CARNIVAL VS DCL: The discussion and comparison thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ugh, why are the deposits for RCL $1K? That seems excessive, esp for a cruise that is $3800US total. With the current CAD exchange rate the deposit is $1300CDN. I really want to try Oasis of the Seas for Spring Break 2021, but my dh is reluctant to shell out such a large deposit (refundable as I went all the way to the end of the booking and chose the refundable option!) for a cruise so far in advance.
This is the reason we haven’t booked with royal. I know it has to be paid eventually but we really prefer smaller deposits.

We're also getting 'hung up' on things like drink packages etc, things we've never had to deal with on DCL. Trying to determine if drink packages are worth it or not.....darn, remember when vacation planning was simple? :rotfl2:

We're also getting 'hung up' on things like drink packages etc, things we've never had to deal with on DCL. Trying to determine if drink packages are worth it or not.....darn, remember when vacation planning was simple? :rotfl2:

The only time I've been to WDW was nearly 30 yrs ago. I sometimes think about going back, but then I think about how you need to plan for meals, fast passes, etc. When we went we didn't have to do any planning, we just showed up, it was great!

And all the cruise lines are different, offer different types of drink packages. So a drink package may make sense on one line and not another. We just purchased a coffee drink package on princess that gives you I think it is 15 specialty coffees and hot chocolates for $35. I wish dcl had something like that.

And all the cruise lines are different, offer different types of drink packages. So a drink package may make sense on one line and not another. We just purchased a coffee drink package on princess that gives you I think it is 15 specialty coffees and hot chocolates for $35. I wish dcl had something like that.

That coffee deal would be great! I don't drink pop or tea, but must have a decent cup of coffee each morning. And the coffee at the drink stations/MDR isn't very good.

I just saw the Carnival Vista and Valor(I think that was the name of the ship) will both be in Cozumel on the same day that we are there on the Fantasy(DCL). Do Carnival and DCL use the same port? I would love to see the Vista up close and in person. Plus, I think if my dd saw the Vista she would get excited about doing a cruise on it.

Drink packages are really something you have to determine what's best for you and your vacation style. People ask all the time "is the beverage package worth it?" and no one can give you that answer. For DH & I, it is worth it and we factor it in to the overall cost of our vacation. A few specialty coffees, umbrella drinks by the pool, wine with dinner and cocktails during the shows, comedy clubs, etc, and it's paid for. Plus, I like knowing that everything is paid for beforehand and I won't get hit with a surprise bill. It's why we like the dining plan for our WDW trips. It's not right for everyone, but it's right for us.

I believe you can search for average drink prices for any given cruise line. That way you can get a basic idea of what you might need to budget and help determine if you want to pay for a package or not!

I would have really enjoyed that on our DCL cruise. Especially because it was a cold weather itinerary. I was in the Cove Cafe at least once a day and it would have been more if it had been covered in a package. I understand the lack of alcohol package, but I think some kind of coffee deal would do really well for them.

If you are having more than 5 drinks a day, it's usually a great deal.

My husband and I tried this and turns out we do not drink enough to make it worth the investment. :rotfl2:

Last edited:
I just saw the Carnival Vista and Valor(I think that was the name of the ship) will both be in Cozumel on the same day that we are there on the Fantasy(DCL). Do Carnival and DCL use the same port? I would love to see the Vista up close and in person. Plus, I think if my dd saw the Vista she would get excited about doing a cruise on it.

CORRECTION: I read too fast. No, they do not use the same port.

Last edited:
When we were on Vista in June, the Fantasy was docked at a different port. I took a picture of her from the top of Vista, but she was a ways away.

They normally port at different docks. I know because I was on the Carnival Magic and put into a shuttle from Chankanaab with people from the Disney ship. I realized as we went right on by the port where our ship was.

http://www.cruiseportinsider.com/cozumelschedule2019.html?ezpage=19 this is 2019's schedule showing which ship docks where. (if the link works).

Well drats, sounds like we probably won't be close enough to the Vista for my dd to see all her bell and whistles. If we dock next to some other ship with lots of fun stuff, I may just tell her it's a Carnival ship. Lol!!

Has anyone done Mr. Sancho's in Cozumel? It seems like it gets great reviews, but does anyone have first hand experience? I'm thinking of booking it for our group of 4 adults for January!.

Well drats, sounds like we probably won't be close enough to the Vista for my dd to see all her bell and whistles. If we dock next to some other ship with lots of fun stuff, I may just tell her it's a Carnival ship. Lol!!

I apologize. I read your question too fast. :/

Has anyone done Mr. Sancho's in Cozumel? It seems like it gets great reviews, but does anyone have first hand experience? I'm thinking of booking it for our group of 4 adults for January!.

I'm going... In January. LOL

EDIT: 2 weeks before you go.

Last edited:
The thing we find with the drinks package is we need to factor in everything before we decide. I to like to have a few mixed drinks by the pool, a glass of wine with dinner, but the big thing for me is I love sparkling water. Even a bottle of water to take off the ship. We easily go through 6 to 10 bottles of water a day, sparkling and plain. Fresh squeezed juice at breakfast. On Royal it even includes smoothies at the spa/gym. Factor that in and the drinks package is a bargain. At least for me.

Ugh, why are the deposits for RCL $1K? That seems excessive, esp for a cruise that is $3800US total. With the current CAD exchange rate the deposit is $1300CDN. I really want to try Oasis of the Seas for Spring Break 2021, but my dh is reluctant to shell out such a large deposit (refundable as I went all the way to the end of the booking and chose the refundable option!) for a cruise so far in advance.
Deposits on DCL are usually 20% of the cost, so if your cruise is $4500 (not out of range for a Disney cruise) your deposit would be $900 US. The more the cruise the more the deposit. I know that they sometimes have specials for deposits but that's never a sure thing.
Also, why would you book RCL in US dollars if your Canadian? We have been booking them for the last three years and always book in Canadian funds. Also the deposit is only $530 Cnd, are you maybe doubling the deposit thinking its per person? Here's what I see on the site in US when I pull up a random cruise date....

Total

$2,789.82

Minimum Deposit

$500.00

Double check and also think about booking in Canadian dollars. All you have to do is change the country code at the top of the RCCL page.

Deposits on DCL are usually 20% of the cost, so if your cruise is $4500 (not out of range for a Disney cruise) your deposit would be $900 US. The more the cruise the more the deposit. I know that they sometimes have specials for deposits but that's never a sure thing.
Also, why would you book RCL in US dollars if your Canadian? We have been booking them for the last three years and always book in Canadian funds. Also the deposit is only $530 Cnd, are you maybe doubling the deposit thinking its per person? Here's what I see on the site in US when I pull up a random cruise date....

Total

$2,789.82

Minimum Deposit

$500.00

Double check and also think about booking in Canadian dollars. All you have to do is change the country code at the top of the RCCL page.
Ugh....thank you!!! I can't believe I didn't change the country on the website, d'oh! Thanks for your help :)

The thing we find with the drinks package is we need to factor in everything before we decide. I to like to have a few mixed drinks by the pool, a glass of wine with dinner, but the big thing for me is I love sparkling water. Even a bottle of water to take off the ship. We easily go through 6 to 10 bottles of water a day, sparkling and plain. Fresh squeezed juice at breakfast. On Royal it even includes smoothies at the spa/gym. Factor that in and the drinks package is a bargain. At least for me.

Sparkling water is how I made it work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter