Cast members have changed

James Bazan

Earning My Ears
I’ve been coming to Disney world my whole life, 30 years. Cast members used to love their work and go out of their way to make magical moments. Those cast members still exist however they’re less than a majority of cast members. Please note I do not blame any of these cast members for the change.

I think the change was slow at first but I feel like the great resignation changed everything fast. My trip I’m wrapping up I’ve seen cast members just lack the motivation to go out of their way for guests and I can understand. I can’t imagine dealing with all the terrible guests they have to deal with on a daily basis and for such low pay. Cast members are more honest and blunt now openly without forcing a fake smile/cheery attitude.

I honestly don’t know that I would want it any other way though all things considered. It feels like the interactions I have that are magical are more genuine and I don’t mind the others just doing their job like any other customer facing role.

Just my two cents. I know a ton of people hate this change but I applaud the workforce fighting for a better life and I don’t see this changing anytime soon.

I'll add my 2 cents to your 2 cents. I think the change in some cast members attitudes is based on a combination of three things.

1. New cast members do not have as much "Traditions" training as they used to. This instills in them a great sense of pride in what Walt Disney wanted the parks to be. Without it, many don't have that same understanding of the place.

2. Many cast members quit or were forced out during the Pandemic and now Disney is trying hire people to fill those positions. These new cast members are learning their jobs on the fly, which can be a bit overwhelming, to say the least.

3. The Pandemic has put many guests on edge for a variety of reasons, and, unfortunately, they take their frustrations out on the cast members. This must make going to work everyday with a smile on your face and a positive attitude very difficult.

There...now we have 4 cents:)

You can only work a front line operations job for so long before burnout sets it, at least a little bit. That's part of what makes the college program so great. Get young people who are fresh and enthusiastic, and then bring in a fresh crop once the old guard start to get sick of things.

I'm not one to expect magic from CM's but it still happens. Like the OP, I'm fine if CM's are just doing their jobs.

Recently walking through EPCOT and my friends' DD13 was wearing her Bowie tshirt. She is a rock'n'roll girl! We passed a CM just doing his job and he sings "Ground control to Major Tom". On cue, my friends and I finish the verse. I love those moments.

Same trip, MMRR broke down before it opened. We were in line for early entry and and what a waste of precious time. A CM could see I was upset. She complimented my dress. That's it but it made me feel better.

Free brownie from Casey's bc it was too late to order, same trip.

Low pay, staff shortages, COVID.... It's a wonder to me that CMs can hold it together. I've been visiting Disney since 1971 and cannot remember a negative encounter with a Disney CM. But, I'm a nice person.

...same trip, MMRR broke down before it opened. We were in line for early entry and and what a waste of precious time. A CM could see I was upset. She complimented my dress. That's it but it made me feel better...free brownie from Casey's bc it was too late to order, same trip....I've been visiting Disney since 1971 and cannot remember a negative encounter with a Disney CM. But, I'm a nice person.
...I have always looked at interacting with CMs from a slightly different perspective, mainly because my DS is a server at the Hollywood Brown Derby. I always try to treat a CM like I'd want guests to treat my DS....it pretty much all works out, with the exception of when we were checking into the AKL last Thursday.

I think many of us have seen and would likely agree with what you're saying. That said, you've inspired me to make it a point on my next trip to build up every CM I interact with. Any ideas beside kind words?
Just kind words and a smile. Want to go further? Send a compliment in for them. No snacks, no gift cards. Snacks go in the trash often so don’t waste your money.

...I am from the Garden state and I always make it a habit to bring along a box of good ol' Jersey shore salt-water taffy to give the CMs when I check in.
You're from Jersey? I'm from Jersey! Jersey Shore... no, not that one. About ten miles north of there.

Do I sort of qualify for the Jersey gang since my FIL lives near Princeton? :duck:

Anyway, back on topic...

Part of what made our fall stay disappointing was how anxious many CMs seemed. It was a "fellow feeling" in a sense, because we were nervous about being in FL as high as case and percent-positive rates were.

We would go home in a week whereas they had to be in their roles every day, worried about all sorts of things not even thought of a couple years before.

It did, however, make encounters with favorite CMs from trips past that much happier and more poignant. Such a relief to see them again. What determination to keep up the magic as Walt would have wanted! As a result, we gave some unusually large tips.

I'd say the magic is still there but was somewhat worse for wear oftentimes.

2. Many cast members quit or were forced out during the Pandemic and now Disney is trying hire people to fill those positions. These new cast members are learning their jobs on the fly, which can be a bit overwhelming, to say the least.

I disagree with #2. Disney isn’t “trying” to hire anyone. Adding positions to job postings isn’t the same as actively trying to hire someone. They had to lay off their work force. That group still needed a paycheck, and found one. Now Disney wants them or someone equivalent back. Well Disney would need to pay them more, or offer them something worth leaving their current employer.

I just came back from experiencing the 50th, and it was probably the worst visit yet in regards to what I assumed were Disney standards. Our last day there, our flight was canceled, and most flights for the next three days. We had already checked out, so we ended up staying at a universal. It was so much cheaper, and yet so much nicer. I didn’t see any animatronics that were turned off, any faded, flaking, chipped, or missing paint, and the busses were always on time (I’m assuming) I didn’t have to wait more than 5 minutes for a bus, if that. But at Disney, staying at a moderate hotel, 30-40 minutes each and every single time. Not fun when it’s 30 degrees out. On our last day, we boarded a different bus and simply walked from there to our resort. The morning of, many opted to ride the bus to EPCOT, take the monorail to TTC and transfer to MK. Every day we asked ourselves why we even bothered to stay on property.

Oh, and don’t get me started on the 8 hours on the phone, trying to get our MagicBand issue sorted out. Good thing they charged us for them. Not like we wanted to have them on our trip. Now I’m wondering if we should simply dispute the charges, since actually contacting someone is near impossible.

Last edited:
...nope...Exit 16W is Meadowlands/Secaucus...18W is GWB and NYC.
Thus the 😁. I grew up in South Jersey across the river from Philadelphia, but I've driven ambulances all over the state. I'm just at the beach now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter