Carnival cruise ship damaged after slamming into pier amid strong winds

Kennywood

Kennywood
TAMPA, Fla. (WFLA) — A Carnival cruise ship docked in Jamaica was left damaged after its side slammed into the side of a pier.

The Carnival Magic made contact with the pier in Ocho Rios after a pier fender — the protective structure that helps prevent ships from colliding with the pier — fell off amid strong winds on Tuesday morning.

The ship, which departed from Florida on Sunday, had docked at the pier shortly after 8 a.m. local time, a few hours before the incident took place.

1707489343318.png

Carnival Cruise Lines confirmed the incident in a statement to Nexstar’s WFLA, but said operations continued as normal following the collision.

“Carnival Magic was involved in an incident while in Ocho Rios, Jamaica on Tuesday morning, Feb. 6 when strong winds and swells caused the pier fender to collapse under pressure, and the ship made contact with the pier,” reads a statement shared by Carnival.

The cruise line said no one was injured during the incident.

For the safety of the guests and staff aboard, the ship left the area and docked at a nearby pier. All guests that were ashore were able to get back on the ship.

Carnival also said weather conditions caused several cruises to cancel their docking in the Grand Cayman on Wednesday.

The Carnival Magic left Miami on Sunday. Its itinerary included stops at the Bimini Islands and Ocho Rios before its scheduled return to Miami on Saturday.

Source: https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/ne...1&cvid=9f5acf14d0f544699a059631b39a7eaa&ei=57

I saw that report. I wonder what if anything they'll have to do repair wise before they sail with new guests. Is there a maritime requirement of passing some sort of inspection?

The carnival ship that caught fire in its funnel sailed for months with the burned up black funnel. In this case, carnival didn’t seem to mind sailing with a damaged ship.

The carnival ship that caught fire in its funnel sailed for months with the burned up black funnel. In this case, carnival didn’t seem to mind sailing with a damaged ship.
The image is just too hilarious, assuming it was fine to be sailing with the damage.

Carnival is having a bad week, with this and "What was supposed to be a fun trip to the Bahamas turned into a nightmare for two Kentucky women who say they were drugged and raped — then treated like criminals by authorities when they reported the assaults."

Carnival is having a bad week, with this and "What was supposed to be a fun trip to the Bahamas turned into a nightmare for two Kentucky women who say they were drugged and raped — then treated like criminals by authorities when they reported the assaults."
Yikes! I hadn’t heard about the women in Bahamas. Was it Nassau?

I just read about this on a different news site. The article said they were on an excursion arranged by Carnival but then Carnival said it was an independent shore excursion. They did get toxicology tests which showed hardly any alcohol but benzos and cocaine in their system. Scary stuff. I know on shore excursions booked through the cruise line I have always drank the free drinks provided since I figured the excursion company is vetted and doesn’t want to lose partnership with the cruise line, but this gives me pause.

I just read about this on a different news site. The article said they were on an excursion arranged by Carnival but then Carnival said it was an independent shore excursion. They did get toxicology tests which showed hardly any alcohol but benzos and cocaine in their system. Scary stuff. I know on shore excursions booked through the cruise line I have always drank the free drinks provided since I figured the excursion company is vetted and doesn’t want to lose partnership with the cruise line, but this gives me pause.
During the actual interview I saw, they tried to clarify, that the excursion was advertised through Carnival but not booked through Carnival.

The image is just too hilarious, assuming it was fine to be sailing with the damage.
I actually sailed on that ship a couple weeks after the fire damage. They repaired the major bits to keep the ship sailing but didn't repair the cosmetics. I want to say they only cancelled the cruise immediately after the fires to make repairs. So the carnival tail that's on all of their ships was not there when we sailed. Some people were SUPER upset because they wanted pictures with the tail.

Just got off the Magic and there were a few ships that decided not to attempt docking in Cozumel Tuesday. The captain of the Magic probably took about 2 hours start to finish but actually got the vessel docked. The all ashore time ended up getting delayed from 10 am until about noon. Late Sunday night through Tuesday morning had very rough seas with waves over 23 feet and wind gusts over 60 mph. A lot of rolling going on.

actually a friend of mine from work actually was on the carnival ship that caught fire
He said it was pretty scary

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter