cantilever umbrella

momz

DIS Veteran
We are in need of a creative solution to shading our swim spa. We currently have a cantilevered umbrella that I bought for $60 on extreme clearance a couple years ago.

I am finding that I love the shade it provides, but it is far from secure. It is the type that needs to be weighted down with paver stones, we have two layers of pavers on all for sides, but even a light wind will still knock it over. We recently put slits in the umbrella itself to help allow the wind to go through. However, it's still not the best solution.

Have you used this style of shade umbrella? What has been your experience? I don't mind spending more money, as I think my bad experience might be because of the cheap product. But, I don't want to spend a lot of money if I am going to experience the same problem with all of these products.

We are on our second (cheap) one. Both have been weighted down by water weights, first was hard cased & current one is soft-sided water containers. Both have been incredibly secure. We only had to replace when the fabric on the first one finally rotted away in the sun. Incredibly we bought both at the grocery store, paying $125 for the first, $75 closeout special on the second. These are the only ones we could find were we could tilt the actual umbrella sideways, making our patio more bearable in late evenings. The $600-plus models wouldn't allow us to tilt the umbrella top like that.

We are in need of a creative solution to shading our swim spa. We currently have a cantilevered umbrella that I bought for $60 on extreme clearance a couple years ago.

I am finding that I love the shade it provides, but it is far from secure. It is the type that needs to be weighted down with paver stones, we have two layers of pavers on all for sides, but even a light wind will still knock it over. We recently put slits in the umbrella itself to help allow the wind to go through. However, it's still not the best solution.

Have you used this style of shade umbrella? What has been your experience? I don't mind spending more money, as I think my bad experience might be because of the cheap product. But, I don't want to spend a lot of money if I am going to experience the same problem with all of these products.

Had one, returned it. It broke on the second day.

If you want a "permanent structure" sort of, I was thinking about making a concrete structure and putting a hole for an umbrella in it for myself actually.

Now when we were young my dad made a tether ball thing with a car tire. Easy enough.

I need shade in my backyard to cover a deck and a patio as well.

Right now we just use tables with umbrellas for shade. They are weighted with 100lbs of sand on the base plus the table to help.

Our neighbour just installed a new cantilever umbrella after having the same problem with the earlier cheap model. This one is very large, adjustable, and has a vented cover to permit some wind to pass through. It also required them to temporarily remove some patio stones, dig a 4 ft. deep hole , insert a steel female receptor pipe, and cement it in place with about 14 bags of concrete. Once the patio stones were replaced and the umbrella was in place it worked fine. Even on a very breezy day the umbrella is secure. But the whole thing was several hundred dollars.

Have you considered a sun sail shade? They come in many sizes and shapes for the area you want to cover. Try a google search if you are not familiar with them for images.

These are quite cost effective. I have seen some for about a hundred dollars.

Have you considered a sun sail shade? They come in many sizes and shapes for the area you want to cover. Try a google search if you are not familiar with them for images.

That is cool. :thumbsup2

I like that idea. But, I wouldn't have the slightest idea how to install such a thing. Or spa is up against the side of the house. Would I attach the sail to the house?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter