Care package suggestions.

CarolynNC

DIS Veteran
I need suggestions. My brother is currently serving in Iraq and craves mail. I want to send surprise care packages once or twice per week. Some of the mail isn't getting through so I need to send twice as many and I need ideas. I send magazines, snacks, & whatever I see in the store I think he might like. I'd like to have enough variety so give me your suggestions please.

Thanks for your help.

Carolyn

Did a search, and this is a website that I found..
http://www.equipped.com/deployed_military_suggestions.htm

Baby Wipes - great for taking a field bath - packets are better than tubs
Beef Jerky/Slim Jims
Energy Bars (Power Bar, etc.)
Hot Sauce (Tabasco, Red Devil, etc.) - wrap glass bottle in duct tape and place in doubled zip-lock bags
Sunflower seeds
Peanuts
Seasoning Salt (Lawry's, etc.)
Atomic Fireballs / Jolly Rancher hard candy
Powdered Energy/Electrolyte Replacement Drink Mix (Gatorade, etc.)
Chewing Gum
Avon Skin So Soft - great for removing face paint and also reputed to be an effective bug repellant (the latter seems variable based on personal experience and reports)
AA-cell Alkaline Batteries
Personal Hygiene Gear: Disposable Razors, Toothbrush and Tooth Paste
Eye Wash / Drops (Visine, etc.) for flushing dust and sand out of the eyes
Zip-Lock style Plastic Storage Bags - assorted sizes, heavier freezer style are better
Copenhagen Snuff in a tin ("Even if the service member doesn't dip snuff, they will be a hero and have more power than the Commanding Officer if they have a 'log' (10 cans) of 'Hagen.' A large percentage of infantry use this stuff and it is hard to get. The stuff they do get comes in a plastic can and tastes terrible. The 'Stateside Hagen' is the most powerful bargaining tool in a field environment!")
Pre-paid Phone Card so service member can call home

WOW! Thanks. I knew I'd get help here. I thank you and my brother thanks you (even if he doesn't know it)!

Carolyn

CarolynNC -

I have sent care packages to both my husband and other friends and here are some of my favorite things to include:

Tortilla Chips (I put them in their own box with peanuts and wrapped in bubble wrap so they don't get crushed) by anything which may be heavier.

Salsa = wrapped in double layers of bubble wrap

Jolly Rancher hard candy in assorted flavors (the hard candy won't melt)

CountryTime Lemonade (Don't know if he uses a canteen but this can help with a bad water taste)

Pepperidge Farm Cookies (again, I bubble wrap these to try to prevent breakage). The packages are smaller and the variety just tastes great.

Inexpensive hand-held games (Yahtzee, Tetris and Connect 4 cost about $10.00 each and can be thrown away if corroded by sand). I also send extra sets of batteries in a ZipLoc so the sand won't get to them.

Individually packaged wipes (Like Wet Ones) with nice scents to wipe hands and face.

Boxes of individual packs of Oatmeal (like Apple Cinnamon or Peach). MRE's for every meal gets really boring and there is often boiling water available to make the oatmeal.

I hope these suggestions help!! Take care and please thank your brother for his service!! What he is doing is very important!!

Thanks for the suggestions. I know I'd like to send a wide variety and he can always share what he isn't wild about. It's hard for him to ask for stuff. I guess he doesn't want to bother us. I'm already taking care of his dog, his house, and his finances. I just know how important it is for him to receive cards, letters, and packages.

Some of the boxes seem to disappear so I'm sending smaller packages in the hopes that more of them will get through. Maybe eventually everything will find it's way to him. He suspects some might be put to use by others.

The hardest thing to find are magazines to send that I think might interest him. I plan to visit a news stand today to look for more variety.

Thanks again for all your help.

Carolyn

other things to send:

cortiozone cream or some other kind of itching cream
foot powder/foot spray
asprin or tyelnol
small bottles of hand sanitizer
q-tips (helpful for cleaning weapons)
inexpensive pairs of sunglasses
and honestly though he doesn't use them female hygeine items are always needed by females
couple rolls of the nice toilet paper never hurt either

ritz crackers
cpray cheese
summer sausage
big cans of soup with pop top
pasta buckets
juice boxes

you can get free priority shipping boxes and tape at the post office or at the post office website but you do have to pay priority postage when mailing

Good Luck,
Tina

PS:

Sorry, forgot to suggest that each group of items be put in their own big ziploc bag. You never know what can explode and trust me spray cheese and hand sanitizer explodes. Those bags also come in handy for the soldiers. My husband put his clothing items in each bag to keep out the sand fleas and sand in general.

You might also want to replenish his socks and underwear supply every so often. I told mine just to leave them there and burn then when he came home.

My husband enjoyed the packaged ham and turkey, it's packaged like the tunafish in the foil package, I would send him crackers to eat it on.

Darlene
Proud Wife of a 4ID Soldier!
WE GOT HIM!!!

Thanks for all the suggestions. I've been on vacation for 2 weeks but sent off 2 packages before I left. I'm filling another (with some of your suggested articles) to be mailed tomorrow.

Carolyn

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter