Cast members have changed

The decline had started before Covid.
My son worked at Epcot in Merchandise and had the old traditions training which included being told about greeting every guest as they wandered around if he was free to do that. If possible engage them about how their day was going. At the least make eye contact and smile. Management were everywhere checking up on this and they got mystery shopped at the tills. Only if the entire stores were empty were the CM’s allowed to chat to each other, although I’m sure that they did.
Fast forward a few years and on a trip I wandered around the same shops. Some greeted me, some didn’t as they were busy and some were chatting and completely ignored me. On my last trip pre pandemic virtually none greeted me and in one empty room the CM didn’t even look up from whatever she was thinking about. I tried to attract her attention by looking at stuff near where she was standing but zilch.
In the next room a girl did smile so we had a chat. I asked her if management were very visible these days and she said no they rarely saw them. I asked her about mystery shoppers (which every time you were mystery shopped you were given a score and below a certain number meant a 1:1 with management.,) and she didn’t have the faintest idea of what I was talking about. She said it hadn’t happened once to her and she was coming to the end of her contract after a year or to any of her friends.
She was astonished. She was lovely and I’m sure would have done really well, but wow what a difference! Possibly there just aren’t the same number of managers even employed by Disney now or they have got other priorities. That’s just one potential reason why standards had already begun declining long before Covid even existed.

Agree with @CarolynU's comments. Just returned from a week's long trip. Same old story - short staffed & really young, inexperienced CMs across the board. Most looked tired, were goofing off talking to each other & many didn't have the work ethic to keep up with the lines (I'm thinking of you, Boulangerie-Patisserie in which I waited in a 1 hr long line.) To be clear, I don't blame the CMs. I blame the system - the low pay, the lack of mgmt oversight, the lack of culture & training, and so much more. However, we did interact with some terrific CMs. They were few and over worked training new CMs, but they were there.

I will add - Disney College Program!!! I'm soooo excited for this pgm to return. We were talking to a fantastic waiter at Grand Floridian Cafe who has worked for Disney for ~20 yrs. He's training multiple CMs right now and also wonders where people who didn't return went. Early retirement? Moved out of hospitality? Anyway, he mentioned that he's super eager for the Disney College Program students to come back because they had the BEST personalities - an innate love for Disney, eagerness, bright eyed & bushy tailed approach to work, etc. I don't disagree with him. I think it'd be great to bring back these young people who want to join the Disney family!

I also think we need to open & extend the J9 Visas for CMs. There are many folks in different countries who want to work for Disney & cannot because of a shortage of these visas & also the fact that there is COVID and some (most) other countries have stricter rules & regulations re. returning to their home countries. Some folks may not want to expose themselves here in the US when their home country may have less cases (and deaths). Whatever the reason, it'd be great to see these international folks return. Epcot's World Showcase was not the same this time around without these international friends.

Brighter days ahead!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter