CARNIVAL VS DCL: The discussion and comparison thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning,

Anyone affected by the new cancellations? (January to March for certain sailings).

I haven’t heard from MSC yet but this is getting dangerously close to my April sailing.

How is everyone holding up so far?

I am glad I don't have anything booked for next year (yet). My next is MSC in late Jan 2022. Hopefully by then these miracle vaccines will be in distribution and we'll be able to get them. Now if I can still work from home after that I will be very happy ;) I am really liking not having a commute, especially with winter on it's way! Plus it's letting kiddo be home schooled, which he is thriving with, and that allows vacation whenever we want instead of on the school board's schedule.

I dream of cruising though. Can't wait to not have to cook and clean, and feel the warm breezes... pools and beaches, deck parties, fun excursions. I am glad we have photos of previous trips to look at and remember the fun times. Kiddo will be 12 on the next cruise, I think he will finally not have to wear a bracelet with his muster station on it, and be up a level in kids clubs.

Ours are booked for June 2021, I’m going to be so mad if they get canceled. This is the first year since 2004 that we can’t go to Disneyland, World or a Disney Cruise. We’ve decided to drive to Disneyland the weekend before Christmas to shop at Downtown Disney and California Adventure. They just opened up DCA for shopping and a few restaurants, gotta get our Disney fix somehow. Hopefully we can get our cruise fix on in June, still haven’t decided if it will be on Carnival Mardi Gras in the Caribbean or Disney Magic in the Mediterranean, can’t lose either way.

Ours are booked for June 2021, I’m going to be so mad if they get canceled. This is the first year since 2004 that we can’t go to Disneyland, World or a Disney Cruise. We’ve decided to drive to Disneyland the weekend before Christmas to shop at Downtown Disney and California Adventure. They just opened up DCA for shopping and a few restaurants, gotta get our Disney fix somehow. Hopefully we can get our cruise fix on in June, still haven’t decided if it will be on Carnival Mardi Gras in the Caribbean or Disney Magic in the Mediterranean, can’t lose either way.

Let’s just say that now that some cruise lines cancelled sailings up until March 31, 2020, I’m more confident in your June sailing than my own April 2 sailing.

Wow, I’d hate to have to pick between Mardi Gras in the Caribbean and Magic in Mediterranean... What are the ports on both?

Let’s just say that now that some cruise lines cancelled sailings up until March 31, 2020, I’m more confident in your June sailing than my own April 2 sailing.

Wow, I’d hate to have to pick between Mardi Gras in the Caribbean and Magic in Mediterranean... What are the ports on both?
Magic is out of Rome, with a couple ports in Italy and 3 Greek Isles stops, 8 day cruise. Mardi Gras is a B2B with stops in Cozumel, Costa Maya, Roatan, Puerto Rico, Jamaica and maybe Grand Cayman????
We’ve been to the Italy ports before but not Greece and have been to all Caribbean islands except Puerto Rico and Costa Maya. The B2B is cheaper in 2 extended length balcony cabins than the Magic in 2 interior cabins and since Mardi Gras is brand new we’re super excited to try her.
I’m definitely leaning towards Mardi Gras. We have air credits to Orlando from our Disney Fantasy cruise that was cancelled this year so that’s a wash too. We can use the credits toward a flight to Rome but will still have to pay about $600/person more, (me, wife and 2 college age kids).
Based on what I’ve recently read on another thread I’m starting to wonder if the Magic will even cruise Europe next summer so I may not even have to make the decision 🤷🏻‍♂️

We are *supposed* to be traveling to San Diego for Christmas and of course, Disneyland isn't open. I was so hopeful after WDW started opening that DL would follow, but doesn't look like it. Would have been our first time! DH & I will drive down to see Downtown Disney & whatever parts of DCA we can, but it'll be so frustrating to be standing outside the gates of Disneyland and unable to get in!

All the vaccine news keeps me hopeful that our our Alaska cruise will sail next September, but honestly who knows at this point. I'm truly hoping CCL (and other lines) will tentatively start back up in February, even if it's just for test runs. I do think they need the chance to figure out what their next steps can realistically be.

I don't think the EU/UK will want Americans until enough people have been vaccinated. I don't think that will happen by June/July. Maybe Fall at the earliest. I'm waiting for all the Europe 2022 releases to decide what to do for DS's belated grad trip.

So, we had this cruise planned for Easter week-end and suddenly our transporter moved our reservation to another day which put our cruise project in jeopardy. They offered to cancel our reservation and give us a credit so we did that. But now if we choose to go, we have to go with another airline.

However, this week in the news, they started saying that the vaccines might not be distributed until later in the year in Canada... Which means the mandatory quarantine might still be a thing and at that time of the year, we won't have much vacation days left.

So I might have to push that one back as well :(

1) We have learned more encouraging news yesterday (about vaccine distribution) so we decided to take a chance and rebooked a new flight. Yep, still living in the denial den. *fingers crossed*

2) Happy (belated) thanksgiving to all my neighbours from the south. I hope you and your families are safe and healthy. :)

3) Does anyone know if Carnival is doing a black friday deal today? I think in the past years they used to give 10% off excursions or something?

My cruises are so far out they don't even list excursions yet! Though maybe by next year there will be a discount again.

And yes, there was last year.

I logged in to check my MSC cruise for 2022, wondered if there would be excursions showing yet or any discounts. Got very confused, the ports have changed, dates are off by one and my cabin is now guaranteed. Then noticed they changed ships! I didn't even get an email from them. When they did this for my Dec 2020 cruise they at least sent me an email and upgraded my cabin. This time, nothing, not even the ability to choose my cabin. I'd better get something from them. It's gone from 14 nights all western ports to 14 nights West/East combo. More sea days, and we're losing Costa Maya which kiddo was super excited for. This all assuming by 2022 things will be going normally of course. Not even sure what to do now. I guess I'll see what they have to say.

Well, I have started the process to cancel our 2021 BI cruise. I cancelled the flat in London and hotel in Dover. I am going to hold off on the excursions until I see what our replacement cruise will be. Hoping if we are at some of the same ports the tour companies will just move our reservation instead of having to refund us.

We gave the graduates 3 options as a replacement trip for next summer and they chose WDW! I am shocked. I thought they wanted the beach. We have to stay offsite in order to afford something with a kitchen and laundry so that will be so different along with all the park changes. Guess I better get cracking on learning all the stuff.

Well, I have started the process to cancel our 2021 BI cruise. I cancelled the flat in London and hotel in Dover. I am going to hold off on the excursions until I see what our replacement cruise will be. Hoping if we are at some of the same ports the tour companies will just move our reservation instead of having to refund us.

We gave the graduates 3 options as a replacement trip for next summer and they chose WDW! I am shocked. I thought they wanted the beach. We have to stay offsite in order to afford something with a kitchen and laundry so that will be so different along with all the park changes. Guess I better get cracking on learning all the stuff.

I don’t know if it’s true but I heard the Disney Hotels rates are the lower they have ever been? (Haven’t checked) The villas have kitchenettes (not sure about laundry).

A friend of mine has stayed at the Westgate Lakes and Spa Resort and had a great experience and the prices were just ridiculusly low compared to Disney.

Well we love staying onsite but we offered to pay for the accommodation for all 7 of us. We invited my son’s GF mother and brother (none have ever been to Disney). She is a single mom who works 2 jobs and her ex is always behind on child support. Also offered to pay for all groceries for meals when not in the parks. We will all be together and we get to show them our Disney love (at least they won’t know the difference with all the changes)! At this point I am not even looking for the perfect trip just the thought of getting away is enough.

Just got an CCL email for a "free" beverage package on cruises between April-December 2021. I was super excited, but I briefly compared a sailing in the Cyber Sale promo vs. the Beverage package promo and I'm not sure if there's even a difference at all:

Beverage Package Promo: 6 Night Eastern Caribbean on the Freedom, 10/31/21, Oceanview: $729 pp
Current Cyber Sale Promo: Exact same sailing: $429 pp

Beverage package for 2 on a 6 night sailing: about $750 with gratuities

I'm going to assume the BP promo doesn't include the gratuities you pay along with it (could be wrong), but looks like I'd be paying about the same cost no matter the promo.

Another round of cancellations posted. All the cruises they still had through end of February and Mardi Gras inaugural pushed back again.

I really think that passenger cruising won't be back until the vaccine is largely available to the public. I think the CDC is saying by May or June the general population will have access.

I am considering something for next year Oct/Nov/Dec. According to the Prime Minister here people should be vaccinated by September - whether that is everyone who wants it or not I don't know, but we have a much smaller population than the US. I'm hoping that would mean we can travel then. Because oh I want a trip.... But whether it's a cruise or a Disney trip, that remains to be seen at this point! I wonder because I have the MSC for end of Jan 2022, so I could wait. Just not sure I want to wait :)

I am considering something for next year Oct/Nov/Dec. According to the Prime Minister here people should be vaccinated by September - whether that is everyone who wants it or not I don't know, but we have a much smaller population than the US. I'm hoping that would mean we can travel then. Because oh I want a trip.... But whether it's a cruise or a Disney trip, that remains to be seen at this point! I wonder because I have the MSC for end of Jan 2022, so I could wait. Just not sure I want to wait :)

Can you see your family for Christmas? Because in Quebec, PM Legault just slapped us with a "no visitors for Christmas" rule, less than two weeks after saying we would be allowed to be 10 people or less for 1 to 2 parties between December 24th and 27th. All of us are going nuts with this lockdown...

If you see someone bawling (of joy) on a cruiseship in 2021, it will probably be me.

I'm 100% certain our April cruise will be cancelled now.

Can you see your family for Christmas? Because in Quebec, PM Legault just slapped us with a "no visitors for Christmas" rule, less than two weeks after saying we would be allowed to be 10 people or less for 1 to 2 parties between December 24th and 27th. All of us are going nuts with this lockdown...

If you see someone bawling (of joy) on a cruiseship in 2021, it will probably be me.

I'm 100% certain our April cruise will be cancelled now.

Ontario said no to Christmas get togethers a few weeks ago. I expected that and have been prepping my son for it. My parents dropped off all our gifts today, my sister lives closer and we'll exchange gifts on one door step or another closer to the day. My son's birthday is next week as well, and no party this year. I will try and make it special any way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts