Carrying water bottles in parks -how?

tigger2002

DIS Veteran
I looked through the forums for an answer, but they were all pretty old. Any updates for carrying water around in the parks? I know you can get free water cups at many locations but the cups are so small. Just wondering if anyone had any new ideas.

I've been wondering that myself. We don't really want to carry around a water bottle all day but since we're going in May we know we need to stay hydrated.

We did this on our last trip, but we also had a stroller. I used a soft-sided cooler (a lunchbox size) and put 6- 20 oz. water bottles inside. I filled two qt. size ziplock freezer bags with ice and put on the top and bottom of the cooler. (I also filled my reusable tumbler with ice water prior to leaving for the parks.)

Whenever QS water was convenient (snack or lunch stop), we topped off my reusable tumbler. When it wasn't, we used the water bottles we brought in. By late afternoon, the ziplock bags of ice had melted but were still cold. We poured those into the reusable tumbler and drank that too.

Next time, we will not have a stroller. We have only taken one backpack in the past, but I can't imagine packing 6-8 20 oz. bottles of water in one backpack, even if we keep switching it off. I think we might try with 2 backpacks, but I still haven't decided. I'm also entertaining the idea of getting camelbacks (or something similar).

I carry a backpack with those net elastic-topped side pouches that hold water bottles. Also those little Crystal Light drink mixes to make the water into lemonade or iced tea. Refill the bottles at water fountains and mask the Florida water taste.

I usually have a sling bag or backpack with at least one side pocket that can hold a bottle. I usually put one bottle there, another one in the bag and a third one hanging from the bag with a Chums bottle carabiner. Boyfriend who has no bag carries two on Chums bottle carabiners that he clips to his belt loop. We get free water at our quick service meals and save our bottled water for between meals.

I have a 20 ounce thermos bottle that I use. It has a handle on the lid to carry it with. So, depending on how I'm feeling that day, I will either just carry it in my hands or I will wear my small backpack to carry it in. Since it's a thermos bottle, it doesn't sweat all over the inside of my backpack. I usually start the day with putting ice in it and filling it up with water. After I empty it for the first time, I hunt down a quick serve and get a cup or two of ice water to fill it back up. That way I have it ready the next time I need drink it.

I normally go bagless so I carry a water bottle in my hand and just fill it up with the free water from QS. I'm going in a couple of days and got a runners fanny pack that has a bottle pouch on it I will probably be using. I'll still just use a plastic bottle and refill it from the free water. I stay at the Dolphin and you get two free bottles of water a day so I try to use those instead of carrying around a heavier bottle. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073M1CL48/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I looked through the forums for an answer, but they were all pretty old. Any updates for carrying water around in the parks? I know you can get free water cups at many locations but the cups are so small. Just wondering if anyone had any new ideas.
We drink a lot of water normally so for our family we usually carry two larger refillable water bottles and we refill with cups of water or fountains throughout the day. I also have a collapsable water bottle we'll use in cooler months since the capacity isn't as large as our nalgene or ozark trail bottles. I also usually pack drink flavoring packets since the water can be hit or miss with flavor. Also, in the hotter months, I will bring our cold water bottles from the room in my backpack and use those early on to drop the weight in our backpack. For short park trips, I just use a carabiner to clip the bottle to my smaller bag otherwise the bottles fit in my backpack water bottle holders.

I use a mini backpack as 32 y/o female. I carry a water bottle in it. It doesn't bother me, but I drink a LOT of water even without heat.

They make collapsible water bottles or these water bag things. They can be attached to your belt loop when not in use or stuffed in a pocket.

If we have to have a stroller, I'll bring water bottles -- but if I have to carry them myself, no way. Yes, the cups of free water are small, but you can ask for multiples for each person.

IMO, the key is being flexible depending on what your plans are. We go as either 2 of us, or 4. But it's only myself or myself and my wife carrying a bag. We don't make the kids carry anything.
I also bring 3 different bags for myself- a backpack with 2 large side water holders, and large hip/sling pack with 2 large side holders and a small fanny pack that has 1 smaller. Wife has either a backpack or a small fannypack. The large side holders can fit a 32 ounce nalgene. The smaller ones a standard store bought water bottle of 16 ounces or so. We bring Nalgene bottles- that are not insulated, so would be the first thing to drink on longer days. We also freeze some plastic waters as others have said. We also have 2 of those steel lined water bottles that we can put ice in and be cold for 12 hours.
All that said- every day is different. If we are just going for a quick 2 hours- I take the small fanny- and one regular refrigerated water. On long days- we have a backpack with a nalgene on one side, steel on the other and a few frozens in the pack. However- any time we grab a pretzel or an ice cream etc- we each get a free water- and down it- and extra we'll dump in our waters. It keeps stuff cold, and us hydrated. However, we never go without any water, because I don't want to "have to" wait in line for a water if I really need it. Flexibility is my most important aspect to water at the parks- and frankly- without water and being hydrated, all the parks are frustrating...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter