late start, we didn't participate in the 5K.

The 5k for me was fun, but hot hot hottttttttttt! I had to walk most of it because I started to feel like a toasted marshmallow

Is there an age limit? I have talked to my 9 year old who does an annual 5k with me on Thanksgiving every year and she is interested. I just wanted to make sure she would be allowed also.

Is there an age limit? I have talked to my 9 year old who does an annual 5k with me on Thanksgiving every year and she is interested. I just wanted to make sure she would be allowed also.

Unless it has changed since 2016, the Minimum age was 10. (but there may be some flexibility, I don't know.)

Unless it has changed since 2016, the Minimum age was 10. (but there may be some flexibility, I don't know.)
They are pretty flexible. They won't let an undet-10 register, but once everyone is in the WDT they don't care and my 9 year old ran and got the medal and wears his 5k shirt with pride.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter