CARNIVAL VS DCL: The discussion and comparison thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ontario said no to Christmas get togethers a few weeks ago. I expected that and have been prepping my son for it. My parents dropped off all our gifts today, my sister lives closer and we'll exchange gifts on one door step or another closer to the day. My son's birthday is next week as well, and no party this year. I will try and make it special any way.

Well, at least your PM didn’t give you false hope like ours.

Well, they just announced that Canada will authorize the vaccine this week and start to vaccinate people (slowly) next week...

This makes me a tiny little bit more confident that my April cruise could, maybe (we‘ll see) happen.

This also means that cruises will most likely be reauthorized in Canada next summer.

This is all very encouraging.

Well, they just announced that Canada will authorize the vaccine this week and start to vaccinate people (slowly) next week...

This makes me a tiny little bit more confident that my April cruise could, maybe (we‘ll see) happen.

This also means that cruises will most likely be reauthorized in Canada next summer.

I'm really not trying to be a downer but let's not jump the gun so fast. Health Canada *should* approve it this week, and we are expecting that if that happens, the first doses will arrive next week. But only 250,000 which is only enough for 125,000 people. Then "up to" another 4 million (again, enough for 2 million) in the first 3 or 4 months of 2021. I don't know what other provinces are saying, but here in BC we are being told that *most* people should be vaccinated (if they want to be) by September. And BC is VERY against international travel right now. Yes I know the border is federal but Trudeau has also said he doesn't see our border opening to anyone for several more months. Right now I'd say we have less than a 50/50 chance of Transport Canada approving cruises for 2021. We've already cancelled our March 2021 cruise and plan to move our August 2021 Europe cruise to 2022. At this point we'll be happy if we can just travel outside of BC somewhere within Canada by August.

My understanding is that the vaccinations will be quite limited until at least April, with elderly and people working with them first. Then moving down in age. While they (federal and most provinces are in agreement) are saying by September everyone who wants to be, should be able to get vaccinated, I don't think that will be any earlier. As for cruising, if it's in the US, we'll see what happens there over the next few months. I am not sure about the Canadian cruise season, I am doubtful.

I am hoping for Oct/Nov travel, fingers crossed.

And... My bermuda cruise on Carnival Magic in September 2021 just got cancelled because of shipyard delay.

**Check your emails if you had plans in 2021 as it's not the only one cancelled**

Thank you very much, COVID-19.

All our plans were made. Hotel and plane tickets booked, etc.

This sucks so bad. My MIL and FIL are going to be devastated. :(

Last edited:
And... My bermuda cruise on Canrival Magic in September 2021 just got cancelled because of shipyard delay.

**Check your emails if you had plans in 2021 as it's not the only one cancelled**

Thank you very much, COVID-19.

All our plans were made. Hotel and plane tickets booked, etc.

This sucks so bad. My MIL and FIL are going to be devastated. :(

Just saw the news. So sorry, what a let down! And so much wasted time and effort into booking in the first place. Anyway you can rebook for another sailing during the same time? I know Bermuda might be a little trickier. Hope you can work something out!

Just saw the news. So sorry, what a let down! And so much wasted time and effort into booking in the first place. Anyway you can rebook for another sailing during the same time? I know Bermuda might be a little trickier. Hope you can work something out!

I will look into it but it's the second time our Bermuda cruise is cancelled. NCL did cancel first, and now Carnival.

Since I had already prepaid my cruise and the OBC offered with the credit is interesting, I am not sure what I'll do.

Maybe Royal. We'll see. Could turn into a NYC trip only.

I'm really not trying to be a downer but let's not jump the gun so fast. Health Canada *should* approve it this week, and we are expecting that if that happens, the first doses will arrive next week. But only 250,000 which is only enough for 125,000 people. Then "up to" another 4 million (again, enough for 2 million) in the first 3 or 4 months of 2021. I don't know what other provinces are saying, but here in BC we are being told that *most* people should be vaccinated (if they want to be) by September. And BC is VERY against international travel right now. Yes I know the border is federal but Trudeau has also said he doesn't see our border opening to anyone for several more months. Right now I'd say we have less than a 50/50 chance of Transport Canada approving cruises for 2021. We've already cancelled our March 2021 cruise and plan to move our August 2021 Europe cruise to 2022. At this point we'll be happy if we can just travel outside of BC somewhere within Canada by August.

Canada approved it this morning. *fingers crossed*

Canada approved it this morning. *fingers crossed*
First doses should arrive here next week. BC is releasing it's vaccine plans/roll out schedule this afternoon. Apparently 4000 people are getting them next week, though I have no idea who these 4000 people are :rotfl2: Hopefully we will find out everything we need to know in about an hour at the news conference.

First doses should arrive here next week. BC is releasing it's vaccine plans/roll out schedule this afternoon. Apparently 4000 people are getting them next week, though I have no idea who these 4000 people are :rotfl2: Hopefully we will find out everything we need to know in about an hour at the news conference.

If it‘s like us in Quebec, it’s people in hospitals and nursing homes for the elderly.

If it‘s like us in Quebec, it’s people in hospitals and nursing homes for the elderly.
So next week it's 4000 doses for front line healthcare workers in Vancouver Coastal and Fraser Health regions. ER staff, Covid ward staff, staff from LTC homes. By early January that will be expanded to 9 areas around the province for more front line staff, those who live in LTC homes, those over the age of 80. By the end of March they think almost 400,000 BC residents will be vaccinated. That is 8% of the population. They say by the end of August/early September anyone who wants one should have already had access as we get more vaccines, more injection sites, more people eligible. Our PHO says our 'summer should be a fairly normal one.' Guess we will wait and see. I still think the Alaska cruising season is toast and I'm 95% sure we will be pushing our Europe cruise (again) to 2022.

Update: Since the Magic sailing was cancelled and no way to replace our Bermuda cruise without spending billions on another cruise line (LOL), we decided to change itineraries instead. We’ll do a separate trip to NYC. We’ve replaced the cruise with a Carnival Sunrise cruise departing from Miami, with stops to Nassau, Half Moon Cay and Grand Turk. My husband and I have done that itinerary before but at this point, I don’t care... I just want to be on a cruise.

For 100$ less pp than the Bermuda cruise, we got from inside cabin to verandahs.

Update: Since the Magic sailing was cancelled and no way to replace our Bermuda cruise without spending billions on another cruise line (LOL), we decided to change itineraries instead. We’ll do a separate trip to NYC. We’ve replaced the cruise with a Carnival Sunrise cruise departing from Miami, with stops to Nassau, Half Moon Cay and Grand Turk. My husband and I have done that itinerary before but at this point, I don’t care... I just want to be on a cruise.

For 100$ less pp than the Bermuda cruise, we got from inside cabin to verandahs.

Just a FYI, I just booked a 4 Day on MSC Davina (Oct. 2021 out of PC) instead of RCL Mariner (forfeiting a $200.00 Credit on RCL from a canceled Mariner) because MSC was less $$$$.

Just a FYI, I just booked a 4 Day on MSC Davina (Oct. 2021 out of PC) instead of RCL Mariner (forfeiting a $200.00 Credit on RCL from a canceled Mariner) because MSC was less $$$$.

I know!!! MSC have great prices right now!

I have one booked for April (God knows if it will happen) and the prices were so low!!! Will not hesitate to book again if it gets cancelled.

I've cruised DCL 21 times and Carnival twice. On the second Carnival cruise, we witnessed an obscenely drunk woman haranguing another passenger over a deck chair, cursing loudly in the process. The drunk woman's husband gave her an approving "whoooo" and ordered her another drink, as her children looked on.

I haven't seen anything quite like that on Disney.

I've cruised DCL 21 times and Carnival twice. On the second Carnival cruise, we witnessed an obscenely drunk woman haranguing another passenger over a deck chair, cursing loudly in the process. The drunk woman's husband gave her an approving "whoooo" and ordered her another drink, as her children looked on.

Thankfully we haven't either, but there have been stories from others that they have seen it. I will say Disney is tempting fate with how much they give you to drink in mixology... the first time we attended I drank what I was given and had to take a long nap afterwards. :laughing:

I did. During the first hour of being on my first Disney cruise.

I also saw a guy being violent towards his wife (throwing a suitcase at her) at a Disney World Resort and a child punching her grandma in the stomach at another Disney World Resort.

This can happen anywhere.

Thankfully we haven't either, but there have been stories from others that they have seen it. I will say Disney is tempting fate with how much they give you to drink in mixology... the first time we attended I drank what I was given and had to take a long nap afterwards. :laughing:

OMG, so true. 5 or 6 drinks during mixology and I think 6 or 7 glasses of wine during wine class. Phew.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter